TW200 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 1999 Tw there is a rattling noise, at first I thought it had to be the heat deflector on the exhaust, but it wasn't....after much searching it seams to be coming from down by the starter,,,or it sounds that way...its a rattling type of noise. This bike has always seems to do it, so I wasn't overly concerned. However now my 2003 is with 5k miles on it is starting to do it some time.
any ideas???
thanks

·
Registered
398 Posts
You may have one (or two) of the "clunkers". There is a thread here somewhere. Both, my 2010 & 2009 are "clunkers". Those of us who have them, we don't worry and just happily clunker along

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You may have one (or two) of the "clunkers". There is a thread here somewhere. Both, my 2010 & 2009 are "clunkers". Those of us who have them, we don't worry and just happily clunker along
I thought the clunkers made a noise a noise in the handle bars ...a clunking noise....my noise is a rattle

·
Registered
13,798 Posts
Could be lots of things.

Like you I had a rattling noise for about a year. Finally discovered one of my upper motor mount bolts was loose. Yep, that was the rattle. Later I had another rattle, this time it was a stone rattling around up there. Moral of the story, check for loose bolts.

Also thinking possible cam chain loose. 1999 has a manual tensioner, but the 2003 is auto. Most likely not the noise on the 2003, but worth mentioning.

And the engines do have a unique "not quiet" sound as well, but first I'd spend the time checking for external lose bolts and such. Other will have some other good idea's too.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
It is one of the few downsides of a TW. They are prone to making very scary noises that are very hard to locate and identify.
Fortunately, most of them are just noises, but the scary part is not knowing if they can safely be ignored.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
When I worked as a Yamaha mechanic, the Regional Service Rep would come around to instruct us on new model procedure, tech bulletins, etc. We weren't supposed to refer to normal "noises" as noises. We were to refer to them as "sounds". Apparently, to soothe concerned customers about a "noisy" bike. This wasn't one of his better tips!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
925 Posts
Yes, check those top engine mounts. Mine ('95 TW) was loose after only 300 miles post top-end rebuild. I KNOW I tightened them enough when motor was installed. Tighten everything else while you are at it. I actually lost a muffler mounting bolt one day.

And, if you have not, adjust the cam chain tensioner.

·
Registered
20,487 Posts
Nice to learn my TW doesn't make noises, just sounds.
Did Regional Service Rep mention how to have these TWs make power or money?

Reactions: scotti158

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Did Regional Service Rep mention how to have these TWs make power or money?
No power making tips. Buy low and sell high for the money making.:p

1 - 10 of 10 Posts