TW200 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm looking to change to road gearing. I want to get close to 65mph and also have safe acceleration. 14/47? 14/45?

Sent from my Barnes & Noble Nook Tablet using Tapatalk

·
Registered
503 Posts
15/49 is my choice. 225-240lbs rider w/gear. Mileage stays in the 60-70 range

·
Registered
240 Posts
I want to get close to 65mph and also have safe acceleration.
It depends on your definition of "safe acceleration". Stock gearing, my TW runs out of breath at about 72mph (speedo) going downhill. Redline is somewhere near 85mph so it ends up being a lack of power issue. I can maintain 65 almost everywhere except steep hills. Noticeable acceleration stops at about 65. Only noticeable difference above that is the engine sound as speed increases. Above 65, handling starts to get a little sketchy with any wind.

If you're looking for acceleration above 65, I'd look into the 225cc upgrade and even then; don't expect a whole heck of a lot. As for running at 65, your oil consumption of that little one quart in the crankcase is probably going to be in the neighborhood of 4oz every gas tank (my experience).

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
With stock I get about 55. Acceleration is very bad after 45.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What oil you usin'?
cheap gas station crap. 10w 30 or 40

·
Registered
1,442 Posts

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
It should accelerate better with stock gearing than with a taller gearing. Overall I like 15/50 or 14/47. If I was only road riding and fire trails I think 14/45 would be perfect. I ran 15/47 on a road trip once and it was ok but any head wind or uphill and I was down shifting a gear.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looks like I just need to use the 600 for long trips

·
Registered
503 Posts
the hell you say! Long trips are perfect for the TW. Just don't ask the little guy to do it quickly. If you need to be there sooner rather than later, leave sooner rather than later. When you've reached your destination, you'll have a bigger smile on your face riding the TW

Reactions: TW-Brian

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the hell you say! Long trips are perfect for the TW. Just don't ask the little guy to do it quickly. If you need to be there sooner rather than later, leave sooner rather than later. When you've reached your destination, you'll have a bigger smile on your face riding the TW
well, good point. gives me chance to take the scenic route :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts