TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What's your latest garage project?

It has been raining here lately, so I was able spend some time in the garage and complete a number of projects that I have been working on.

The first was a grimy old bandsaw with wobbly legs that I picked up off of craigslist.

Band Saw 1.jpg

After some cleanup and a fresh blade, I put it to work cutting some steel that I then welded together to make this rolling base. The saw works great and it is much more stable now, a lot more convenient to move around, and has a bunch of space where I can store all the smaller bits and pieces of metal that I currently have spread out all around my garage.

IMG_1400.JPG

IMG_1402.JPG

IMG_1403.JPG

Next was another craigslist find, a rusty, crusty old Moto Jack Rack with a frozen bottle jack.

IMG_1385.JPG

Again, after some cleanup, some new hardware, a new bottle jack, and some paint it is back in business now good as new.

IMG_1446.JPG

IMG_1439.JPG

The threads on the footpeg clamps were kind of boogered up, so I made a couple of new ones using some carriage bolts and rebar that I had laying around. (I absolutely love having a welder now and use every opportunity I can to stick peces of metal together :D!)

IMG_1450.JPG

Since I already had my bandsaw and welder setup, I decided to make this tool for positioning tubing or bar stock to be butt welded together. Just two sections of angle iron welded together with a center piece cut out of one of them. Sorry, I didn't have any tubing handy, but I think that you can get the idea of how it will be used.

IMG_1452.JPG

Last but not least was my first attempt at some garage art. An early Valentines Day gift for my wife. Just some chain that came off of my old Rokon and welded into the shape of a heart (did I mention that I really like being able to weld stuff together now?).

Surprisingly, my wife was really happy with this although it is too heavy and clunky for her to actually use as a keyring.

IMG_1407.JPG

(p.s. You may have noticed that most of my pics don't actually show my welds. There is a reason for this - this site will only let me post 10 pics :eek:;):D)

Hey mods, I thought that 10 pic limit was bumped up to 20 or 25. What happened to that?

·
Registered
606 Posts
Hmm, well I put my new smoker together, and everything I've made so far has been awesome. I replaced the plastic in the front wheel wells and the splitter and lower engine cover on the wife's car, then she went and drove right into the 1st curb she found when parking. UUGH!

·
Registered
20,206 Posts
So TW-Brian....How about some combo-tailights for the the new Motojack? Can't weld them on but you can play with a soldering iron for the trailer plug. Self-adhesive, flowing strobe for turn signals, brake and normal tail lights all fit on rear plate of Motojack.
I have one to install on my Motojack but first need to plow an ungodly mount of snow drifts blocking storage barn to get to this next under $10 project. s-l1600.jpg

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
So TW-Brian....How about some combo-tailights for the the new Motojack? Can't weld them on but you can play with a soldering iron for the trailer plug. Self-adhesive, flowing strobe for turn signals, brake and normal tail lights all fit on rear plate of Motojack.
I have one to install on my Motojack but first need to plow an ungodly mount of snow drifts blocking storage barn to get to this next under $10 project. View attachment 189506
Not a bad idea, Fred!

I would probably mount one of these lights on a strip of metal welded onto one of these 60lb pull Harbor Freight magnets. That way I could swap it between the 3 Moto Jack Racks I now have (but never use).

IMG_1453.JPG

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Hmm, well I put my new smoker together, and everything I've made so far has been awesome. I replaced the plastic in the front wheel wells and the splitter and lower engine cover on the wife's car, then she went and drove right into the 1st curb she found when parking. UUGH!
I am working for the school district and you wouldn't believe how many complete plastic scoop assemblies we would find laying across the curbs after students pull up too far.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
no welding or wrenching,

but my wife wanted a pizza oven... so we built one in the back yard... hope to light it up for the first pizza this weekend. rain permitting.

1 (2).jpg

then some silly yard art for a family friend that loves flamingos.
1 (1).jpg

·
Registered
183 Posts
A few years ago I ordered a customized set of side racks to work with the ortlieb pannier system (for years Ortlieb bags have been the gold standard for bicycle tourists. It's an outstanding system--- tough material, waterproof with an easy on/off system). I asked if Tim would add a horizontal bar and the lower u-shaped bar to his standard side racks. Fast forward to now--- I picked up an XT225 and wanted a set for it, so I made a couple of minor changes to the design. In an effort to reduce the weight I used 5/8 tube instead of 3/4 and increased the thickness of the hanging rod (from 1/4" to 5/16--belt and suspenders approach). A novice combined with a Harbor Freight welder is not a pretty picture :) However, a grinder and paint can hide a lot of sins.

I included a picture of the TW from a road trip a few years ago that shows the Ortlieb bag setup with Tims racks.

20190214_073316.jpg 20140430_114109.jpg 20190206_113622.jpg

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A few years ago I ordered a customized set of side racks to work with the ortlieb pannier system (for years Ortlieb bags have been the gold standard for bicycle tourists. It's an outstanding system--- tough material, waterproof with an easy on/off system). I asked if Tim would add a horizontal bar and the lower u-shaped bar to his standard side racks. Fast forward to now--- I picked up an XT225 and wanted a set for it, so I made a couple of minor changes to the design. In an effort to reduce the weight I used 5/8 tube instead of 3/4 and increased the thickness of the hanging rod (from 1/4" to 5/16--belt and suspenders approach). A novice combined with a Harbor Freight welder is not a pretty picture :) However, a grinder and paint can hide a lot of sins.

I included a picture of the TW from a road trip a few years ago that shows the Ortlieb bag setup with Tims racks.

View attachment 189642 View attachment 189644 View attachment 189640
Nicely done!

From another novice, those welds look pretty good to me :D.

·
Registered
20,206 Posts
Joe has a parilla!
Gonna make Nor-Cal Pizza Argentinian style? A good hot fugazzeta would be nice on a cold windy day, maybe a a slice or two of napolitana please! $.jpeg

Maybe the wife have a favored pizza de Molde recipe too? Or some simple napo or muza, or jamon y morrones?

Every country seems to have it's own take on pizza, all are worth trying but just don't expect the americanized standard as it definitely is not the global standard.

·
Registered
7,105 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Welding tables should not be made of wood -- I too am guilty!!! HF has a cheap metal welding table that folds up that I might get if I can find a welding project worthy of it.

https://www.harborfreight.com/adjustable-steel-welding-table-61369.html

The next thing you're going to tell me is that I shouldn't stand in a puddle of water when welding or have any combustibles next to the welding project project :)

You're right, I need to pick up one of those tables. Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
The next thing you're going to tell me is that I shouldn't stand in a puddle of water when welding or have any combustibles next to the welding project project :)

You're right, I need to pick up one of those tables. Thanks for the suggestion.
i haven't run into the "standing in water " thing yet, but i did find out that shorts and sandals aren't the best things to wear

1 - 20 of 101 Posts