TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I carry .380, 9mm, 357 mag, 40 cal, and on occasion 45 depending on circumstances, weather and clothing options. Just wondering if other T-Duber's have preferences. I know, totally off topic, just curious. And I don't want to get into a discussion about the why's of it.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Taurus_38.jpg

Simple and lite....although I don't feel the need to ride with one in my area....perhaps next year when planning on longer trips to areas I am not familiar with.

·
Registered
96 Posts
HK P7 PSP (9mm) is my preferred, though I usually have a Kel-Tec P32 in a pocket, as well. I have a Kahr 380 to replace the Keltec with if I can prove/achieve equal reliability.

Matthew

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Donbenito posted this question back in march of this year with 322 replies and over 13k views.....:D but still fun to bring up question again...xracer, I've got you beat with smaller beretta .25 caliper auto.....:p Whoops, you can tell I'm in the auto repair industry...Caliber not caliper....lol

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
I carry 2 but only when I'm out of this communist state of Maryland.
Kel Tek Scorpion .380 and my farm buddy.
Custom Mark III. 22 cal
Tactical Solutions Barrel
Volquartsen Lower
Leupold Scope w/ Quick Disconnect Scope Mounts
Fiber Optic Sights
Gemtech Suppressor
Caldwell Bipod

Everything can be removed to holster.

image.jpg image.jpg

·
Registered
85 Posts
Quite the apparatus you've got there. (Ruger setup) Can you hit anything with it? I'd be interested in seeing a 50 yard group.

Oh, and being a 22LR, have you found any ammo for it? I'm still looking.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
The 380 I have is the LCP, and the 9mm the Ruger LC9, the 357 is the S&W J Frame Stainless/Hammerless, the 40Cal is a CW40 Kahr( the only of this group I would not recommend as it took 200+ rds. to become reliable, and none of the others from round 1 had a jam/ FTF moment), and the 45 is a Taurus pt1911s. I also have several other pistols I never conceal carry: a Ruger Mark 1 22 a S&W 38 special K frame.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
image.jpg
image.jpg
Quite the apparatus you've got there. (Ruger setup) Can you hit anything with it? I'd be interested in seeing a 50 yard group.

Oh, and being a 22LR, have you found any ammo for it? I'm still looking.
I have enough ammo to last me 2 lifetimes. That's another topic.

It shoots like a rifle I shoot groundhogs squirrels and rabbits out at the range I shoot clays out at 110 yards then pieces of clays. 100 yards I need the faster bullets of course I loose the suppression. I don't have a group pic with this but below is a ammo test I did with my Savage

Question to anyone: Can a picture be turned once it is inserted into a thread?

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
You guys all suck! We have a hard time carrying a pocket knife in NJ.... I do carry my LCR in the yard, especially when I'm out with the dog at night. Damn bears are gettin' awnry (sp?) this time of year.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, TopPredator, I must say I'm impressed with your rig. Nice if it could be had in 22 winmag.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well TopPredator, Sniper rifles in 300 Win Mag and .338 Lapua Mag. use suppressors.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Well TopPredator, Sniper rifles in 300 Win Mag and .338 Lapua Mag. use suppressors.
They do but you still hear the sonic boom. You only suppress your location. If I shoot ammo above 1124 FPS it's loud. Below that and it's quitter the a pellet gun. The first time I took it into the woods I wanted to test it. I fired it into the ground about 10 minutes Later I had deer show up. That's quiet.

·
Registered
96 Posts
dogonit,

Yes, long range rifles can make good use of suppressors for three basic reasons:

1. The suppressor reduces the muzzle blast which reduces the amount of dust kicked up. This helps prevent a sniper from being spotted.
2. The suppressor reduces recoil by significantly slowing down the gasses escaping (about 1/3 of the recoil in a high powered rifle is from the powder and gasses). In this regard, a suppressor works similar to a muzzle brake.
3. If you are far enough away, then masking the muzzle blast can keep critters from knowing that something is actually close by.

For something like a 22 win mag, you don't have much muzzle blast or recoil. You also don't often have enough range (trajectory and energy) to be outside of a small critters observation zone. If you had a good concealed position, you would of course do fine.

I will also add, however, the #4 reason, which is a suppressed weapon is just much more pleasant to shoot because of the reduction in noise. Even if the paper targets and soda cans don't hear well enough to spot you, shooting with a suppressor is a lot more fun regardless of chambering.

While suppressing a 22 win mag would not be my first choice, I'd still shoot it and have fun. Personally, I would prefer to step up just a little and go to the .22 Hornet with a fast twist for long bullets, but I reload. If I did not, then the 22 win mag is still a good time. The only downside of the 22 win mag is that you lose the choice of loading subsonic ammo when you want it. Out of a pistol length barrel, the 22 LR with a high velocity load has very similar performance to the 22 win mag. Out of a rifle, however, the difference is much larger.

When in doubt, buy both! :D

Matthew

oops, sorry. We weren't supposed to get too detailed into the "why," were we?

1 - 20 of 69 Posts