TW200 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Looks like some type of cold weld material.
Probably put on as the mount was cracked or broken.
Not sure you want to get rid of it if the front brake is working.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
front brake is working but I'm not seeing an easy way to remove the front wheel with this stuff on there and it's new front tire time.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
With the bike on a stand, will not the wheel drop down enough once the axe is removed to allow the hub to pull out of the wheel so that you do not have to remove the "weld".
At some point you may have to deal with, as in the brake cable breaks.
Do you have a Dremel to grind the "Weld" into the proper shape of the bracket?

Reactions: Ken

·
Super Moderator
5,259 Posts
When it comes to “new front tire” time, you can still remove the front wheel without “disturbing” whatever it is that you have got going on under there

Personally, I think that it adds a certain amount of “mystic” to the proceedings, but I’d recommend carrying a spare cable just in case …..

Welcome to the madness ….

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I do have a dremel that I like working with. I figured that's what was going to happen next. Would anyone kindly post a picture of what it's supposed to look like?

·
Registered
297 Posts
One thing to keep in mind is that if that cable support fails you will lose all braking at the front wheel. That’s the majority of your stopping power. If it was me, I’d start searching for a new front brake backing plate. They cost $61.00 on boats.net. Good luck.
3Y1-25121-01-35 YAMAHA PLATE,BRAKE SHOE

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gastone, I think you're right, I haven't dug into it yet, but IMHO why else would it be covered in what looks like JB Weld or an epoxy if not to keep that cable support from breaking more. Nobody would goo that up unless they had to, so I'm assuming the previous owner broke that at some point and kinda glued it back together. Thanks for pointing me to the right part so quickly.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Good to hear you’re going to use a new part. At $61.00 plus shipping it’s less painful than I thought it would be.
There’s nothing like grabbing a handful of front break in an emergency and not finding any. ??

If you order it off boats.net be sure to verify your year and hub color. I wasn’t able to do that when I attached the link.

Reactions: Smitty Blackstone

·
Registered
107 Posts
Yikes, Looks like someone probably broke the threaded casting. It seems to be holding, but if it were me I'd probably replace that front outer cover. $73 bucks on bike bandit. Front brakes are probably 90% of your braking. It's only money. Hell of a lot better than a tree.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts