TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of getting another Tdub for the lady. She's 5'1 and can't reach the ground with either foot while the bike is upright. Constantly fighting the leaning bike on one leg. I would want to lower the bike about 2", but I can't find very much good information on 2017+ bikes. Do the old V-Star shocks still fit the newer bikes?

·
Registered
21,491 Posts
Same lowering solutions(s) work for all TW model years.
Forum member RhodeTrip's wife is also economy sized and he has lowered all of her TWs. Try a search feature here, perhaps others recall the explanatory posts, or PM RhodeTrip for info on technique &/or links for same.
I believe lower shock pivot mount can be drilled lower. Forks can be lowered in triple clamps. Seat foam can be shaved.
Another shorter lady rider here elected to simply wear boots with tall heels.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Same lowering solutions(s) work for all TW model years.
Forum member RhodeTrip's wife is also economy sized and he has lowered all of her TWs. Try a search feature here, perhaps others recall the explanatory posts, or PM RhodeTrip for info on technique &/or links for same.
I believe lower shock pivot mount can be drilled lower. Forks can be lowered in triple clamps. Seat foam can be shaved.
Another shorter lady rider here elected to simply wear boots with tall heels.
"economy sized" 😂 😂 😂 I don't think that means what you think it means. But good to know, I may look for an old V-Star shock then, and slide the triples down. I don't really want to do any swingarm drilling on a brand new bike.. Was hoping for some more modern bolt-on solutions.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Perhaps @Purple will chime in here with a search. He is a master (well as others) at digging up older threads pertinent to your questions.

Marty

·
Super Moderator
6,032 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
I installed the v-star shock, but I kept bottoming out so I had to switch it back. If you are in the Washington or Oregon area I’d give you the shock.

Reactions: Mrs. Admiral

·
Registered
651 Posts
Buy her a VanVan for her birthday. It is an inch lower but feels more so. She will appreciate the comfy seat.

It is not quite the same off road but, unless you are some kinda Malcom Smith, she will keep up just fine.

Next time you are in sunny southern Oregon, stop on and ride mine.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Buy her a VanVan for her birthday. It is an inch lower but feels more so. She will appreciate the comfy seat.

It is not quite the same off road but, unless you are some kinda Malcom Smith, she will keep up just fine.

Next time you are in sunny southern Oregon, stop on and ride mine.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
We will be doing 95% trail rides.. How does the VanVan perform as a dirtbike?

·
Registered
15 Posts
You would be better off getting a TTR-125 if you are just doing trail, she will enjoy it a hell of a lot more , and those things are a dime a dozen

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You would be better off getting a TTR-125 if you are just doing trail, she will enjoy it a hell of a lot more , and those things are a dime a dozen
except for the fact that the seat height is even taller than a TW and I'm trying to lower this bike even further..

·
Registered
145 Posts
I was going to suggest a CRF110 for trail only. They are very beginner friendly.

My TW came lowered with a massive hole in the swing arm. I am not a fan of going that route based on what my swing arm looks like. I moved the spring back to where it was meant to be but will be swapping to a non drilled one once I get to it.

·
Super Moderator
14,512 Posts
except for the fact that the seat height is even taller than a TW and I'm trying to lower this bike even further..
What was mentioned above are some good options. We had a TTR 125 and it had a much lower seat height than a TW. It was much lighter as well. We also have put on a V-Star shock as Eralov mentioned. It lowered the TW quite a bit as well. It may not bottom out if the person riding doesn't weigh much. Lowering the front tubes in the triple's might lower it a bit more.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What was mentioned above are some good options. We had a TTR 125 and it had a much lower seat height than a TW. It was much lighter as well. We also have put on a V-Star shock as Eralov mentioned. It lowered the TW quite a bit as well. It may not bottom out if the person riding doesn't weigh much. Lowering the front tubes in the triple's might lower it a bit more.
I am apparently missing some key detail, because the Yamaha website says the TW is 31.1" high, and the TTR125 is 31.7" high.

Anyway, I am now looking more into a Versys 650 shock, as I can get one that's only a few years old as opposed to the older Vstar shocks. They look a little beefier and have a closer mounting bracket system.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yamaha makes a bunch of different models of TTR 125 ,The standard TTR125 comes with a 17″ front wheel and a 14″ rear wheel with a seat height of 30.5″. The TTR125L/125LE have a 19″ front wheel and 16″ rear wheel and have a seat height of 31.7 . Also the huge weight difference is where is counts , holding it up with only one leg is a breeze , and if you start tipping over its a lot easier to catch.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Like Fred said up above, Mrs Trip and I have 3 sets of TWs, all set up the same. What we settled on for her bikes is cutting the seat foam, and I made it narrower as well at the front. The V-star shock proved too soft, so instead hers have a custom made YSS shock the same length as the V-star but set up for her weight and riding style. It cost $340 which seems good for all the special attention.
It also has a set of Hyperpro fork springs: progressive springs again taking size and weight into consideration. $150 for those. The forks are slid up in the clamps, although she also has a short set of bar risers on there to make the handlebars clear the Clarke tank. One thing leads to another... you also will need to cut down the kickstand when you lower it.
Her bike also has a Richochet skid plate which comes in handy, especially on the lowered bike. D-Flex hand guards, Oxford heated grips. Jimbo shield. SuperStock pegs. Superbrightleds aux lights. Cycleracks rear, with Tinman side racks.
She also wears Daytona Ladystar boots, which add another inch or so.
This is a photo of my bike with heavier springs and a taller seat, and her low rider.

·
Registered
57 Posts
In the v-star shock defense, it was used from eBay, I weigh 160 w/o riding gear, I have a happy trail rack with a 1g roto pax and a 10 lb bag on that. The highway to the trail was rubbing the rear tire. On the back of the air box housing. An extra link in the chain and moved back a bit probably would have solved this.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Like Fred said up above, Mrs Trip and I have 3 sets of TWs, all set up the same. What we settled on for her bikes is cutting the seat foam, and I made it narrower as well at the front. The V-star shock proved too soft, so instead hers have a custom made YSS shock the same length as the V-star but set up for her weight and riding style. It cost $340 which seems good for all the special attention.
It also has a set of Hyperpro fork springs: progressive springs again taking size and weight into consideration. $150 for those. The forks are slid up in the clamps, although she also has a short set of bar risers on there to make the handlebars clear the Clarke tank. One thing leads to another... you also will need to cut down the kickstand when you lower it.
Her bike also has a Richochet skid plate which comes in handy, especially on the lowered bike. D-Flex hand guards, Oxford heated grips. Jimbo shield. SuperStock pegs. Superbrightleds aux lights. Cycleracks rear, with Tinman side racks.
She also wears Daytona Ladystar boots, which add another inch or so.
This is a photo of my bike with heavier springs and a taller seat, and her low rider.

That's a good looking low seat .

Reactions: Rhodetrip

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
In the v-star shock defense, it was used from eBay, I weigh 160 w/o riding gear, I have a happy trail rack with a 1g roto pax and a 10 lb bag on that. The highway to the trail was rubbing the rear tire. On the back of the air box housing. An extra link in the chain and moved back a bit probably would have solved this.
OH yeah, nothing against the V-star, we used those for quite a while, but even though she only weighs about 110 lbs, the bike would bottom out on the bumps. At least 1 I bought on Ebay was blown already, although its hard to tell not mounted up.
We've been known to load those bikes up as well.
Baja:

Anyway, she's 5 feet tall and with the mods she can comfortably flat-foot the bike.
Crater Lake, Oregon

Mogollon Rim, AZ

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
She had a TTR125"L" before switching to the TW. It was street legal and plated in RI. It was a little too tall, but its worst feature was it was kick start only, and too tall for her to do it. She hated it because she couldn't start it herself. I should have switched the wheels and engine with a smaller electric start model, but it worked out OK with the TW after all. Wish I hadn't sold it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts