TW200 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been using the Centech 1.5 amp on board battery charger maintainer from harbor Freight. I have a pigtail on each of my bikes and I wired up a pigtail onto the charger. They were just on sale with a coupon for about $12.00 each. I bought 2 at that price. My first one is still good at about 20.years old. The name brand on board charger that was similar overcharged batteries and I had to throw it away. I like that these are sealed and work well. I just move it as a regular charger, car, bikes, marine battery etc.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Battery Tender Chargers ONLY.
Have had all different brands. Have dozens of batteries of all types here.
Most brands cook the crap out of the batteries (NOCO, HF, etc.)
I have done repeated tests, as there is always a large group of bikes here.
At the remote storage garages, there are ONLY Battery Tender chargers.
Never any issues.

I am not affiiated with Battery Tender in any way.
But I have bought well over a hundred batteries in recent years and they all need to be maintained.
Battery Tender chargers have given me NO grief.

Currently (ha ha) testing out the charger setup that AntiGravity sells. Got it because I have a fair amount of 6V bikes and would like some ambidexterity with charging.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Six (6) Battery Tender "Plus's" running in the garage right now. Have for over 20 years.
5 bikes. The generator + snowblower share one back-and-forth.

Everything starts like a warm Summer day.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
+1 on the Battery Tender Jr. for my bike batteries. All of my observation seems to support the hypothesis that the little batteries don't like the higher charge amp rates, with no more than 10% of the batteries Amp Hour rating being ideal. 10% of an 8 AH battery such as the TW = 800 milliamps. Battery Tender Jr. outputs 750 milliamps.

·
Registered
463 Posts
For the last 17 years I have been using Ctek battery chargers, and the current model I have is the MUS 4.3 and I have always been pleased with their performance.

·
Registered
7,046 Posts
I have been using the Centech 1.5 amp on board battery charger maintainer from harbor Freight.
First, I am a fan of HF. Having stated that I bought 3 of these battery "maintainer" and installed all three the same day, on 2 TW's and a Buell. A short time later, I am guessing about 6 months max, all 3 batteries died together. Coincident? Bad luck? Or the battery maintainers messed up. I don't know but I uninstalled them and tossed them out.

To be fair, I have a friend that must have 5 or 10 of these things and swears they are great. I haven't asked how they are doing in a long time but think he would bring it up if he had several batteries going dead at the same time -- or maybe he wouldn't not wanting to admit I was right. You never know.

·
Registered
19,419 Posts
Just pay attention to the battery type and rating and choose a charger accordingly. Don't just evoke the name "BatteryTender" since the Deltron Corp. slaps the Battery Tender name on over 70 different products they market including over 26 different battery charging devices. Deltron has a nice interactive chat feature on their website to lead you through a product selection based on the type and rating of the battery you wish to not destroy by overcharging, or charging at too high a voltage.
My wet cell charger sits dusty on the shelf since I have gone to LiPO4 batteries on my TWs. Simply riding them a few times a year maintains the charge levels.

·
Registered
41 Posts
+1 on the CTEK chargers. I use the Ctek 0.8 battery charger.

Does more than just provide the 1.5 Amp Float Charge other less expensive chargers do..... Works great for all my motorcycles.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I use the Battery Tender Jr's, the Harbor Freight "12 Volt Deluxe Battery Maintainer And Float Charger" and the Harbor Freight "Automatic Battery Float Charger". For the float chargers, I cut the alligator clips off and put the same quick disconnect plug as comes with the others.
...Color me ignorant, but they all seem to charge my batteries well.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
I use the key and throttle that came with my bike to maintain the battery. I got four seasons out of my first factory wet cell and am currently on my second. No telling how long the first would have lasted if I didn't let it run dry??? Also my TW lives in an unheated garage that probably isn't much better than storing it under a good tarp. Grand total of $19 in batteries and battery accessories in 5 seasons.

Tom

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have 4 machines all on tenders. One is a Battery Tender Jr. and the other three are Schumacher tenders. All been in use for at least 5 years now and never had any problems with either brand. The Schumacher brand are usually cheaper. I catch them on sale at Lowe's for about $20.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Just got a 10 bank Battery Tender Battery Management System (charger).

This one does exactly what I need. Choose between 6V or 12V. Choose between Wet/AGM or Lithium. Set it and forget it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts