TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mine was when I recently replaced the float valve on my wife's TW. A simple operation, but... Upon reassembly I reversed the fuel supply hose and the float bowl vent hose at the carb. I managed to fill the air box with gas (the duck bill vent was sealed), and then a couple quarts of gas into the crackcase. All the time wondering why the bike wouldn't start.

Now that was stupid!

·
Registered
866 Posts
I've owned all kinds of Honda and Suzuki, and even Yamaha dual purpose bikes. The TW is my first Yamaha with mirrors. I didn't like the stock mirrors so I removed the left hand mirror, and lo and behold, the right mirror was stuck. I pried and pulled and heated and lubed, nothing. I cut if off and ground it down to almost nothing, tried using screw extractors. Nothing. When I finally ground it down to just the bare bolt, it spun out with ease, in the opposite direction of normal. Lol, Yamaha's right mirror has a left handed thread. The thought had never crossed my mind. I guarantee you, if I had turned the wrench to the right the first time, the mirror would have come out very easily.

Luckily, I didn't like the mirrors anyway. The cost of tuition was fairly low.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Rodney, Humility is a major sign of intelligence. The fact that you can tell the story makes you a very intelligent person. Somehow I ended up with a pair of antivibration mirror connectors = they are only about 1 inch long but are supposed to soften mirror vibration. One of the them (the one I installed on the left fit just fine and raised my mirror about 1" so its better), but the other one had the insane thread combination such that it was right handed threads (wrong for the TW)on one end and left handed threads on the other. I'm still confused what I can do with it other than use a Yamaha mirror on a non yamaha bike or ????? So I have one mirror that is 1" taller than the other - it does make me sit slightly crooked on the bike to keep my shoulders level in the mirrors. Cheers. Tom

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Stupidest thing I've done with Tdub is ride east from Big Bend. I miss the desert.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I've only had mine about a month....give me time!! Oh, I'll be taking the driving test for my endorsement on Thursday. It's supposed to snow here. Slip slidin' away........

·
Registered
421 Posts
Nothing stupid yet, I am sure I will do something stupid eventually.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have done all sorts of stupid things to/on bikes...as for the TW, took it down an unmarked trail in the Boise foothills I had never been down, by myself after telling no one where I was headed. About three hours into a short 20 minute jaunt (what I told the wife) I came to the conclusion I was an idiot for doing so. Ended up lost as heck on a highly technical single track trail and dropping off a ravine where I was unable to go back up, dumping the bike twice in a stream, and getting stopped at a cliff edge that was way too rocky for an experienced trials rider much less my fat butt on a TW. Finally was rescued by a hiker that told me about an old over-grown cattle road that led out. Ended up having to lift the bike over a two foot gate at the parking lot clearly signed for "Foot traffic only."

hmmm, that was pretty stupid, anyone up for a ride?

·
Registered
102 Posts
my tw wasnt starting for a while so i continualloy sprayed starter fluid into the spark plug and it would start up.
i was browsing the web one day and i came across a problem similar to mine and he was also spraying the evil fluid into the spark. well anyways i saw somewhere that the fluid washes the oil off the upper components and causes alot of damage! so i stopped imediatley. starter fluid is made for diesel trucks! ive heard cases were people used it and their engines wouldent start anymore without it! they call them "etherbabys" bc starter fluid is made of ether. anyways i eventually found the problem. it was the boot that conected the engine to the airbox it was rotted out and developed a crack all around it. the crack prevented the engine from providing enough compression to start the engine (starter fluid made is easier to create a spark and start up the engin, not neeeding compression) after that the engine started pretty good, thank god! i was soooo scared that it was going to end up a "etherbaby"

·
Super Moderator
652 Posts
Going over the handle bars after whacking the left bark buster on stump alongside the trail. Flew through the air, hit the dirt and rolled down and over the trail embankment. At least I wasn't stupid enough to be riding unprotected, I had MX boots, elbow guards, shin guards, MX chest protector and gloves with hard knuckle protection. I rolled to the bottom of the hill and wasn't hurt at all. My son was looking down, wide-eyed, not sure what had just happened.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rodney's story is great! I feel better.

It reminds me of my dad who had trouble drilling a hole in a piece of steel. He spent a half a day getting nowhere. Made two trips to the hardware store buying more expensive bits. He ended up with some $20 titanium plasma coated cobalt bit and still wouldn't go into his project. I came to the rescue when I flipped the switch on the reversible drill back to the "normal" direction, and Tada.. Drill bit went through like butter.

And I too had to lift a bike over a cattle gate to avoid the long way around.

·
Registered
462 Posts
haha!

Great responses here. I'm like shadow, all of the time. TW is my time to be stupid. I'm young, without children or a serious girlfriend, so I use TW to escape the modern world and head for wilderness. I have a couple of dual sport friends, but rarely go out with someone else. My introduction to the dual sport world was a solo event and 90 percent of the land surrounding this area, I've discovered by myself. I often run into pairs of riders that nearly always ask, "are you here by yourself" I proudly (and sometimes stupidly) admit, yes.

There is so much talk on this forum and others to always venture out with another. I know there are many here who are solo riders and will continue to be, like myself. Although it is a great experience with another and usually I would prefer to have a friend with, there is a unique thrill being alone in the wilderness that can not be duplicated with a partner. The thought of complete reliance on a machine, being far from the reach of civilization, with minimal food and no easy access to water (only beer) really hones my perspective of life. Much like climbing, the intimacy shared with Earth is magnified when alone. With climbing (free solo) there is no gear, just yourself, your shoes and fingers and the rock. Your every moment dictates whether you'll see the summit or spend the last few moments of life pondering what is next as you free-fall to the surface of Earth.

There are more opportinities to appreciate the surroundings and take them in completely when alone, in the quiet and desolate surroundings. Very meditative, I believe; it is my escape from life. Call it stupid, but I like the danger and the thought that my life is mine to uphold and should I present myself with a situation, it is up to me to bring myself out of it, it a safe and respectable manner - I really can't get enough of it.

Perhaps what I mean from this, is that I am stupid every ride I take alone. I bring minimal tools, snacks, and water and usually plenty of beer. I am always about 5-20 miles outside of cell phone reception (1-3 hours from the city), so communication is not present. I never tell anyone where I will be or when I will return. I find an extreme enjoyment solo riding into the wilderness while being slightly intoxicated on my beer - which could be arguably very stupid. But, I have successfully put over 10,000 miles on TW this way and have enjoyed it every moment. I have a cracked (fixed) engine case, some bent (still factory) levers and handles and a few scares for reminders. I'm never out of control, damaging to myself or the environment, nor do I pass on any disrespect to others while out and about. Actually it's quite the opposite. I find enjoyment talking with random riders that stop and stop myself, for others to check on their well-being.

Anyway, to each his/her own and I find that emergency situations provide thrills to me and the thrills untimately hone my perspective for life and grow my appreciation for the earth we walk everyday.

Wheew! I digress. I can't wait for Spring

-Adam

·
Registered
13,915 Posts
These are all great responses, and some of us continue to contribute to how stupid we can be, ignor safety factor's, and do it all over again, me included.

Shadow and Adam, I resemble so much of your responses. Going places where no man and machine should go...and the solitude when we get there. And how the heck am I gonna get back!

Mine, similar to others:

Rode up old logging road which eventually turned into a single track, finally having to turn back when hill and trail were washed out. Turned back and broke my foot on a rock while riding across a creek. (No damage to the boot wouldn't ya know). And that wasn't even the stupidest part... Not telling ANYONE, not a sole of where I was going, was the stupidest part. Re-read Adams response being out of communication range and you'll know what I mean. A lot of what if's come to mind.

And despite my best intentions...I will continue to do stupid things! Just ask my wife!

·
Registered
572 Posts
I've owned all kinds of Honda and Suzuki, and even Yamaha dual purpose bikes. The TW is my first Yamaha with mirrors. I didn't like the stock mirrors so I removed the left hand mirror, and lo and behold, the right mirror was stuck. I pried and pulled and heated and lubed, nothing. I cut if off and ground it down to almost nothing, tried using screw extractors. Nothing. When I finally ground it down to just the bare bolt, it spun out with ease, in the opposite direction of normal. Lol, Yamaha's right mirror has a left handed thread. The thought had never crossed my mind. I guarantee you, if I had turned the wrench to the right the first time, the mirror would have come out very easily.

Luckily, I didn't like the mirrors anyway. The cost of tuition was fairly low.

Thanks for this, I've been trying to get that right mirror loose for a couple of days.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Wasn't on my TDub, but on my Shadow, I thought I could make it when it started to chug a lug.. Thinking I was low on gas, I reached down to switch to Reserve only to find that I was already on Reserve and past the last gas station 10 minutes prior. I turned around and started shaking the bike to get every last drop down into the carb... Ended up only pushing the bike 1/4 mile, and let me tell you, a 750 Shadow is no TDub when it comes to pushing!

·
Registered
13,915 Posts
Ended up only pushing the bike 1/4 mile, and let me tell you, a 750 Shadow is no TDub when it comes to pushing!

Mike, I resemble this remark as well. Atleast it wasn't a car! Mine was a 94 Sportster. Thought I was in trouble when Highway Patrolman stopped behind me. Just asked me about Harley's. Whew! I was legel though, I swear !

bbagwell, your right, you will!
Makes for good stories too!

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I pinched two tubes when I changed the front tire.

I also tried to do a burnout on a gravel road but the back tire grabbed good and almost flipped me over.

·
Registered
13,915 Posts
To use Adam's words "I digress". I know that tons of these types of pictures are everywhere, but my wife emailed these photo's today, and I thought the timing was ironic. And for some reason, I thought of Adam.

If I were the person in these two photo's, I believe I would be commiting "the stupidest thing I've ever done". Not once, but twice!

I know they are not TW riders, but they could be, but they qualify for what is the stupidest thing I've done, topic!

The caption for this picture said, "I hope that backpack is a parachute", or something like that.

Does anybody think Wile E. Coyote here?!

·
Registered
553 Posts
1. Thinking, just for a moment about selling it.

2. Sliding it down the road at about 40 to 50km/h. Slid well, no damage except for peg worn down and the barkbuster. Stopped sliding when it hit a car

·
Registered
72 Posts
I found this on the old forum. So, here's my Stupid TW Trick:

So, I took the TDub to the in-laws this weekend. They live near Orange in far Southeast Texas. The terrain isn't exciting, but they have about 40 acres, and it's sparsely populated out there. If you stray onto a neighbors property, not too big a deal. There are also some decent county roads, but everything is flat.

Anyway, after riding the weekend, I go to load the bike on my hitch mounted carrier. I get it up there without too much problem, and begin putting on the tie-down straps. I'm pretty well done with the ones on the handlebars, when I notice one of the straps is twisted in the ratchet mechanism, and so won't cinch tight enough.

Without thinking about it, I popped it loose. This was the one that is on the tailgate side of the carrier. With the other strap done down tight, the bike flipped over onto the ground like it was spring loaded (which I guess it kind of was). To add insult to injury, it also hung on the rack, and it took two of us to get it off. We ended up turning it completely upside down and laying it over on the side to pick it up.

Amazingly, the only thing I need are new mirrors. They bent beyond use, but all else (except my wounded pride) is OK. The levers needed to be rotated back in place, but the hand guards prvented them from breaking. It started right up on the first try.

I can laugh now, but it is a blessing that no one was standing by the carrier. That would have been ugly.

So much for keeping the rubber side down. The moral of the story, you have to be thoughtful and be aware, even off the bike, to be safe. This was an embarrising lesson to learn, but not one that I think I will repeat.

·
Registered
13,915 Posts
So, OakCliffThumper, which was the stupid part, going to the in-laws or the spring loaded TW hitch carrier?

Just kidding, I know it was going to the in-laws. No, wait, it was the spring loaded TW, the mirrors had to be replaced! And there were witnesses to boot! Gotta do that stuff alone so no one see's and it can't be proven! he he.

Almost done the same thing in the back of the pickup. Luckily the already loose strap was still attached to the handle bar.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts