TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Neutral light flickers when tdub is running in neutral. Then sometimes the N light just goes out. I Replaced neutral switch thats under the left side cover but no luck. Also if I give a little throttle in N....The relay in the right side cover witch I believe is the neutral relay goes freakin crazy. Neutral bulb is new...installed new neutral relay and still the same. I'm baffle! What else can I check? Getting 11.66 volts on battery at idle. Bad rectifier?
Thanks for any things to look for...

·
Super Moderator
18,138 Posts
I would have the battery tested first. Take it to a auto parts store, most of them do it for free. Do that first.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Battery holds at 12.65 volts when bike is off
Its only a year old...and we use the battery tender junior
But I guess i will pull it out and take it to auto zone
Im gonna check water level before I get it tested

·
Super Moderator
18,138 Posts
Sometimes when they are getting ready to go out, TW's will act strangely with weird light and signal problems, just like yours. Mine acted up just as my battery was going out and I know others have found the same thing. Rule 1, is always look at the battery first. Don't add water tonight, let them test it as it is. They need to load test it. Or if the battery acid is down to the plates but not farther, add distilled water and slow charge on your tender, re-install and try again. Sometimes, that's all they needed, sometimes not. ;)

Reactions: TWilight

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok thanks! If i need a battery what brand should I go with? Should I go sealed gel type. I hate these water filled batteries....so hard to see the level through the plastic

Reactions: grewen

·
Super Moderator
18,138 Posts
Yeah it is. I'm thinking, for a maintenance free battery online somewhere... around 60 bucks? You have a kicker added? If you do, I would probably go with a cheaper one, if not, it might be better to get one of the good ones. Either way is fine really, considering (usually) you get 3-5 years on any kind. ;)

·
Registered
816 Posts
im gonna take a wild guess maybe your neutral indicator lead has an issue. Possible grounding on the case? I would check it for breaks, but just a guess

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You meen the wire that runs under the case to the neutral sensor?

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If the neutral light wont come on in N....I can bang on the kill switch with my hand and the N light will come on
Or if the N light wont come on...and I jiggle the shifter...it will come on
Im baffled!

·
Super Moderator
18,138 Posts
Hmmmm. Yeah, something's not right. Still check the battery though.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
All of these lights and the kill switch plug in behind the headlight in a bundle. The very first place to start IMO is right there to make sure all the plug in connectors are making a solid contact.

GaryL

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
All of these lights and the kill switch plug in behind the headlight in a bundle. The very first place to start IMO is right there to make sure all the plug in connectors are making a solid contact.

GaryL
This first. Them I would trace all of the wires associated with the neutral light from the light itself all the way through to the safety switch.

·
Super Moderator
18,138 Posts
I didn't have to bang on my kill switch or anything, but when my battery was just starting to go out, the neutral dash light wouldn't work and a signal light didn't work also, but upon checking them, the bulbs were just fine. Replaced the battery and all ok just like before!! Just sayin...but it does sound like you have another problem as well. Keep us posted. :D

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Yes i have a 2013....but the one with the problem is my wifes 1989 tdub
I checked every single connection for corrosion. Everything looks great...amazing how good the wiring looks on this bike.
Im baffled! If the bike is running with kickstand down in neutral and you stand the bike up straight,the N light flickers then bike dies
This Tdub must have a bad mercury switch somewhere lol...
Battery holding at 12.06 volts and dives down to 11.66 volts with key on. Thats not a good number after a full charge and only sitting one night. So im gonna try a battery first. Ive already taken the entire kill switch apart and cleaned every contact inside of the switch.
Found a Bike master Gel battery on ebay for $56.00 shipped

·
Super Moderator
18,138 Posts
Good!! Hopefully you don't have any other problems besides the battery, but it is possible. Why don't you swap batteries from one bike to the other and see what happens, while you wait for the new one to come in? I really think the battery is failing, but I've been wrong before and will probably be wrong again before the night is over!! ;)

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
And if not I found a 2006 for $2,700

·
Registered
20,466 Posts
One can load test a battery at home by noting voltage drop across battery while engaging the starter motor.

Reactions: littletommy

·
Super Moderator
18,138 Posts
Agreed Fred. His battery is already reading lower than it should I think, for being a freshly charged rested battery. If I was load testing it at home, I would turn on as much stuff on the TW as I would usually run it with...lights, brakes, grip heaters, charger, etc. His is on the way out, I believe.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts