TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, new TW200 owner, just picked her up last Saturday from the dealership. Was looking over the bike and noticed this under the rear fender. Need help to identify what it is. Looked in the owners manuel and did not see any explanations. Thanks...
Tire Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Fender

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It should be a straight connection to the POS and neg on your battery. Used to trickle charge or attach some accessories to, like heated gloves or jacket. It should also have a fuse somewhere along the line.
Used bike?
Thanks for the quick response. It is a brand new 2022. Picked it up with 2 miles on her. Is it normal to have the wire exposed like that under the fender?

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
That is an added accessory that the dealer must have installed. The rubber plug should be pushed over the connector and it will be mostly free of dirt and moisture, but not completely.
I have mine routed out the left side, below the seat and above the side plastic. That is a common place for it.
Did the dealer charge you for anything extra?

·
Super Moderator
20,142 Posts
Thanks for the quick response. It is a brand new 2022. Picked it up with 2 miles on her. Is it normal to have the wire exposed like that under the fender?
I would re-route it so it comes out on the side somewhere away from where water off the tire can get into it.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Mine came with the plug under the left side cover .. , ( Throttle side )

Just put it where ever it works best for you .
mike from NC

Reactions: Ken and littletommy

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi, new TW200 owner, just picked her up last Saturday from the dealership. Was looking over the bike and noticed this under the rear fender. Need help to identify what it is. Looked in the owners manuel and did not see any explanations. Thanks...
View attachment 220130
You need to have a GOOD, COMPUTERIZED battery charger/maintainer connected at ALL times unless you are riding almost EVERYDAY. I have tried a few different ones and I like this one the best because it shows the voltage of the battery and keeps the battery balanced - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083R2T8MW?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

·
Registered
92 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That is an added accessory that the dealer must have installed. The rubber plug should be pushed over the connector and it will be mostly free of dirt and moisture, but not completely.
I have mine routed out the left side, below the seat and above the side plastic. That is a common place for it.
Did the dealer charge you for anything extra?
Thanks brother..no extra charge from the dealer.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Well,
Based on what's reported on here, it appears that there are some dealers that are taking it upon themselves to install an SAE plug for general purposes, battery tenders to more specific. I wonder why? Not why in terms of the need for it but, why in terms of why only certain dealers are doing it and, what's driving them to do it? Just being nice?
Scott

Reactions: Kevinwa and Ken

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
You need to have a GOOD, COMPUTERIZED battery charger/maintainer connected at ALL times unless you are riding almost EVERYDAY. I have tried a few different ones and I like this one the best because it shows the voltage of the battery and keeps the battery balanced - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083R2T8MW?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details
Yeah, um, I'm going to have to disagree with you there. I've observed just as many, or more, small motorcycle batteries die prematurely that lived on a charger than not. That's not to say you can avoid battery maintenance all together. Monitor the voltage and fluid levels and act when necessary. It also seems like when charging batteries, they do best when charged with no more amperage than 10% of the capacity. Charge these small 7 Amp-Hour (Ah) batteries at 500-700 milliamps (mA) and your 100 Ah car battery at up to 10 amps. This linked 2 amp charger is too much IMHO. Best-

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Well,
Based on what's reported on here, it appears that there are some dealers that are taking it upon themselves to install an SAE plug for general purposes, battery tenders to more specific. I wonder why? Not why in terms of the need for it but, why in terms of why only certain dealers are doing it and, what's driving them to do it? Just being nice?
Scott
Dealers probably can get the pigtails pretty cheap in bulk and at cost, and it is probably the easiest way for them to charge batteries. That makes the most sense to me.

·
Administrator
6,314 Posts
When I went to view my ’98 at the dealer, it had a tender lead attached, pointed out to me by the grinning idiot they called a "mechanic" as well – when the bike was delivered, it was mysteriously missing. Figured they were trying to impress me with how easily the bike started up – and on the new American models, given that they only have electric start, it begins to make sense

Two bucks to make a sale ?

Personally, I wouldn’t keep them on a tender permanently, or ever over-night for that matter. Depends on how seriously you want to take “house warming”

Swap the battery out for Lithium, and you leave all that behind you – but there will always be those, who upon picking the bike up after a fall, like watching their jeans disintegrate in the wash. Then, with the battery juices now no longer in there, you can apply the battery tender 24hrs a day, until your insurance company pays out for the house fire

Why do Yamaha put lead acid batteries in there? - to save costs of course. Why do you not replace it with a Lithium battery ? – to save costs of course

You just spent 5000 plus bucks on a bike, and now you want to save yourself 2% ?

None of this is “personal” in any way, your buck, your bike – just presenting another side to the argument …..

:cool:

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
When I went to view my ’98 at the dealer, it had a tender lead attached, pointed out to me by the grinning idiot they called a "mechanic" as well – when the bike was delivered, it was mysteriously missing. Figured they were trying to impress me with how easily the bike started up – and on the new American models, given that they only have electric start, it begins to make sense

Two bucks to make a sale ?

Personally, I wouldn’t keep them on a tender permanently, or ever over-night for that matter. Depends on how seriously you want to take “house warming”

Swap the battery out for Lithium, and you leave all that behind you – but there will always be those, who upon picking the bike up after a fall, like watching their jeans disintegrate in the wash. Then, with the battery juices now no longer in there, you can apply the battery tender 24hrs a day, until your insurance company pays out for the house fire

Why do Yamaha put lead acid batteries in there? - to save costs of course. Why do you not replace it with a Lithium battery ? – to save costs of course

You just spent 5000 plus bucks on a bike, and now you want to save yourself 2% ?

None of this is “personal” in any way, your buck, your bike – just presenting another side to the argument …..

:cool:
I forgot about the disintegrating jeans or magic holes that appear in them when washed. We used to sit on the edge of the electric pallet jack battery covers until we learned of the hole phenomenon. I have been using the cheaper AGM battery and for me at $40.00 bucks or so is a good deal. I am still on my first AGM battery, going on about 4 years or maybe more now.

·
Registered
22,193 Posts
lvflyer's insistence on need for frequent battery charging sounds odd as if there he has a anomalous current draw or a damaged battery. This is not typical for TW owners.
USB port's transformers have a minor current draw but not enough to draw down even a cheap battery overnight.

The SAE plug styles depicted by original poster are available with different gauge wiring up to 10 gauge for some serious current draw. I route mine up to instrument cluster for dry accessibility and easy phone/camera re-charging. I use mine to pull power out rather than feed power into the bike since LiPo4 batteries hold charge for months and years w/o need for re-charging. Other than pre-charging new batteries before installation my charger gather dust. My 2 bikes have seen the charger perhaps a total of 3 times in 27 combined years of TW ownership.
Typical use is to run an air compressor but can jump-start other bikes and have used it once to trickle charge dead battery in my van.
I believe the term "battery tender" is a registered trademark of the Deltron Company, and they slap the name Battery Tender on a wide range of over 70 of their products including several battery charging devices. 2-pole SAE plug is a more unique identifier for what is shown in post #1.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
After paying for a lithium battery 7, yes SEVEN years ago and still going strong, I will neve buy another battery for a motorcycle again that isn't lithium. They are light, they don't spill and they never need any more of a charge than what the TW200 outputs from it's own regulator. The voltage is higher than a lead-acid battery, it has a higher current output than lead-acid as well, making e-starts extremely easy.
I do have that pigtail on my bike, but so far I've never used it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts