TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
FIRST WATCH THIS VIDEO

Look at 2 minutes, 45 seconds or so. If you want to see the gory stuff, it's towards the end.

This is a must see video and a must read thread for all bike riders everywhere.

Here are mine, that I follow every time I am riding my bike. I also follow these rules driving my car.

Number 1.
Never ride faster than you can stop within the distance you can see, ever, period.

Number 2.
Constantly watch for changing road conditions.

Number 3.
At a stop, when getting ready to pull out into traffic, look once, look twice, look even three times, and then as you are executing your entrance into traffic, look ONE MORE TIME, before it's too late to stop if needed.

I Can Say That These Three Things Have Definitely Saved My Life Before.

What tips do you have that have helped you?? Please add those comments to this thread. You could save not only your life, but hopefully someone who reads your tips here as well...

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have to remember all the techniques mentioned above. I ride mostly mountain logging roads which have little or no traffic but many blind corners. It's tempting to want to ride aggressively but I've come face to face with fully loaded logging trucks more than once.

·
Registered
583 Posts
When approaching a car that may potentially pull out in front of you, do a couple 2-3 short weaves. It grabs their attention and they actually see you.
Classic SMIDSY manoeuvre ( http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=6&ved=0CD8QtwIwBQ&url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqQBubilSXU&ei=5nKMVYSZGoKrggT-zoKABA&usg=AFQjCNHzu7VaZPYajFxol-jq6ChA5CbcJw&bvm=bv.96782255,d.eXY) and part of my riding style.

Standing up on the bike really seems to get the attention of those at intersections that look like they may pull out in front you.
I also have a habit of "covering" the horn in situations like that. I have a Stebel air horn on my V-Strom that is 139 decibels loud that has saved my bacon more than once. It's amazing how quickly an inattentive car driver will come to an immediate stop when they think a tractor trailer is bearing down on them!!
And I'm serious the horn has without a doubt saved me from serious injury or worse.
I would install one on the dirt bikes but water is their enemy and I don't think it would last long off-roading around here. Too much water on the trails.

Also I never ever ride outside my comfort zone no matter what.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Sadly standing on your pegs in BC can get you a ticket and fine for stunting.

I try to ride where I am most visible and make Eye contact with drivers at intersections.

On those nice twisty roads, I stay on my side of the road on blind corners.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Micro- phones. No kidding. Communication between riders is crucial. My riding partner has saved my body parts on several occasions. I allow the wife to take the lead and she warns me of approaching logging trucks. Over the microphone I will hear things as " wow the logging truck just missed me" or " that pot hole just knocked my ass between my ears" I know to proceed with caution. It's like having another set of eyes and a early warning system for one of us. Dirts a Flyen SanDue

·
Registered
583 Posts
Sadly standing on your pegs in BC can get you a ticket and fine for stunting.
Some laws just need to be challenged, changed or broken. What a stupid law. I know stunting here in Nova Scotia carries very stiff fines and penalties. But as far as I know on a motorcycle it only applies to very excessive speed or wheelies. Gonna have to look into the standing on the pegs thing because I do that all the time to stretch the old bones while out riding.
Has anyone ever challenged this law?

·
Registered
214 Posts
I wear a hi-vis neon yellow riding jacket and helmet. I have lost count of the drivers who come up to me and say how far away they see me. I am always seeing people take notice. Maybe they are saying " Look at that clown" but I'll live with that just fine.

·
Registered
19,196 Posts
A lesson from a british driving instruction many years ago has stuck with me: Defensive driving entails a bit of assertiveness, be visibly claiming your lane so oncoming traffic sees you and shares the road. Maybe this makes more sense on narrow british country lanes where if you are near the edge you may appear parked, while if you are demonstrably in the center on the roadway oncoming traffic thinks " Blimmey, I better move over for this selfish bloke", gets alert and prepares for you . Of course you immediately move over also taking no more than your fair share too.
On the contrary I have found if I don't do this here in America but instead politely crowd as far to right as possible well in advance then the oncoming traffic feels no sense of urgency to share the road and often will continue on while intruding onto my traffic lane as they see no need to get back in their lane. This mistake of over-politeness is a good way to be forced to eat a ditch or a mailbox.
Don't be selfish, but demonstrate your intentions firmly...turn signals, hand signals, tapping brake lights to flash when slowing, etc all let the inattentive wake up and be aware of you.
This also means claim and defend your slot in traffic, leave more than 120% of a reasonable gap behind car ahead and you risk someone darting in ( usually w/o a turn signal) forcing you to brake to re-establish safe separation. Good way to get rear ended or generally contribute to slowing down a long stream of cars behind you creating additional congestion, frustration lost productivity,and global warming.
When I drove in Brazil irregardless of speed when in traffic if you left more than about 120% of a car length in front of you then someone invariably crowds in. Only place where the safe thing is to tailgate, even at 140 kph.
And finally if one has the right of way then exercise it! Don't be that polite old lady waving everyone on at a 4-way stop intersection only to cause mass confusion. Do not be meek.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I just installed a thingy so that when I even touch my foot or hand brake lever/pedal my brake light flashes three times quick and then solid. I don't ride much at night. But when I do this enables me to make sure that vehicles coming up behind me are alerted to my presence on the road.
Have a link to that thingy? I need one of those thingys.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I came very close to being rear-ended at a stoplight about a year ago, pure dumb luck that the driver behind me skidded to a stop before making contact.

After that happened I started fluttering my brake lever as cars come into view behind me. The erratic flashing seems to get drivers' attention pretty well, and they tend to leave a little more space when they know you're watching them.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
When making a left hand turn on a two lane road. If I have to stop because of on coming traffic I continue on until I can perform a U turn, left turn or what ever. I'm out for a ride and 0 MPH is the most dangerous speed.

·
Super Moderator
17,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
When approaching a car that may potentially pull out in front of you, do a couple 2-3 short weaves. It grabs their attention and they actually see you.
Very good point bro. I do that a little too if I think someone may do that.

2 more things came to mind also that I do.

1. I NEVER DRIVE NEXT TO A CAR, TRUCK, OR ANYTHING ELSE. EXCEPT I may scoot alongside someone a little for protection going through an intersection. Especially if there is a possibility of someone turning into that intersection right after the vehicle that I was following behind.

2. I ALWAYS USE HIGH BEAMS DURING THE DAY, it makes you about 10 times more visible at least. It's ok, you will not blind anyone, it's daytime... Having a headlight modulator is even better. (Headlight is changed between bright & dim repeatedly during daytime only)

Optional: WEAR A WHITE HELMET. They say it makes you 30% more visible. Plus, it's so much cooler folks than a black one or a pretty one that matches your bike. If they said it was safer, I'd ride down the street naked. Woah..hold on now..that does not bring up a nice mental picture. I hope they never say that! :p

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
I wear a hi-vis neon yellow riding jacket and helmet. I have lost count of the drivers who come up to me and say how far away they see me. I am always seeing people take notice. Maybe they are saying " Look at that clown" but I'll live with that just fine.
I'm right there with you brother. Hi-Vis neon Yellow stands out and I go no where with out wearing it. Period

image.jpg

This Statue even caught my eye one day. Don't look to close you'll go blind. :p

image.jpg

1 - 20 of 98 Posts