TW200 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While out in the woods here is south Eastern pa I found this growing in a Y of a fallen Oak tree about 2' above the creel water level and I would think that during a heavy rain it would be under water,
Its in a mostly shady location but will get a bit of scattered sun and occasional direct light,
Its about 5" wide and nearly 12" tall,
Feels like a sponge.
Interesting,
Heres two pics and I have more if you want them.
Peter B

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
It's a variety of Hericium, a mushroom. It's edible and highly prized. There are 4 varieties in the US. It is popular in Japan and Chinese medicines. :D
While out in the woods here is south Eastern pa I found this growing in a Y of a fallen Oak tree about 2' above the creel water level and I would think that during a heavy rain it would be under water,
Its in a mostly shady location but will get a bit of scattered sun and occasional direct light,
Its about 5" wide and nearly 12" tall,
Feels like a sponge.
Interesting,
Heres two pics and I have more if you want them.
Peter B

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Holy Fungus Tommy, You're right!
How do you know such things?
I quick look says folks actually pay 50c a gram for this stuff,
I am out riding my mountain bike a couple days a week with the puppy beagle and I go right past this fungus and may harvest it to eat on a nice swiss burger,
Maybe a bit of bacon too?
Anyway,
Its out standingly lovely and interesting to look at,
Now I wonder how it will taste,
I can go back early next week,
Thanks all !
Ill tell Eileen that you guys know what anything is ! ! !

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
50 cents a gram??!!! Now where did you say this little spot was?? haha :D

I'm dumb as a rock, but just happen to be curious about certain stuff, so I looked it up. ;)
I am not riding my mountain bike a couple days a week with the puppy beagle and I go right past this fungus and may harvest it to eat on a nice swiss burger,
Anyway,
Thanks all !

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
I am not riding my mountain bike a couple days a week with the puppy beagle and I go right past this fungus and may harvest it to eat on a nice swiss burger,
Anyway,
Thanks all !
I will let you in on a little secret. If you use "Chrome" as your web browser you can right click on any picture and that will open a task shortcut menu. One of the menu items reads "search google for image" click on that and voila! Not every picture will return the results you are looking for but the vast majority do. Sorry LT;)

Tom

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
Yep, exactly. I'm running Chrome. (on your recommendation Tom) :)
I will let you in on a little secret. If you use "Chrome" as your web browser you can right click on any picture and that will open a task shortcut menu. One of the menu items reads "search google for image" click on that and voila! Not every picture will return the results you are looking for but the vast majority do. Sorry LT;)

Tom

1 - 13 of 13 Posts