TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

What is this?

3K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  reddave 
#1 ·
I’ve got a stray wire under the gas tank. It’s not connected to anything and So far I haven’t found anything that’s missing a connectioOn the left side of the bike, along the frame. About 4 inches above where the carb hits the engine.
Also, I was having electrical difficulties for a while and traced just about every wire trying to find one that had a poor connection.. or wasn’t connected. Turned out it was the red one you see there.

also, for reference, this bike just ran today for the first time since 2006. It’s 2003 model. Or 2002. I received it in pieces out of storage.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi Kyran and welcome to the forum!

Congrats on getting your TW running. Sorry, I can't help you with your stray wire/connector but it is likely something from the headlight/instrument cluster/handlebar switches. Maybe someone who has their tank off of a 2001+ TW can help you out.

Brian

p.s. you are missing one of your top engine mount bolts

#4 ·
Just to add to the missing bolt: This engine mount is a supporting part of the frame structure so I would replace it soon. Also that mount cracks occasionally so it is good to inspect it whenever you have the tank off.

#3 ·
Welcome to the forum, and good job getting the bike running again. Side note - that is some awfully oddball damage to your left side crankcase cover. I wonder how that happened?

#5 ·
That is a big hole in the case. Is that for easier chain lubrication? My case has a bump on it from a sprocket tooth breaking off and hitting it. I can't imagine what would bust a hole that big in the case. I would suggest a piece of sheet metal or rubber cover riveted on to cover that hole. You don't want something flying and hitting your leg.

#7 ·
Well,
Not sure on the connector but, if I had to guess, I'd say while the bike was being ridden, the chain either broke or, somehow the master link came undone and, the chain just bunched up right there on top of the primary sprocket. It took the path of least resistance and, that was the top of that case giving way. Just a guess here.
Scott

#9 ·
Plug does look like it is for the side stand safety switch.
A simple test for confirmation is that a engine in neutral will stop when put in gear when the side stand is down or if this plug's terminals are not shorted across to each other.

Reactions: Kyran
#10 ·
Y’all, thank you so much for the quick reply’s! I ended up not connecting to anything and I’ll have to see if it was that kickstand thing. Probably was.

The big hole in the case? Yeah I have no idea what that’s from. Always kind of gnarly to me, like the kind of, “Something horrible happened here.”

The missing engine bolt? Yea I’m not sure if I lost it or it was lost by the original owner but I do need a new one. So I’ll have to either find one online or more likely get a bolt from Home Depot. Lemme know if you have a recommendation.

#13 · (Edited)
I’ll have to either find one online or more likely get a bolt from Home Depot. Lemme know if you have a recommendation.
My recommendation, skip Home Depot and go to a real hardware store or a Fastenal store. HD has a pitiful Metric selection and odds are they will not have the correct bolt. If i remember correctly this is an M8 1.25 bolt and its hardened. A decent hardware store should have a suitable replacement. You can also get a longer bolt and put a nylock nut on the other side to keep it from coming off again. When i did mine i think i got 25mm long bolts. Take a look at the link below and you can see what i did.
Some strength mods for the TW200

#12 ·
Damn! Well it's sure better than your ankle...

Reactions: Ken
#18 ·
Dang...turns out I'm lucky after all?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.