TW200 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In it's current form anything over 40mph feels like I am over reving it. I would like it to go 50mph comfortably. What and where do ya-all get sprockets? I have been driving the tar out of mine lately.(truck is in pieces at present) I have been commuting to work and to school and everything in between. it runs great-Just not fast enough. HELP?

·
Registered
866 Posts
In it's current form anything over 40mph feels like I am over reving it. I would like it to go 50mph comfortably. What and where do ya-all get sprockets? I have been driving the tar out of mine lately.(truck is in pieces at present) I have been commuting to work and to school and everything in between. it runs great-Just not fast enough. HELP?

The stock 14/50 gearing is perfect for 50-55 mph, and fine at WOT top speed. Some people that are worried about it revving so high go to a 14/47 or 15/50.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I like my 14/47. I see 60-65 every once in a while even at 265 lbs. Pretty flat down here in South Alabama though.

I have a 53 tooth rear sitting around somewhere and an extra chain.. Been thinking about putting it on just for grins.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
14/50 is good for 70+mph at redline. More than likely you'll need a long hill and a tailwind to run that fast. If the terrain is fairly flat, you ride at low altitudes, and not a lot of high winds, 15/50 or 14/47 might be better for you. If the terrain is hilly, you ride at high altitudes, and/or a lot of high winds, 14/53 may be better for you.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Since your bike sounds like a road bike pop on a 14/47 and run with it. It still won't cruise 50-55 the way you want it to, but it's a little better. High speed is something you have to learn to adapt to, the TW can't and will not cruise the highway at a relaxed pace. If you try to with stupidly tall sprockets you will just ruin the engine from the stress it will take trying to turn the damn gearing.

I was the same way with the TW - I went all the way down to 14/44 gearing and it still sounded like it ran too fast anything above 45 mph - I'm back to 14/47 now and I can do 50-55 just fine.

The TW will never cruise above 45 without sounding fast. What you must do as the rider is learn to adapt, the bike will be fine. Qwerty above has 47k miles running the hell out of it and personally I have 12.5k and counting with no issues at all yet. No leaks, burns, it just keeps going. Sounds kinda rough and noisy but I think that's normal..it's definitely not a smooth bike like say, a rebel or nighthawk 250. Those sound so beautiful and quiet in comparison!

·
Registered
918 Posts
Let it rev. It won't hurt it. Keep an eye on your oil level and enjoy.

I'd argue that 14/50 is better on the top end then 14/47, if you don't mind it revving. I sold my bike but was hoping to try a 15/52 (right between a 14/47 and 14/50). You need as much mechanical advantage as possible with this 200, but the 14/50 sucks for 1st gear on the road.

·
Registered
428 Posts
i run the stock 15 tooth front with a JT 47 tooth rear wit a DID chain. i have a top speed of 69-70 mph and can cruise at 60 mph with no sounds of over rev.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the advice! I just changed the oil last week in it LOL! Since I have been driving it everywhere. Currently Florida is like perfect temp for a bike. Plus my truck is tore down. I plan on counting the teeth to see what is on it . But I may try stock front and 47 rear.. What's on it is good shape- but it feels like it would climb a tree in 1st. My last dual sport was a DR650SE an that was the opposite-geared way to high.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Thanks for all the advice! I just changed the oil last week in it LOL! Since I have been driving it everywhere. Currently Florida is like perfect temp for a bike. Plus my truck is tore down. I plan on counting the teeth to see what is on it . But I may try stock front and 47 rear.. What's on it is good shape- but it feels like it would climb a tree in 1st. My last dual sport was a DR650SE an that was the opposite-geared way to high.

I went the other way around...got the TW first and then bought a DR this spring. Yeah, Suzuki gears them too tall for trail riding. It came stock with 15/42! Good for highway cruising, lousy for tight, single-track trails! Went to a 14T counter-sprocket and I'll probably get a 50T for the rear, next spring!

As for the TW, I tried running 14/42 but it sucked...just not enough power coming from the engine. I went back to 14/50 for many years and just recently went to a 14/47 and so far it looks good. Still enough jam for the trails and I'm not running out of gears in the city!

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
14/47 (3.357) and 15/50 (3.333) are real close to the same. Good for a street oriented bike top reduce the buzzing at highway speeds and too let 1st pull a little longer off the line. Okay for easy trails and dirt roads. Too tall for the gnarly stuff. Kind of lugging the engine at 30mph, though. Most of my riding is through a speed trap town with a 30mph speed limit, so I switched to a 15/52 this time to gain a little rpm at 30mph in 5th. Also, 15 and 52 have no common factors greater than 1 so the chain should last longer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts