TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK most should know what the odd item in this picture is.

How about - Who thinks they know what is is going to be?

Solution photo to follow in a few days or when someone correctly identifies it.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
TW jousting? I've never actually done it deliberately....

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Telescopic golf ball collector? u gonna ride ur tw on the golf courses in ur area and collect golf balls?

·
Registered
502 Posts
Mono pod with a golf ball attached? Hmmm, could be a lot of things... Alignment tool? Dog wacker? Portable automobile driver motivator? Lrzrd's jousting idea was my first thought, but then I thought that would probably be more fun with super balls on the tip in case of a glancing blow or going for the spokes.

There's a pretty wide range of stuff that come up out here, so you never know.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I live in a golf community. Lotza bent/broken telescoping golf ball retrievers around.

Key words being telescoping aluminum tubes.

Little cutting. Some drilling. Add a small bolt or pin as a stop and you have an emergency in the field jack stand.

Fits nice in the passenger peg for the rear and in the fork oil drain bolt recessed hole on the bottom of the forks for the front.

Very stable. Picture does not show it easily but the rear wheel is off the ground in the picture.

So, keep a look out at yard sales or trash cans near golf places and for maybe a couple of bucks you can make a jack stand.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Just a headsup. If you put it under the swingarm you can get rid of most of the excess length. Mine's made out of an old crutch. Collapsed length is under 11" so it'll fit in the middle of a tool roll.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This one is two pieces that collapses to about 11 inches.

I used the foot rest as the hole on the bottom gives a very stable point to hold onto.

For the front I shorten it up to about 12 inches total. I plan to drill a series of holes for more adjustment just so someone else could use it.

As far as laying the bike down to change the tire - I have a gel battery so that is covered but how about gas leaking?

This jack stand works just about like one made from a crutch. Just for me it was cheaper.

Had the old ball retriever available for $0.00. Looked for a crutch and found an old pair at Goodwill for $10.

Just wanted to show another option if someone wanted to make their own version of a light and portable jack stand.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Are the ball retrievers smaller in O.D. than the crutches?

I've seen some canes and walkers that were of smaller diameter tubing, but still stout enough to hold a bike.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ball retrievers have 4 or 5 sections. From maybe 0.75 down to maybe 0.375.

I used some of the middle sections. Could make a couple of more from some of the other pieces.

Most all of it seemed like it would be strong enough.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
I'm always looking to reduce the weight and bulk of my gear. I'm waiting for some orthopedic device with smaller diameter tubing like yours to show up in the local thrift store. Here's the crutch version which I shortened up to the minimum length that I could and still use it on my taller bikes. 11", 17 1/2" extended:

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Both ends, 3-4" off the ground. I don't run rear footpegs, but if you do Ezman's method is rock solid. Technically this could even be a hole or two shorter, but I also use it on other bikes.

Here's how I store it most of the time. If I'm loaded for a long trip my tools go in a different bag within my tail bag and the jack gets rolled up in my sleeping pad or tool roll:

I'd like to see what Ezman comes up with. Prolly there are better ways to come up with a less bulky and TW-specific version. Crutch tubes are bit over 1" O.D. and the crutch tips to fit them are pretty bulky. I think you could probably squeak by with 3/4" tubes. The internet is littered with crutch jack threads and there are even a couple of commercially made variants now.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts