TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the weekend my son and I were talking about what to do with the Grandkids this summer at the summer place. My son told me he wants to take them out in the rowboat which my Dad bought in 1956. It was purchased from Simpsons and later about 1957 we added a 7.5 hp Elgin engine. The engine got water into the cylinders and is seized but there is a 3.0 hp Eska from about 1980. So the boat from 1956 is still in use - but I am pretty cautious about the life jackets from the same era.
I also still have the 48 base piano accordion that my folks bought for me in 1951. So at 62 years old - it was manufactured in 1948 it is the oldest thing I own that has been mine since I was 7 years old.
How about you - any old treasures - useless or useful still in your treasure box?

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I have a set of Craftsman tools that my father encouraged me to buy when I was 15 years old. It had a set of open end wrenches, and set of box end wrenches, and a set of 1/2" drives sockets with ratchet, extension and breaker bar. Still have it all including the metal box. That was 59 years ago. It was 28 dollars on sale.
Mel

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have a number of relatively old things- some that have been in my life forever. To pick one of my favorite toys: when I was 6 my Dad bought a 1948 Willys CJ2A flatfender jeep. A wooden top that may possibly have been built for a WWII military jeep in Germany was (loosely) fitted on it. Can you say "rattletrap"? A total fav as we grew up, my bro and I would ride sitting on the hood while Dad drove WA logging roads. It was different then, no gates, no fences, and no one in the back country. It was actually RARE to find another four wheel drive!!! We got stuck fairly often, had old-jeep breakdowns fairly often, pulled cars out of ditches many times. We loved it and the adventures it took us on. I took my drivers license test in it, the large-ish inspector having some difficulty clambering in the little vehicle. It had no turn signals nor brake lights, so I did hand signals out the window!! The most ambitious trip the family took was a semi-expedition far into Canada with 2 canoes strapped to a huge home made rack. By then it had a winch. In the early 70's it was pretty far gone, still running, and I determined to rebuild the old kicker. A frame-up restoration ensued.

I still have it. Been around so long it's been 5 colors. Endless stories. I was a kind of bookish kid and had to learn to weld, wrench, rivet...insisted that I do everything myself, learning to rebuild transmissions and axles, gas torch work... Some excellent teachers surfaced out of the woodwork. Eventually it got a V-6 and a completely custom transmission; 20 forward speeds and 6 reverses including the PTO/electric winch. The jeep has been hi-lead across rivers and hung from trees, lowered & raised over vertical cliffs. It has rolled twice with relatively little damage and no injuries. There's a crane for the winch that has built houses, lifted huge objects, changed many engines. A vice is mounted on the front bumper, handy for sharpening chain saws, doing a field weld repair, or splicing winch cable. After a bad mud run, there's a washing system running though the undercarriage- hook up a garden hose and drink a beer while it washes itself. Longest trip was a 3 month stroll around the Southwestern States in 1980, long before there were dark tire prints on the friction rocks.

The jeep's main job now is servicing a hobby mining claim way back in the N. Cascades. It's a 5 hour trip with the jeep, crawling up an old mining track that has turned into a boulder strewn creek. TW does the same trip somewhat quicker & lots cheaper, but cannot haul an eighth as much as you can pile on that jeep. So the Willys gets used for the major moves. Have never gotten any other automobile clear in; quads have a hard time.

R.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Wow Mel. That would have been a significant purchase for a young man. That $28.00 in 1955 would be $243.00 in today's money. Looks like your got your money out of that purchase. Times change though. I have always bought Craftsman tools. Many times I would take in a broken tool and get handed a new one, no questions asked. Last time I broke a ratchet wrench I took it in...and they handed me a little bag of crap and told me to fix it myself. Sigh....

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Smith and Wesson 01.jpg

Not the oldest things I own{but among my favorites}, my dad who passed away in 1972 and his mom, my grandmother, were both avid collectors....this Smith and Wesson .38 police special has a manufacturing code date in 1903...sold to the Van Wert County{Ohio} Sheriff named Fred Hott....it was used to dispatch a Ohio and Northeast Indiana Outlaw named Marvin Kuhns....I also have Kuhn's Iver Johnson which was on him when he met his match near Scott, Ohio, on the Van Wert/Paulding County Line....Kuhn was from Wolf Lake, Indiana, but left a trail of blood and robbery across Ohio and Indiana when Hott and his Posse' gunned him down in June of 1907.

Top...Fred Hott's S&W .38 Bottom...Marvin Kuhn's .38 Iver Johnson and a photo of Marvin Kuhn laid out on the County Sheriff Office Death Bed

Iver Johnson 1.jpg MarvinKuhns.jpg

Reactions: rurlndum

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Good golly. Marvin Kuhns was killed by a posse of 200 men armed with rifles and shotguns. Talk about poor odds. That was a good story Hoot.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Go back on my blog a couple years ago....guess I could link it....but I have several stories and photos of Marvin and his exploits and death{plus all the related stories from the Van Wert Paper}...although a major outlaw, reading the stuff he was involved in, really doesn't seem that bad, compared to some criminals we have seen over the last century...but he did make quite a name for himself in these parts:

___prh...a day in the life....: The Life and Times of the Outlaw Marvin Kuhns Part 1

___prh...a day in the life....: October 20, 2011--The Outlaw Marvin Kuhns part deux from the Rant in February 2008... Part 2

I have written several newspaper articles about ol Marvin, and co-worte one with a lady from the Paulding Paper that won a national award...well actually she wrote it, and I suppied some photos and knowledge of the Infamous Criminal :p

+
+

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
I will check those out Hoot. And my sincere apology to Polarpilot for going full Achille Lauro on this most excellent idea for a post.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Yep, I kind of helped you Hijack this thing...carry on ladies and gentlemen....we didn't mean no harm :eek:

·
Registered
925 Posts
Watch.jpg

I also still own, in good working condition, my railroad watch from 1967. It was probably made in 1953.

I bought it, used, in 1967 for $35. I had a summer job as a brakeman on the Southern Pacific railroad out of Roseville, CA. Had to have a "certified" watch. No digital back then.

Value now: Who's counting?

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I have a bunch of old antique fishing stuff that was my grandfathers from before my dad was born. I also have my dads boat from when he was a kid, if i remember correctly it was bought somewhere around 1955. Its a 12' aluminum rowboat and its built like a tank. Way more sturdy than anything you can buy today, i still use this quite often. I think my fave would be the 1962 3hp Evinrude outboard that was also my fathers as a kid. See the pic below. Its still is perfect shape and it still runs like a champ if i can find non ethanol fuel to put in it. Since non ethanol is hard to come by there days i don't run it much.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Damn that ^^^^ reminds me of my days growing up in Florida on the Gulf Coast {Venice} in the 50s and early 60s....dad, a mechanic by trade{worked on B-29 and B-17 engines during WW II}, had a collection of Outboards he used on our boats....and he always said that Evenrude and Johnsons were the easiest to work on, quickest to start, and hardest to wear out!

Reactions: rurlndum

·
Registered
49 Posts
Longest owned 1966 GMC shorty stepside my grandfather bought new, I got it in 1980 in High School.
Oldest 1960 Corvette project, I have had that for 10 years, my Mother had it for 30 years before me.
Too bad both are currently garage ornaments!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts