TW200 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Throwing around some ideas just for fun for a possible brat style build. Was wondering if anyone has had any experience fitting a vintage style tank and what troubleshooting issues may arise when trying to make this work.

Ive seen some pics where some folks end up welding new tabs for a different tank or add a brace here or there and so on to make it work. Just a little confused as to what tanks are a good fit.

Ive looked at the tanks on webike.japan and I like the shape of several of them but I believe they are too small. I want a tank to cover the frame and neck well rather than it look like it's just sitting on top of the frame.

Thinking along the lines of narrow, kind of squared off, gradual sloping down to the rear and fitting a brat style seat that butts directly up to the back of the tank.

Would love to hear you all's ideas and/or suggestions.

·
Registered
794 Posts
what exactly is a brat seat? The tanks you see on some japanese TW's that looks old is a 70's era Yamaha XT. Remind you your gonna have to pay alot to get it cleaned up. Rust and paint job. It would be cheaper to get a brand new tank from Low Brow Customs and have it welded up to fit.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, was making dinner and chasing the kids around the house while trying to make the thread, chaotic!

I meant a flat style seat, board seat or whatever you call them. And that's just the type of answer I was looking for. Been driving myself insane looking at old ragged tanks like the DT's, I will definitely check out Low Brow. Have you, or anyone you know used them for a custom tank before?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Checked out a few tanks at Low Brow and see maybe 1 I kind of dig, do they actually make tanks custom to the bike you're working with or is it only their pre-made tanks and you make them work with what you have? A little confused when looking at their site.

Any other good suggestions similar to Low Brow that sells new tanks various shapes and sizes or will even custom make you one too you're specifications or one that fits specific bikes?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Teds v twin is where the American chopper boys used to buy tanks from before they built their own from scratch ,kind of a cosco for bike stuff .They might have a tank to suit you .

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Any tank will fit given enough work, but the obvious candidates used so far are: 1. XT350; 2. XT500; 3. XT250. I seem to recall a Harley tank and some other exotics in Japan, but you will have search the threads for those. I hope this helps. Tom

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
xt225 isn't vintage style, but it's almost a direct fit.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I just fitted a XR650L 2.8 gallon stock tank on my TW.
Limited budget and I have two bikes.
The 5.8 gallon for my XR was $209 total shipped, so I opted to go with it.
That leaves me a spare tank.
I have Kolpin 1.5 gal spares. but just don't like tying up the rack with them.
( they fit in my Samurai really well) lol

Here's a finished pic, only downside was I had to raise the rear mounting position more than I had hoped.
The petcock was hitting the engine a bit, so I lifted it which made my seat not quite fit.
But, I made it work and I think it looks okay.

VDR 20141014_200956.jpg

·
Registered
334 Posts
If you're going brat style, you may wanna consider an old XS400 tank if you can track one down (EDIT: I REALLY WANT ONE!), I even dig the original paint/graphics!
tumblr_n5hca89PSS1s2wiv4o1_1280.jpg

It seems they're also playing around with other older Yamaha tanks too over at Noisy TWBastards
tumblr_n5hca89PSS1s2wiv4o2_1280.jpg
I would *PRESUME* that older Yamaha tanks would at least be similar to our bikes mounting system but will probably still require some work.
Hope this helps, and please keep us posted if you go ahead with your build!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, that's just it RisingSun, as I'm slowly finding out.

The XS style tanks are the shape and style I prefer but I wouldn't want to put in the time/money/work to revive a piece of junk. I guess you could find someone to custom build you one similar but I think it would be too expensive.

On second thought, the stock tank doesn't look that bad, I would probably just make a seat to fit to the existing tank. The way the seat overlaps the tank just bothers me, lol, I dunno why, I'm a bit nitpicky perhaps.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Well if the seat bothers you make one. You got the stock seat pan. Get a saw and cut it up. That is how those brat bike seats started. If you want to spent money and get pre made cheap as possible. Here ya go. Use a middle man company to bid and ship for you from Japan. There are many. Bid JDM is one. Home page - bidJDM Yahoo Japan has its own auction site like ebay. I wish yahoo had one here. So even though you are gonna use Bid JDM it has a brain like a Japanese person . So I will make it easy for you. Japan has the TW as a 200cc and a 225cc. Here is the translation in Japanese for seat = シート . Copy and paste . So you want the seat do a search in both TW200 シート and TW225 シート. The the cheapest one which will be beat up and get it reupholstered. They can be little as $10 without shipping. You can't beat that. Good luck.

·
Registered
52 Posts
If you're going brat style, you may wanna consider an old XS400 tank if you can track one down (EDIT: I REALLY WANT ONE!), I even dig the original paint/graphics!
View attachment 10655

It seems they're also playing around with other older Yamaha tanks too over at Noisy TWBastards
View attachment 10656
I would *PRESUME* that older Yamaha tanks would at least be similar to our bikes mounting system but will probably still require some work.
Hope this helps, and please keep us posted if you go ahead with your build!
That XS400 tank looks AWESOME on the TW!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts