TW200 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today's project was to get the small garden tilled. The Troy built tiller has been giving me issues. Can you identify the mods? What are they off of?

Attachments

·
Registered
165 Posts
Ken-is this a test? I'm impressed with the ingenuity here-especially if it works! I wouldn't think it would generate enough "oomph" to turn anything but the loosest soil. Looks like a Home Depot Ryobi string trimmer head on your Troy Bilt tiller chassis. This one is a 2010 era model. These head units were often cannibalized for other uses like large off-road RC buggies and planes (according to the internet). I especially like the "drive by stick" throttle control.

·
Registered
19,551 Posts
Why yes, simply use a snow blower transmission:D Maybe add some tractor weights to the front end for more down-pressure on some super sharpened tines with a wider hold-back spade at the rear to really churn deep for those carrot roots. Those line trimmer motors really come alive with a tuned pipe too, very popular with the RC boating world.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=USXjm1PaZ4I

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
UncleRandy got it all in one swoop, down to the stick throttle. It worked great in my wife's garden bed. I am going to till my Mom's flower bed tomorrow. The year of the Ryobi, I'm not sure but it was prethanol. That's what had sent it out of service, all the hoses broke off. At that time they wanted $30.00 for the primer bulb which also cracked from the ethanol. I have now found several fuel line kits with primer bulbs, fuel line, pull through tool for about $10.00, I can justify that price. I have one more Ryobi much newer than that one which ethanol disserviced. I think there is hope to resurrect it too. I now need to find more fuel line kits. I am going to rebuild the Troy engine but now I can take my time. Then maybe build a boat for the engine.

·
Registered
19,551 Posts
My,local small engine repair business stocks various sizes of primer bulbs as well as fuel line for just a couple of dollars. Maybe visit a local equivalent, a dusty lawn mower repair shop?

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the tip. The next project is to get the 2 Chrysler 105 hp engines up and running. I have to bypass the CDI and convert it over to a car coil and resistor. The boxes are $800.00 a piece and it is about $100.00 to run on a car coil conversion. That will save $1400.00 to get them running again. Then I may try selling them. I have one on my boat that runs great with the car coil conversion. I may save one as a spare.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts