TW200 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the off pavement riding, just like to see what riders here are packing on the bike for tool kits.
I have the tool tubes coming so I was looking for ideas to put in them besides fuel.

Thank you for your insight ahead of time.

Dan

Because photos make posts better,

·
Registered
261 Posts
Thus far, I carry the stock tools that come with the bike. But if I had a tube, I'd put a wrench with the correct sized sockets in it along with a small tube of chain lube - not sure about extra fuses? Tire fix kit - the greasy plug type... you have a tire pump?

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Thus far, I carry the stock tools that come with the bike. But if I had a tube, I'd put a wrench with the correct sized sockets in it along with a small tube of chain lube - not sure about extra fuses? Tire fix kit - the greasy plug type... you have a tire pump?
The greasy plug type tire repair kit will do you no good for tube type tires...

·
Registered
648 Posts
Not even sure if the quick snap off tire repair kit would help with tubed tires but i bring that and the standard tools that came with the tw200.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I use the factory tool kit plus a 10 & 12mm wrench and a leatherman. The ones with the kit are so weak that when i try to loosen the front brake caliper that the wrench flexes open and will round off before loosening the caliper bolts. I carry a rear tube, air compressor, tire tools, patch kit, valve stem removal tool and a crescent wrench. If im on a trip i takes fuses, zip ties, always have a spark plug and masterlink.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
I replaced the stock wrenches with good ones, replaced the plyers with 4" needle nose vice grips, added a small ratchet, 2" extension and 8, 10,12mm sockets, a couple of allen wrenches. I also carry three good tire levers, automotive patches and glue with a small air compressor. I keep a few zip ties in the saddle bag, along with a roll of tape, and 6 feet of electrical wire. A few common small nuts and bolts, master link, fuses, I always have a multi tool and cell phone on my belt. One of my saddle bags is devoted to tire repair tools and a small first aid kit, The flat repair tools have saved me more than once. The other one carries my cook kit, coffee, and food. I go into some desolate places alone and have to be self sufficient, I don't travel with out my bags.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I replaced the stock wrenches with good ones, replaced the plyers with 4" needle nose vice grips, added a small ratchet, 2" extension and 8, 10,12mm sockets, a couple of allen wrenches. I also carry three good tire levers, automotive patches and glue with a small air compressor. I keep a few zip ties in the saddle bag, along with a roll of tape, and 6 feet of electrical wire. A few common small nuts and bolts, master link, fuses, I always have a multi tool and cell phone on my belt. One of my saddle bags is devoted to tire repair tools and a small first aid kit, The flat repair tools have saved me more than once. The other one carrys my cook kit, coffee, and food. I don't travel with out my bags.
Ditto

I always feel like I bring too much, but there's been a few times where I've needed almost all of it. I'd rather carry too much than be stuck in the middle of nowhere, an hours ride or more from the closest town and no cell signal (which has happened and is why I bring so much now).

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
r80rt, I hope you move that first aid kit to the top of the list. It is the one thing I make a priorty.
Mel

·
Registered
976 Posts
I like taking this tool roll along, along with a lockback knife (no serrations, please!) and the needlenose Leatherman Squirt I always keep on my keychain. The little Leatherman's usually the only thing I use, but when me or a riding buddy needs something else, the tool roll pays all of the back rent it owes me!

-Angled needlenose pliers
-Needlenose vice grips
-Angle cutters
-Sm. regular vice grips
-Allen Key set
-J-B Weld (in the baggie there)
-Spare spark plug
-Mini CO2 tire inflator (no spare canister in the pic, usually have one)
-Ratchet handle (got a 13mm deep-well socket in the far right pocket, sometimes I take others or none)
-Mini-roll of yellow duct tape
-Adjustable wrench
-Shop towels
-Bundle of zip-ties
-Chain breaker
-Tire pressure gauge
-Spare master link (looks like I've got a leftover non-O-ring one too!

I could prolly stand to lose a few items and add a few others, but all in all this kit has served me well.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Mel, My first aid kit is small, but good. My daughter in law is a nurse and she fixed me up pretty darn good.

Reactions: Mel

·
Registered
13,795 Posts
I just pick one to supplement the on-board stock tool kit:rolleyes:.

But in all seriousness, I've really only used the stock tool kit with a leatherman/gerber type multiplier. Even though I'm using "Ride On" in my tires, I do plan on carrying tire irons and tube or tube patch kit. If I went on a multi-day adventure, I'd probably carry a bunch of tools the guys have already mentioned.

Reactions: r80rt

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
-Spare master link (looks like I've got a leftover non-O-ring one too!

I could prolly stand to lose a few items and add a few others, but all in all this kit has served me well.
Don't ditch the non-o-ring master link. All 428 links are the same width. It will work on an o-ring chain just fine.

The reverse is not true. An o-ring master will only fit an o-ring chain and if you manage to lose one of the o-rings it will flop like a fish. My "get ya home" masters are all standard. O-ring masters can sometimes be real hassle to deal with out in the boonies.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Air compressors... so what kind of compressors are ya'll toting? Talking tire pumps?

And "Run On" - is that like "slime"? That works in the tube? How does that affect street riding? Do you notice a difference? I can totally see that for trail riding - when I had my TT125, I always had slime in the tires, so I guess it works... never noticed any problem.

I forgot that these are tube tires... as said, the tar plugs won't do you any good!

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
40020 Slime 12-Volt Tire Top Off Inflator I use this, I drilled a few holes in the case so it would cool better. Rideon is much better than slime, but neither is as good as knowing how to fix a flat. Even with that stuff in your tires, if you have a puncture sooner or later you've got to break it down and fix it, might as well get it over with.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
40020 Slime 12-Volt Tire Top Off Inflator I use this, I drilled a few holes in the case so it would cool better. Rideon is much better than slime, but neither is as good as knowing how to fix a flat. Even with that stuff in your tires, if you have a puncture sooner or later you've got to break it down and fix it, might as well get it over with.
On days where you oughta be airing up and down you can't beat a 12V pump. Here's a link to ventilating them as RT has described so they won't overheat:

http://tw200forum.com/forum/general-discussion/3018-tire-refill-options.html

1 - 16 of 16 Posts