TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What is it?

New exhaust system?

New cam, bigger carb, 225cc upper end or a 230cc crank or both?

Fact is, it's none of these.

For me the single biggest and most cost effective improvement one can make to their motorcycle is a oil cooler! (Unless it already has one)
Oil coolers make your bikes engine run cooler.
Cooler = less wear on engine components = more miles and efficiency.

That being said, don't think a new oil cooler will make your TW go 80 miles per hour.
Gearing is the solution there, it will however help to keep your oil from breaking down when pushing higher speeds and on harder rides.
100% of engine wear is oil related!

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
On pavement, off road or both? Off road I say front tire.

But seeing as I drive technical terrain off road an oil cooler would be useful in the summer. I'm not sure how that works below freezing though...

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
My 88 TW has more throttle response then my 06. If I ever need a new carburetor on my 06 I’m installing an old style carb on it. It’s that big of a difference.
Same with my '96 and '13, hard to believe it's the same motor. My '96 seems to vibrate less also, same mirrors, hand guards, and handlebars, but the rear view is much clearer. The '13 does go a couple of mph faster and does get better gas mileage. Important for me on long rides in the middle of nowhere.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I say just stop adding farkles. My 99 has XT tank full of gas, cycle rack, pelican box, tools etc and I just keep adding stuff. The other day I was moving stuff in my garage and after moving my 99 I moved my stock 15 which I have not put on the road yet and was shocked how light it was.

·
Super Moderator
4,046 Posts
Raising the bar, look what he can do on the ice!

Don't take my word for it but check out what this guy can do in chocolate pudding mud :

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
15 tooth front sprocket even 16 tooth (from PBI) if it's pure streeter

front tire more a safety upgrade but I guess could be considered performance

Front spring upgrade from Pro Cycle is number 2 performance upgrade

if we're just talking motor performance buy a KTM because there's not much you can do to make theTW motor perform any better lol

·
Registered
8,298 Posts
Not much can be done for overall performance but in regards to time spent on maintaining and adjusting the single most beneficial upgrade I have found is going to a good quality O or X ring chain. Less time constantly adjusting it, less time constantly lubricating and cleaning it and your sprockets will last twice as long. If I bought a brand new TW the chain would be replaced on day 1 with a DID VX. Then I would take out that 2X6 they call foam under the seat and go with a seat concept upgrade. Although I have been called an ass I don't have much of one and that seat just plain hurts.

GaryL

·
Registered
8,298 Posts
What is it?

New exhaust system?

New cam, bigger carb, 225cc upper end or a 230cc crank or both?

Fact is, it's none of these.

The single biggest and most cost effective improvement one can make to their motorcycle is a oil cooler! (Unless it already has one)
Oil coolers make your bikes engine run cooler.
Cooler = less wear on engine components = more miles and efficiency.

That being said, don't think a new oil cooler will make your TW go 80 miles per hour.
Gearing is the solution there, it will however help to keep your oil from breaking down when pushing higher speeds and on harder rides.
100% of engine wear is oil related!
Can we agree to disagree? You are 100% correct that keeping your oil cooler is a good thing and particularly in a small air cooled engine like our TWs have. The down side of this comes from where you live and what conditions you are riding in. Slow poking out west and down south in hot temps the cooler comes in handy while moving along up north in cooler temps with air flowing and it may not be as beneficial as one would think. Here in NY we get 90 degrees maybe just 10 days a year when a cooler would be a good thing. Out in AZ 90 is a cool day. The TW runs best when it gets up to it prescribed running temperature but it does need cooling when those temps get very hot and you are going very slow. Up here if I had an oil cooler I would want a valve to turn it on and off.

GaryL

·
Registered
548 Posts
For my bike is was my first mod.... My Jimbo shield! This one item changed my bike completely as it now looks cooler and it more aero dynamic like a rocket ship. This one accessory can make your bike cut through the air like a knife, deflect bugs, birds, branches, etc. It has improved my 0 to 60 speed by at least a whole 2% and the wow look by over 75%. When I am cruising on the highway and I lay down with my head tucked in behind the shield you can definitely feel the wind drag diminish which causes me to hold on tighter for that increased speed rush. Denice says its all in my head and the shield isn't that great but last time we were trail riding and I saw a branch coming.....I ducked in behind my trusty Jimbo shield and it did what it always does. I think it was about that time in our ride that Denice saw (experienced) the true benefit of my shield as that simple mod deflected that branch up and over my head saving me from scratches, cuts, bruising, and maybe even death it self. She had a front row seat to the power of that one simple and easy to install upgrade and how simple it is to use in this critical situation as I only have to lean forward to employ its magical powers. She however.....not having a Jimbo shield but now wishing she did, felt the burn of old growth fir as it first smacks then tears at your skin under your helmet where that tender neck is exposed. This kind of damage will heal with time, similar to the bruises on my ribs where she punched me for ducking quietly behind my shield.

So for my best upgrade for speed, acceleration, aero dynamics, and comfort on the trail it is hands down been my installation of the Jimbo shield!!!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts