TW200 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 24 miles on mine and its finally time to tighten that chain up. That nuts a pretty good size so im guessing maybe a 1/2 inch socket. Figured I would ask before I take a trip to advance auto parts. Give your mom some flowers today! Or in my case a fifth of gentleman jack lol

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
19 mm.................. Lightly tap the snail adjustment cam one notch at a time....... It doesn't take much............Remember the dubs need some slack to run right.. Make sure you find the tight spot in the chain before adjusting. OMM.

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
what do you mean by the tight spot in the chain.
Roll the bike on a flat service and watch the chain. You will see that the chain is tighter along the bottom edge at some places and looser in others. You want to make sure you measure the chain at its tightest spot.

Tom

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
I have 24 miles on mine and its finally time to tighten that chain up. That nuts a pretty good size so im guessing maybe a 1/2 inch socket. Figured I would ask before I take a trip to advance auto parts. Give your mom some flowers today! Or in my case a fifth of gentleman jack lol
If you want to take that nut off and put it back on more than once, you need a 22 mm socket or open end. You can hold the bolt with a crescent wrench, but using a 1/2 inch socket will only cause you grief. It needs 65 ft/lbs of torque.

Get some Metric tools and a torque wrench!;)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A torque wrench eh? sounds expensive. The tool bag that was given to me when I purchased the bike had 22mm wrench in there. Why didnt I check there first is a good question lol. even after a full mothers day meal I was unable to get the nut to loosen by standing on the wrench.

·
Registered
765 Posts
A torque wrench eh? sounds expensive. The tool bag that was given to me when I purchased the bike had 22mm wrench in there. Why didnt I check there first is a good question lol. even after a full mothers day meal I was unable to get the nut to loosen by standing on the wrench.
Make sure you are not tightening it. Its not too difficult. Also make sure the other side isn't moving

Sent from Android for Nook Tablet using Taptalk

·
Registered
445 Posts
That's where a tool tube and longer wrenches help. I keep both long wrenches in the tube because it gives greater leverage and the 19mm is long enough to stop on pavement or a good rock so it won't move while I jump on the 22mm.

Harbor Freight is your friend for cheap tools, torque wrenches are actually on sale right now. :)

·
Registered
285 Posts
"A torque wrench eh? sounds expensive."

I got this one on Amazon. It's the Harbor Freight brand and they're currently $23.24. Used it for the first time the other day, for that same purpose.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The snail adjustment cams should be in the same position on either side correct? My bike came from the factory and they were both in opposite directions of eachother

1 - 14 of 14 Posts