·
Super Moderator
17,989 Posts
Old Fiat Spyder?

·
Registered
762 Posts
May be a Fiat Spyder.

Nissan also made a British-Sportscar-like model in the early 1970s...IIRC, Toyota took a stab at it as well. The Japanese manufacturers coordinate models in a way that would be illegal in the States; and that's partly why they wind up owning pieces of one another. And the whole Japanese auto industry has its roots in British-cars-made-under-license. Nissan got back in civilian automobile manufacturing with the Austin engine - they purchased license to the design. There was some input with chassis design, also. Toyota borrowed in more general terms.

But it was always to Britain that they looked for direction and inspiration...right up until the 1980s, when they started copying American ideas and then went ahead on their own. Always, one or more makers have had a traditional British-style "sports" car or an evolution thereof...the Miata is the current interpretation.

·
Registered
20,211 Posts
Car in question does bear a passing resemblance to Fiat Sport Spyders from late seventies but none of them sported a v-8 under the hood.;) The 124 Fiat's hoods for most years did hinge at the front also. However this 1980 Abarth clone lacks the upward bulge on the rear fenders. Unidentified car seems a little long for any FixItAgainTony models I recall. My guess is vehicle remains unidentified. 1980_Fiat_124_Spider_Abarth_Clone_For_Sale_Front_resize.jpg
I remember the 124 as being fairly easy to work on but fragile by modern standards. Not too many surviving examples these days...been a long time since I saw one rolling down the road. fiatspider2000-l-fd22422d6f310110.jpg 20-1977-fiat-124-sport-spider-in-california-wrecking-yard-photo-by-murilee-martin.jpg 13-1980-Fiat-Spider-Down-On-the-Junkyard-Pictures-courtesy-of-Murilee-Marting.jpg

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Arghhhh.....this has been driving me crazy....I have spent hours trying to identify this car; I have issues.....

You see, my first inclination was some kind of Fiat because I have owned both '68 and '69 124 Spiders way back. This car certainly has similarities but it's not a 124 Spider. The door and headlights really resemble Fiat. The back end is totally different. I can't make out the badge in the grill. Then, there are the unusual looking gauge things that look like pots inside on the dashboard. I have searched Fiat along with every other European car manufacturer along with Pininfarina, Bertone, etc. to still come up with nothing that is a match.

Fun to do the research but I have never had this much trouble trying to identify a car. :confused:

·
Registered
20,211 Posts
It would have helped if Dette had gotten a close-up of any hood ornament.:) Maserati-Mistral-4.0-spyder.jpg

Hope I haven't offended you Oh Noble Lady of Whidbey Island. If I could have found a beef-cake picture of Gerry sitting on a exotic hood I would have posted it instead so as to be an equal opportunity sexist.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I wasn't the picture taker, if I had been I would have talked to the guy sitting in the chair. A friend went on a ride in Canada that included a car show and she posted that photo....since I have passion for old roadsters/spyders/spiders ..... when I saw the photo I immediately thought Fiat...but I thought it was a Fiat I wasn't familiar with. The rear actually resembles a Jag to me....so the search began. If you are wondering, yes, I asked the gal that took the photo...her reply was basically, "yellow", she doesn't have a clue and doesn't care. I care too much....I came across a really cool website earlier that I will share if I find it again.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It would have helped if Dette had gotten a close-up of any hood ornament.:) View attachment 35305

Hope I haven't offended you Oh Noble Lady of Whidbey Island. If I could have found a beef-cake picture of Gerry sitting on a exotic hood I would have posted it instead so as to be an equal opportunity sexist.:rolleyes:
I can overlook that gal on the hood of a Maserati....in my opinion that car needs nothing to ornament it. I love Maserati's but the only one's I have ever had the opportunity to drive were a couple of Citroen SM's .... not my favorite in the Maserati family but a very unique car. All I really remember was there was a big rubber button for the brake pedal.

Citroen SM.jpg

·
Super Moderator
5,159 Posts
It's a frog eye sprite - the clue's in the front end - the rear they played around with quite a bit over the years ......

1 - 20 of 32 Posts