TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading through a few threads and wanted to comment on a few of mentions of their first bike but I did not want to hijack the thread. I want to know what your first bike was. My Dad taught me to ride on his 1966 Honda 160 Dream when I was 12 ( he had the 305 dream when I was younger). The first bike I owned was a 1973 Kawasaki G5 100 that I thought was the greatest thing on God's green earth until I bought my 1974 Honda CR125 Elsinore. I wish I had pictures of them but I don't, if you have pictures of yours please post them.

·
Registered
363 Posts
My first bike was a 1957 Triumph Tiger Cub, 250cc. I have a pic. somewhere but it's in an album that my elder sister has. The bike was lots of fun, but if you tried to run it at anything over 50mph for more than a few minutes, the engine would temporarily sieze. Next bike was a BMW R-50 and I have has a BM (now a R-65) in the garage pretty much since then.

Reactions: Ebbanflood

·
Registered
422 Posts
My first bike was a 1954 NSU Quick - a 98 cc moped built around a motorcycle style frame. Mom, Dad and I each chipped in $55.00 to pay for the machine the first weekend in June 1960. It was a birthday present for me later that month. I literally rode the wheels off that bike - longest run was 5 hours 45 minutes from Saskatoon to Regina at about 30 mph. It would go about 35 or 40 with a wind and slight down hill. nsu__quick_98_1952_3_lgw.jpg

Mine did not have the passengers seat but this 1952 gives you an idea

·
Super Moderator
18,138 Posts
A Honda CB 350-(I couldn't afford the CB 750 as a young sailor.) Drove that thing from one end of California to the other several times. It vibrated so bad that if I went on a long trip, I could hardly get off it, my body was so numb. :icon_shaking:

Reactions: Hoot Gibson

·
Registered
66 Posts
That wonderful little Honda CL70 was my first. It was a fantastic learning tool, about bikes and freedom. Man I had a lot of fun on that thing!

·
Registered
250 Posts
First bike I ever rode was a Yamaha Roadliner. 1800cc's was more than enough for someone who had only ridden a 50cc scooter! First bike I bought was a Suzuki GS500F. It was a good bike but I'd always ride past great dirt roads and get sad knowing I couldn't exlore them on it. Sold that and rode an r6 for a while, and ended up with the TW. Now between that and the Versys I can explore just about anywhere!

·
Registered
196 Posts
My first bike was a Yamaha TY125 that had been made road legal, had no indicators & doing hand signals going round slippery wet roundabouts one handed was fun on knobblys, not :) but I loved it all the same

·
Registered
54 Posts
My first "bike" was a Lambretta 150 (scooter ) followed by a Honda 150 Dream and then a Suzuki X6 Hustler. In many ways I consider the X6 my first real bike.
Have a few bikes now with my TW being the most recent acquisition and first dual sport or dirt bike. I'm too old to start riding motocross or crazy hill climbing in the dirt but look forward puttering around on the dirt as I used to really prefer mountain bicycling to road bicycling.

·
Registered
814 Posts
4 speed 65cc benelli. First street bike was an RD250A

·
Registered
124 Posts
I always wanted to ride a motorcycle but my parents were too strict and I was too much of a nerd.
After 'Independence Day', my Wife was too strict and I was now a Dad of two young kids.
In 2009 I begged and got permission to buy a bike as long as I only rode 'around the neighborhood'. Of course, I had to take the MSF Course and get endorsed first.
I looked on Ebay for a cheap motorcycle nearby. I saw one about 90 Miles away and bought it. When I went to pick it up the seller turned out to be a Police Officer. He said the bike was at his Rental Storage Unit. We went to the storage area and he said 'he did not have the key' to the lock--so he proceeds to break the lock. While this endeavor was going on the Storage Lot Owner shows up and gives the Seller a word or two. She had put a lock on the Unit because he had not paid rent. Anyhow, I got the bike and the Title. The Police Officer took my money and handed over the money to the Rental Lot Owner.

The bike was a 1978 Honda Twinstar CM185T. I learned how to ride on this bike and also how to use rattle can spray paint. I got this bike painted in a 'John Deere' theme. Within 3-4 months of buying this bike I had bought an additional 4 motorcycles. Really! At one point I had 6 motorcycles in a short period before I decided to sell one.

Thanks,
Simba

1978 Honda Twinstar CM185T

·
Registered
261 Posts
Yamaha 60 - vintage 1960's.

·
Registered
312 Posts
First bike I rode was a 74 sl 70 honda, the first bike I owned was a p.o.s cl100 honda I got for free, and got running...lots and lots of bikes after that.

·
Registered
23 Posts
A Bridgestone 100.
Think it was a 1968 but might have been a 69 or 70. Paid I think like $300 for it almost brand new.
Was 16 years old at the time (in 1970). Rode it home and around to the back porch where my dad was standing. I took off my helmet and when he realized it was me told me that if that was my motorcycle that I no longer lived there. Stayed at a friends house for a couple days till he cooled off and my mom smoothed it over with him and then when back home. My dad had a bad experience on a Henderson when he was my age and swore-off motorcycles for him and his kids.

Have had many since. Currently have two TeeDubs a 2009 and bought a new 2014 today.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts