TW200 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see complaints about stripping the JIS “Phillips” case screws on TWs. I find this funny.

80 zillion years ago when I was a kid and rode YZs we were always stripping case screws. We thought it was just because we were idiots or because Yamaha made cheap screws – at that time no one knew anything about JIS screws. Back then, we eventually learned the 3 accommodation tricks:

- Impact driver (after decades I still have the original cheapie I bought back then and it still works)

- Small cold chisel applied to the side of the screws for loosening

- Replace with Allen head bolts​

We flash forward to the present day and I read that people with Yamahas still have this problem. How funny that Yamaha is still supplying those damn JIS screws.

Anyway, now that I have a second chance to attack those b*stardly screws, I would like to do it right – just for fun.

I have seen what look like decent JIS screwdrivers online (example). The question is what size JIS will I need for the case screws (#2 or #3)? And what size and length would I need for those on the carb?

(I know I could just replace them with Allen screws but after all these years I want to conquer the Japanese and learn how to screw like a pro.)

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
If your wife is happy, you don't need to "screw like a pro". Though there's definitely always room for improvement

·
Registered
7,051 Posts
Those screwdrivers are pricey! Does Harbor Freight have anything that can help?

Next time I pull a side cover I am replacing those screws with flange bolts that have a regular six sided heads on them so I can use a socket.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Those screwdrivers are expensive! Maybe Harbor Freight can help.

Next time I pull a side cover I am replacing those screws with flange bolts that have a regular six sided heads on them so I can use a socket.

Make sure the socket can fit, it may interfere with the float bowl itself. That's the beauty of the allen style bolts, no concern for clearance.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I can give you the bolt size: it's an M4 x .7 x 14mm

Here is the link to the allen bolts I used: http://www.amazon.com/DrillSpot-M4-0-7x14-DIN912-Stainless-Socket/dp/B009A0ZGXW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1350409424&sr=8-2&keywords=m4+x+.7+x+14mm

You can also use 16mm bolts with a lock washer if you like.

I really wouldn't bother with the JIS screws, it's more trouble that it's worth. But if you're hard set on it, I'm 90% sure they're #2 JIS.

The other nice thing with allen bolts is you can take the bowl off without loosening the carb to change jets since you'll have a right-angle allen key.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Most of the screws on the TW are #2 and #3 JIS. The carburetor screws are number 1. Those screwdrivers in your link are not expensive at all and are extremely high quality tools.

I bought mine from McMaster Carr. Once you have the right JIS tools, your screw stripping days are over.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Just a normal length driver. That's, what, 8 inches or so ? I personally hate stubby handle screwdrivers.

My set shown in the picture above has worked for every screw I've ever run across on a lot of different Asian motorcycle restorations I've done over the years.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts