TW200 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning All,

I need a little help please. Rode the trusty TW to work as usual (06 bone stock) shut it off and then needed to restart it. Turned on the key, thumbed the kill switch and nothing. Zip. Nada.

This thing has never so much as hiccuped before..... I'm at work, so I can't really go dig into it either. Just wondering if there is a relay or fusable link or somesuch issue that has come up before? I don't like getting on here at work, but sure could use some direction.

Thanks all!

Bag

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Take it out of gear or pull up the kick stand. You have one of the multitude of safety features playing against you. When you get nothing (no click, no turnover etc.) you know its the kill switch, kickstand, or tranny safety devices. Good luck, You've probably figured it out by now. Tom

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Guys,

Thank you for the input!

I played with all the safety cutouts, couldn't get any relief....didn't want to take the seat and all off to check the bat connections here are work, so no, but will as soon as I get home. I did roll it down the back of the loading dock and she bumped right over and ran fine.

Interesting facts: When I turn on the key there is no electrical change, no headlight, blinkers, brake light, nutral indicator, nothing. With it bumpstarted, all lights work fine, and the bike runs fine.

I went ahead and ran it home at lunch, so it's safe in the shop until I can get home and check it out.

Still looking.......

Bag

·
Registered
527 Posts
This last post really makes it sound like a battery connection or battery.

Hey Guys,

Thank you for the input!

I played with all the safety cutouts, couldn't get any relief....didn't want to take the seat and all off to check the bat connections here are work, so no, but will as soon as I get home. I did roll it down the back of the loading dock and she bumped right over and ran fine.

Interesting facts: When I turn on the key there is no electrical change, no headlight, blinkers, brake light, nutral indicator, nothing. With it bumpstarted, all lights work fine, and the bike runs fine.

I went ahead and ran it home at lunch, so it's safe in the shop until I can get home and check it out.

Still looking.......

Bag

·
Registered
13,782 Posts
And if you would be so kind, please let us know what the problem is when you find out. Thanks

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey Guys, Thanks a bunch for all the input, I'm heading home in a couple minutes, I'll let ya'll know what I find!

Bag

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well for those of you with a horse in this race, it was the negitive battery cable disconnected. The screw had vibrated completely out and had dissapeared. Hooked it back up (with locktite) and she fired right up. After seeing how much room the bat had to bounce around, I made some shims out of some rubber mat I had to hold it a little firmer.

Thanks all for the suggestions.

As a sidenote, the very next mod will be a home made version of Mule Nuts!

Bag

·
Registered
590 Posts
I know it's been said before that the bike will run fine without the battery, but it still is interesting to hear about it (and nice to know a bump or kick start will get you on your way again). Wonder where the extra charging current goes, or is there a regulator that shuts off the charging past what is needed for the lights, etc? Or will the charging system get damaged eventually?

On a car engine disconnecting the battery will toast the alternator AFAIK.

·
Registered
13,782 Posts
I'm glad it was a simple problem/fix and not something where you had to break out all the electrical testing gadgets, just to come up empty for a cause. Big relief for you I'm sure.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
RM, you are most welcome.

PJ, not sure, Yet ;-)

Admiral, I was pretty happy too. Hate those ghost problems.

I plan to sit down tonight and go over every bolt/nut connector on both bikes. It is really rocky here where we ride and the poor bikes are constantly getting banged around and bounced over things.

I will give me time to sit and imagineer a solution to bending my shift lever all the time.......

Thanks again Guys.

Bag

1 - 15 of 15 Posts