TW200 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for hand guards, but don't know what to buy. Don't anticipate any thick brush or trees. I mostly want clutch lever, brake lever and hand protection from dropping the bike. Any suggestions?

Reactions: jtomelliott49

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
I've had two of these....They are tuff! Stay away from the cheapo Chinese clones, but why pay $70 and up for a logo? Slightly fussy to install around cables but OK if you leave all the mounts loose until you get everything in the right place. Hint: wrap the expanders with as much electrical or duct tape as you can get on them before inserting and they will never loosen.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001A6CVUU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I agree not to get cheapos. If they fail, you’re not only out the money you paid for them but chances are you’ll be replacing a lever and possibly a turn signal.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Every bike that I own (other than the 2 scooters), 2 or 3 wheels have Tusk D-Flex.
Inexpensive but not cheaply made at all. They do work and I can attest to their strength & structure when hitting the deck (or perhaps a tree).

I even dropped the used Acerbis one's on my old xr250L and threw a new pair of D-Flex's on.
I got the recommendation for these from the good folks on this forum. Really a No-Brainer unless the logo of a more expensive brand is your thing?
I mean... it's a TW!

IMG_5769.JPG

IMG_5444.JPG

IMG_5768.JPG

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
Got the Tusk ones on the Dub and KLR. I can tell you I've tested them and except for a few scrapes on the plastic hard guards they have held up well.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm running the Cyra Pro Bend handguards on my TW and TTR230, both with the stock bars. They are tough, but not cheap. Some people claim to have had difficulty installing them, but I found it all pretty simple.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I have the Barkbusters and I'm sold on them. They proved their worth when I dumped it last year. Hard enough drop to bend both the guards and the bars (and put a slight bow in my front axle bolt), but my fingers and all the controls came out of it unscathed. If only they made ankle guards.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Tusk brand without any plastic covers. They now have several deep gouges in them and have successfully saved my hands and control levers from damage many times. I also like to think they may even help strengthen the aluminum Pro-Taper ATV High handlebars...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
13,782 Posts
I think I have one brand or the other on all of my TW's (and other bikes). They all seem the same to me. I'm not a brand specific fellow...or can't remember to keep buying the same brand. Whatever! :p Soon have to put my ATV mitts on as it's getting chilly. Hand guards help keep the mitts from interfering with the clutch handle.

TW Fever, catch it!
23.PNG

·
Registered
1,930 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
When I bought my bike the dealer gave me a set of Acerbis at dealer cost and put them on while I waiting for my paperwork. My hands and levers have sustained my deficient riding abilities. They work well. There are literally hundreds of types and colors and brands of these things. These serve a serious role and function so do not shop at Uncle Mao's General store for these. I have hit trees and posts and a few crashes. The Acerbis work well.

·
Registered
20,463 Posts
The Acerbis are actually made , not just assembled , in the USA and their price reflects the disparity in labor rates compared to their $25 Chinese clones. Material quality too, I believe ( my $25 patent infringing Chinese clones did not survive their first drop, the aluminum alloy fractured on Moab's unyielding sandstone).
However not being a fan of the Acerbis style I prefer the moderately priced D-flex handguards.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
And the winner is.......D-FLEX....by Tusk. lol I gotta get me some.

Reactions: Fred

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Just came in the mail. Hopefully get'um on the BW200 before it gets dark (darn Daylight Savings Time).
My 4th pair:

IMG_4035.jpg

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got my D-FLEX installed. Your turn stagewex.
White Handguards.JPG

Reactions: Fred
1 - 17 of 17 Posts