TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just curious as to what types of helmets TW riders use.

I just assumed that a full-face helmet was the thing. But I wonder what others choose?

Here's a pic of mine:

As you can see, a GMax. I like it because it's not too heavy, the chin piece flips up to allow easy on-off (I wear glasses) and the venting seems to work pretty well. It was also reasonably priced at $179 list. The dealer threw this in with my purchase, so I don't know what it'd actually sell for if I pushed...

It also has a red led light on the back which is a safety feature for night riding I guess - three settings - on, flashing slow, flashing fast.

So what's your pick?

·
Registered
239 Posts
I use an Aria shorty helmet when out for a cruise on mostly paved and gravel roads. It has zip off sides for when it is hot. I use an old trusty Bell Moto 4 MX helmet when out on single tracks or when it is cold out.

Happy Trails All

Ron in Boise

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is a shorty a "bowl" type with leather ear flaps? I'm pretty sure what the Moto looks like. :)

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
I am in the market for a new one now. My old HJC Full face worked great in the RZR but when I get up to around 50 MPH on the TW it sounds like I am in a wind turbine. I am sure newer helmets of higher quality should be much quieter inside when running at speed. I want to add a communication radio for when me and Bucknutz go together beating the trails but my old helmet would be useless with all the noise.

How is your Gmax for noise? I like the idea of the flip up face because I too wear glasses, just need them so I can see but they are tuff to take on and off from flipping up just the shield.

GaryL

·
Registered
44 Posts

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
What about the wind noise with either of those Gmax. I like the idea of the chin piece flipping independent of the shields which would also flip. Wish I knew OSOKs model number? And again, WHAT about the noise. I have tinnitus real bad and the wind noise drives me nuts if the helmet is not aerodynamically designed to take wind noise into account, streamlined to be quiet.

GaryL

·
Registered
44 Posts
To me the wind noise isn't bad, but I don't think I am too picky. It is better with the visor removed obviously especially at high speeds. When I got mine I looked at ones with the flip up chins as well as ones with the built in flip down sunglasses. When it all came down to it I liked the rigid simple design the best. Less to break/move/go wrong. The built in sunglasses are OK but to me it could never be as good as my Oakley flak jackets hugging my face.

I thought for under $100 and with good reviews it was worth a shot and I haven't been disappointed but again its one of those things that is so much personal preference.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I ride with a kbc tk-77. Hooked up a bluetooth setup. Riding the hills and listening to pantera.
F r e a k i n g a w e s o m e.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
I have a wall of helmets but I have two main street and two main dirt helmets. For street I use an HJC CL-16 shock or the Shoei X-12. For dirt I use my Fox V2 or my Bell moto9 stunt helmet. My fiancee has the same HJC I have in another color along with an Oneal offroad helmet. Then there are two dirt helmets and two street helmets for guests, HJC and KBC. I have thrown away a couple others that took some hard hits. Don't get me started on all the gear I have... :icon_thumleft:

·
Registered
77 Posts
I use the Gmax modular also. For all the vents it has it is very quiet. When they are all open its a little loud but for all the air I get on a hot day it doesn't bother me. Still more quiet than my last helmet. Got mine for $116 and its well worth it at that price.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Fly Trekker Helmet - Canada's Motorcycle

Seriously thinking about the hi-viz yellow :p
I use the Fly-Trekker Hi-vis yellow. I get a lot of comments from coworkers that they can see me coming from a mile away - hopefully it has the same effect on random drivers.
Pros: Really comfortable, great ventilation.
Cons: Noisy at 45mph+, and I use earplugs all the time. Also has fogging issues at lower temps. The brim catches wind at travelling speeds/ side gusts, but I have no windscreen on my TW (yet!).

The modular helmets pique my interest too, just for the convenience factor and possibly a quieter ride.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I wear the MSR XPEDITION helmet. 99% identical to the fly trekker. I have only had it a week but it is a great helmet, suuuuper comfy. Also as stated above, it is noisy and fogs up slightly but never when moving, excellent ventilation. I took the breath guard out of my HJC helmet and put it in this one and it doesnt fog anymore. I use it at speeds 70+ and doesnt seem to catch too much wind. Shields are swappable with the trekkers. I put a dark smoke one on and just flip it up and wear safety glasses at night. And it looks pretty bad a$$ too!

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Fly racing F2 Carbon. Very light, superb ventilation. I prefer the MX style with goggles because I go so slow on trails and like to take the goggles off. I only go a few miles on slab at 60, so noise is not an issue. I very nearly broke my jaw a couple years ago in a very low speed highside, tripping on a log as I got off and kissing a large boulder, so I will never go without a full face again.

I got one of those replacement straps that has a clip on one side and Velcro on the other so I can quickly don or remove the goggles while riding. Roko Sports Quick Strap - Dirt Bike Motocross - Motorcycle Superstore

·
Registered
185 Posts
I wear one of these most of the time... the integrated sun shield is nice, but I find I usually need to carry sunglasses for when I get off the bike. Didn't buy it at this site though.
GMAX - GM17S Solid Open-Face Motorcycle Helmet - Open-Face - Motorcycle Helmets - Biker - CycleGear - Cycle Gear

I have to say it's the most comfortable helmet I ever had, and I've had lots, and I think I paid around $50. If I were going on a road trip I would probably wear one of the full face helmets, if I could stand it. I actually have one of these with the tint shiled on and one with it off for night riding. The only downside to the tinted shield is that if you ride very fast it seems to flip back down.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I have the Bilt modular helmet with the built-in sun visor. I really like the Fly Trekker.

I'm not sure how I feel about not having real full-face, but this helmet /really/ has my interest piqued:
Shark Raw Helmet - RevZilla

The style/looks/color would definitely fit my OD TDub!

Reactions: LifesAh0liday

·
Registered
44 Posts
ooooo....that thing is saweeettt.

Edit: plus I am pretty sure if I put this on and woke my fiancee up in the middle of the night she would cry and pee the bed....that thing looks mean!

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
I'm gonna one-up you banana, the bell version is similar but looks much cooler. Saw this in their catalog about two months ago and have wanted it ever since... Bell Rogue Helmet - RevZilla

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I'm gonna one-up you banana, the bell version is similar but looks much cooler. Saw this in their catalog about two months ago and have wanted it ever since... Bell Rogue Helmet - RevZilla
Hah, yes, I've seen that one as well and it's diggable, and I couldn't tell you specifically why, but I deffo prefer the Raw. I think it comes down to coverage, the amount of green, and the psycho/swat/tactical/paintball awesomeness! :). If you get the Rogue, you should get a Darth Vader set of leathers!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts