TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
20,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So for those who have seen me limp, heard the occasional "bone-on-bone-moan” or wonder why Fred fell down when he tried to dab with his right foot these last 9 months I finally have an explaination. Surgeon reviewing my hip’s MRI went into great detail using medico-terminology but to me it sounded like he was saying I have buggered up swing arm assembly. xray.jpg
Something about how my factory bushings are disintegrating with accumulating corrosion that will require an All-Balls replacement soon. images-3.jpeg
Good news was he lubed my pivot with some sort of steroid grease so I can keep riding until the snow flies. Didn’t know my hip had a zerk fitting.:p
Think I’ll have to celebrate the reduced pain by another good ride or two.

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
Love the motorcycle analogy, zerk fitting, too funny. Hopefully, the "All-Balls" replacement will be restricted to just the hip and not "all balls":p

Sounds like the replacement is a few months away. Till then, enjoy the rest of summer and early fall.

·
Super Moderator
17,921 Posts
Welcome to old age Fred... :D Hang in there, it get's worse...:p

Seriously, hope they can fix you right up brother!!

·
Registered
20,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Steroid injection really seems to the suppress the inflammatory response and subsequent pain from the rubbing of damaged parts on each other. Side effect is reduced immune response and increased chance of infection so I still need to be careful.
Adam and I shall try to explore some new single track I found a month ago that I was apprehensive to try by myself in a weakened condition. Time to re-build some atrophied core strength.

·
Super Moderator
17,921 Posts
I need a hip replacement also, but because of my weight they won't do it at this point... Recovery is supposed to take quite awhile. As much as you love to ride, you better have it done in the Fall so you can recover and hopefully be back riding in the spring...

·
Registered
20,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
“We are the sum of our scars”
I highly recommend the newer anterior approach to hip replacement surgery. Without nearly as much muscle cutting as in the historical posterior approach the patient’s recovery is only about a month long as they deal primarily with the soft tissue trauma resulting from the surgical team temporarily displacing muscle as they create access from the front. A good match between femur and implant shaft can help reduce the bone ache after they pound that puppy into place. Go with an experienced surgeon.

·
Super Moderator
17,921 Posts
Wow, that's a whole lot better then the 6 months to a year I've heard. Unfortunately the VA hospital is usually doctors in training... (and they've screwed up surgery on me before) :rolleyes:
“We are the sum of our scars”
I highly recommend the newer anterior approach to hip replacement surgery. Without nearly as much muscle cutting as in the historical posterior approach the patient’s recovery is only about a month long as they deal primarily with the soft tissue trauma resulting from the surgical team temporarily displacing muscle as they create access from the front. A good match between femur and implant shaft can help reduce the bone ache after they pound that puppy into place. Go with an experienced surgeon.

·
Super Moderator
17,921 Posts

·
Registered
5,938 Posts
Fred, Fred, Fred . . . . . another victim of osteoarthritis.

I had my right knee replaced last December.

Here is the before pic.

Both Knees - Front View - Pre-Surgery.jpg

Here is the after pic, with some shiny new cobalt chromium bling.

Both Knees - Front View - New.jpg

The goods news is, hip replacements are supposedly easier and less painful than knees.

The Cortisone shots are great, but mine only lasted for less than a week. The actual surgery is the easiest part. You just show up at the hospital, change into a gown and climb into a bed. They start pumping drugs into and you go to sleep. Next thing you know is you are in recovery and feeling kind of goofy. They had me up and using a walker that same evening and only kept me for one night.

I used a walker for about a week or so and then I could get around using just a hiking pole to help me with my balance. The relief from the knee pain was immediate. What takes time is the recovery from the soft tissue damage and the balancing act of managing the swelling and inflammation while rebuilding your strength and range of motion. Even the PT (Pain & Torture) was not bad at all. All in all, the whole ordeal was much, much easier than I was expecting and certainly not worth all the worry and agonizing that I went through pre-surgery. I sincerely hope that your experience is similar.

Let me know if you have any questions, or if there is anything you need, or that I can do to help you.

·
Super Moderator
17,921 Posts
PT=Pain and Torture... haha haha That's a good one. :D
Fred, Fred, Fred . . . . . another victim of osteoarthritis.

I had my right knee replaced last December.

Here is the before pic.

View attachment 121930

Here is the after pic, with some shiny new cobalt chromium bling.

View attachment 121938

The goods news is, hip replacements are supposedly easier and less painful than knees.

The Cortisone shots are great, but mine only lasted for less than a week. The actual surgery is the easiest part. You just show up at the hospital, change into a gown and climb into a bed. They start pumping drugs into and you go to sleep. Next thing you know is you are in recovery and feeling kind of goofy. They had me up and using a walker that same evening and only kept me for one night.

I used a walker for about a week or so and then I could get around using just a hiking pole to help me with my balance. The relief from the knee pain was immediate. What takes time is the recovery from the soft tissue damage and the balancing act of managing the swelling and inflammation while rebuilding your strength and range of motion. Even the PT (Pain & Torture) was not bad at all. All in all, the whole ordeal was much, much easier than I was expecting and certainly not worth all the worry and agonizing that I went through pre-surgery. I sincerely hope that your experience is similar.

Let me know if you have any questions, or if there is anything you need, or that I can do to help you.

·
Registered
20,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I had networked with friends and acquaintances in the industry to find the most experienced in my region, yet still needed a Guinea pig to test the surgeon’s competence. So I sent my wife in first for a hip replacement with the surgeon in question. Her procedure and recovery were top notch but just to be sure I had him do her other hip too. That also came out just fine and she is a pretty frisky lady now, fully capable of outrunning me when I try to chase her around the house.
Reminds me of when we were courting...I chased her until she caught me.:D

·
Registered
238 Posts
Someone active like you isn't going to need 6 months for a hip. You don't know it but right now you are in so much pain that when they replace the hip you're going to jump for joy and run out of the hospital. You won't even have to go to rehab because you'll just start using it. Knees are much more complicated issue and require a longer rehab. You are just going to wish you did it sooner!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 25 Posts