TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What were your first influences?

While posting on another thread I thought about what first got me interested in motorcycles. First off my dad was a bike enthusiast so he was my first influence but what fine tuned my enthusiasm was watching the TT races my dad took me to at Ascot Park in the late 50's early 60's. I always pictured myself down on the track racing. I lived close to Joe Koons motorcycle shop in Long Beach CA and spent lots of time in the back looking at the used bikes and watching Jack Simmons who worked as a mechanic. He also kept his race bikes there and those bikes were the most awesome thing my adolescent mind could imagine. Now if I could just get my T-Dub to look like this...

scan0056.jpg

Jack Simmons with Joe Koons and BSA reps.

What are your first influences?

·
Registered
311 Posts
For me it was the Honda Trail CT110. I was always drawn to that little 'dual sport scooter'. Never got one though. By the time I finally bought my first bike 30+ years later (in 2015), my small-bike desire had matured into the mighty TW200.

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
It was mini bikes for me and then a Honda 50. Even as a kid, after that first couple rides, I knew bikes would be a part of my life forever. :p

I still get the same thrill I did as a kid whenever I get to ride a bike. I've never lost that love for riding and never will. As long as I can get on a bike and have a toe that can shift it, I'll ride until my last day on earth.

50+ years and still loving it like I was a kid. :D

·
Registered
319 Posts
Harley Momma.JPG Pam for Facebook cropped.jpg M&D.png

Who and want influenced me?

Thank you for asking.

My Dad, he rode a Harley 74 in 1952-54 from Champaign, IL to New London, CT while in the Navy. Here's a photo of him and Mom on his bike in 1952.

My Mom, because she's still hot at 87 setting on my Harley Nightster.

My wife because she prayed and the Father God told her to give me $25,000.00 in cash for our 25th wedding anniversary to buy any bike I wanted. I had never ridden a motorcycle and I was 45 years old. I've owned 30 bikes in the last near ten years and spent way more than that on them. Very gracious lady. Very good God!

My influences are both earthly and eternal that I believe motorcycles are a gift to mankind from God.

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
View attachment 28092 View attachment 28093 View attachment 28094

Who and want influenced me?

Thank you for asking.

My Dad, he rode a Harley 74 in 1952-54 from Champaign, IL to New London, CT while in the Navy. Here's a photo of him and Mom on his bike in 1952.

My Mom, because she's still hot at 87 setting on my Harley Nightster.

My wife because she prayed and the Father God told her to give me $25,000.00 in cash for our 25th wedding anniversary to buy any bike I wanted. I had never ridden a motorcycle and I was 45 years old. I've owned 30 bikes in the last near ten years and spent way more than that on them. Very gracious lady. Very good God!

My influences are both earthly and eternal that I believe motorcycles are a gift to mankind from God.
Way cool bro. Just wanted to mention, I love your signature at the bottom of your posts too. :D

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
My first influences...?
Well, I had a super hot red-haired babysitter when I was small..... That damn near ruined me right there, I tell ya.

Anyway...
As to motorcycles..
Living next door to us was a true Biker named Stan. Thinking back, he must have had a pre 65 Electra-Glide. I remember him showing me how to start it and helping me to try to kick it. I was all of 5 years old, and I just stood there on the kick pedal and the arm didn't even move. Stan got a good laugh out of it and said that since I couldn't start it, I should get involved with cars instead.
My mother was dead set against motorcycles, as she witnessed an accident of another motorcyclist while on the back of her friend's. The guy was decapitated by a cable that was stretched across the road to block a construction site (I95 near Pelham Bay Park in the Bronx). Years ago, they didn't barricade projects like today.
So, I was forbidden to have a motorcycle, ear ring, or tattoos.
The ear ring thing came and went in the 80's
The tattoos started when I turned 50
And I have always had many bikes.
When asked why I have so many bikes, I say "Because it isn't a collection if you only have one".
The bike I always wanted was a CT-90. I have 2 now.

Mostly doing cars growing up, the bike thing rehit me about 20 years ago.
Today, the collection runs from a mint 71 CT70 to a 2014 Harley Ultra Limited. Still have a couple of cars too.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
My neighbors 2 houses over owned the Yamaha shop (and Lincoln Mercury) downtown. I remember the 16 year old kid 8 years older than me coming home and riding the Big Bear Scrambler up and over the banks between our houses almost every day. He was fearless on that thing.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
My Father had a blue Honda 305. I sat on it everyday and couldn't wait to learn to ride it. Before I could ride it it had some catastrophic failure and I was forced to learn on his Honda 160 Dream. One day I was down on the beach not far from my house and met a kid my age riding a Honda Z-50. He let me try it and I was hooked. I told my Dad I that I wanted a mini-bike. He said don't get a mini-bike get a motorcycle. He also said that he is not buying it. I worked my ass off to make the money and when I did he took me to pick up my 1973 Kawasaki G5-100. I have not been without at least one motorcycle since. More than 40 years later I also still ride regularly with the kid on the Z-50.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Back during the oil crunch in the 70's my dad bought a brand new in the crate Jawa CZ 175 enduro (kind of) bike from an ad in the back of a magazine. It came truck freight to our farm and it took my dad a few days to get it put together. It was a heavy 2 smoke jobby with the shifter on the left side that pushed in and flipped back to double as the kick starter. My dad bought it for him but my mom took that thing over as both got their endorsements on it. I went to many a little league practice on the back of that thing and elsewhere but only locally. My friends thought that was pretty cool and as a young pup so did I. It was a piece of garbage but that whet my appetite for riding. Every once in a while I'll smell a 2 stroke exhaust that brings back memories of riding on the back of that thing. It's not any 2 stroke smell, this thing had a peculiar smell that very few 2 strokes replicate.

From there I got into riding dirt bikes, three wheelers, then when I turned 17 I bought my first street bike...a new 1981 Honda CM400 Custom from Rick Case Honda in Cleveland, OH. Took that bike on many long trips around the USA putting around 25k miles on it in just a few short years. I've pretty much had a bike my entire adult life except for about 5 years preparing to be a mission pilot spending nearly every dime I made on flying lessons and building flight time. I'm still torn whether to have a street bike or a dirt bike but now, later in life, might as well own both and I do enjoy both immensely for different reasons!

I found a youtube with a CZ just like my parents' had, same color even. The sound is the same.

Besides the goofy shifter/kickstart combo, you'll notice the clutch is on the right side as I forgot about that.

My daughter started riding with me in the yard when she was just over 1 year old after she learned to walk. She would get mad when I came home if I didn't come up to the porch, pick her up, set her up on the tank in front of me so she could hold on to the gas cap. A couple of laps around the little yard and she was happy. She still rides with me once in a while but as a 12 year old now she isn't much into it but I hope that changes.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Motorcycles are a tradition on my Dad's side of the family. My great-grandfather delivered mail on an old Indian up in the Appalachians way back when there were few 'real' roads. My father told stories about getting to ride with him during the holidays on mail runs and hand out candy to the kids at each stop. Listening to those stories started it for me.

But when he cinched me to his waist with a large belt and stuck me on the tank of his motorcycle to go riding, I was in heaven! Couldn't have been more than 5 at the time. I have no idea what kind of motorcycle it was, just that it had a big round red tank, long seat, and my sparkly yellow helmet kept sliding down over my eyes - Dad wore the blue helmet. He and Evel Knievel were my heros. I remember being glued to the television every time Knievel would try to jump something. Had the little wind-up stunt cycle and made him do all kinds of jumps and wipe outs.

I grew up putting cards in the spokes of my bicycle, begging for a 'rev machine' for the handlebars, dreaming of inheriting Dad's bike when I was old enough. When he gave it to his brother I was heartbroken. My uncle and cousins all ride street and dirt bikes to this day. Dad, however, gave up riding after seeing too many other guys have bad accidents and was strongly against me having anything more powerful than a bicycle. Luckily, Mom never said no. As a matter of fact, she pointed me in the direction of my first bike.

I was so excited by the chance to buy my very own motorcycle, I read every DMV book and book in the library I could find, then drove four hours out of the way to buy a used 500cc Honda Shadow out of a Harley dealership in Lynchburg. Had the dealer ride it for me so I could hear how it ran and watch how well it handled. He thought I was crazy (well, yeah, duh!) as he helped me load it into the back of my truck to drive home. Once back, it was sink or swim since the ground was too wet to set the bike on its stand, and it was too heavy to push. It was either leave it in the truckbed, or learn to ride right that minute to get it out of the yard and into the parking lot. Learning to ride right then and there was the Best Damn Decision I Ever Made!

Been on a motorcycle ever since. Great Grandpa, Dad, Mom, Evel Knievel... these were the best influences a girl could have.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
I owe everything to my older bother David. Back story. My oldest brother Rod had a nice little duck until a lady ran a stop sign and t-boned him. Totaled bike and a trashed ankle set the tone in my family. My friend had a home built mini bike that he let me try. I soon found out it had no brakes and did not turn. So I ended up crashing into a ditch. Scared the crap out of me! I wanted nothing to do with those killer motorcycles. My brother in 1969 had a Heath-Kit Boonie Bike and would not take no for an answer. He would put me on the front full A.T.G.A.T.T. and ride very slow around his yard with me full of terror. One day he stepped off the back and said to try it myself. I just about begged him not to do it but he would not give in. Finally I worked a deal. if I rode ten feet he would let me off. I rode ten,twenty....turned...and crashed into his fence! I got up as he ran over and something.....I don't know clicked.
I was no longer afraid and jumped back on and took off. A few years later I unloaded my 1974 TS-185 from the back of my Dads pickup truck. Put on my helmet. Started the bike and preceded to pull a wheel stand the length of his driveway,through his backyard and into the woods. He looked at my dad and said. This is the kid who was afraid to ride dirt bikes?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I cannot recall the "moment" I first began eyeing motorcycles. My dad has always had a need for speed, with just about any vehicle. I believe his first car (that he purchased himself) was a '60's Camaro, and a '69 Corvette later in life (before I was born). I know my uncle still has an old Yamaha dirt bike and THREE-wheeler in his shed, but the bike hasn't run in some time. (I should look into acquiring that...).
When I was a kid, my dad bought a Suzuki Katana. I don't have too many memories of that bike, but I do remember the first time I rode with him. He picked me up from my grandma's after school and I remember the rush I felt from that ride. A few years later, he bought sold that and bought a GSX-R. I had been asking for a dirt bike for several years at that point. I was ten or so when this began. Then one year, my dad pulled all the stops and completely surprised me with a Honda XR (that's a whole 'nother story). Had that for a couple years, before it was unfortunately stolen from our garage. That killed me. Ended up getting a Suzuki RM a couple years later, before my driver's license. I remember one time, out riding trails in our hometown with my dad (he had a YZ), he took me through the advanced lines. We came to a HUGE, STEEP hill. Roots bulging out randomly, a mixture of rock and dirt, and huge ruts from water running down. He went right up, but I stopped at the bottom. Terrified. He just kept yelling from the top that I could do it, that I knew what to do. And I finally went right up. I know it seems small, but I still mark that as one of the biggest boosts to my self-confidence of all time.
Dad no longer has his GSX-R. Has an '01 Ford Lightening, and I sold my Suzuki for the downpayment on my Mitsu Lancer. But now I have my '06 TW, and I love every minute I spend on it. Can't imagine a life without a motorcycle.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We did something similar. We took our bikes into my friends smooth cement patio and pretended we were racing flattrack. Was fun until my friends mom came home and blew a gasket because patio had a giant black rubber circle ground into it. spent the rest of the afternoon scrubbing it with soapy water and stiff brushes.

I used to hang out with all the neighborhood kids... We'd all get our bikes in my parents front yard, ten of us or so, and put a couple cards in the tires. Line up in the drive-way, and all ride off at the same time. I sure felt like a bad ass back then. :cool:

·
Registered
265 Posts
At age 4 my older brothers had a 2 1/2 HP lawnmower style engine on a Go-Kart from Sears that got me started on motorized sports. Evel Knievel definitely had my attention about motorcycles. My brothers mini-bikes next. And I must say the TV CHIPS show made me think all the fun things were happening in California. The CHIPS patrol always riding in warm weather while I was stuck in cold rain in Massachusetts. That actually had me seeking the West Coast. And more bikes

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
At age 4 my older brothers had a 2 1/2 HP lawnmower style engine on a Go-Kart from Sears that got me started on motorized sports. Evel Knievel definitely had my attention about motorcycles. My brothers mini-bikes next. And I must say the TV CHIPS show made me think all the fun things were happening in California. The CHIPS patrol always riding in warm weather while I was stuck in cold rain in Massachusetts. That actually had me seeking the West Coast. And more bikes
My dad got me a Savage mini bike that had a Briggs & Stratton lawn mower engine. Next to the T-Dub that was probably the next most fun bike I had.

·
Registered
254 Posts
My mum was always a big fan of motorcycles and when she got to her 40s she decided she's waited long enuff bought a little Suzuki and got her license.

Yet as a young teen I was dead set that cars and trucks were a better pass time and refused to give much attention to bikes. Then one day I was browsing the adds for my next project (had just finished my truck build at the time). And my mum and older brother suggested I enter a local charity bike build off thing (max of $500, lawnmower powered and assembled on site in 3hrs or less and then drag race). It sounded like a good laugh and I needed some thing in the garage to keep me busy till the next project could be found.

Well had so much fun building that stupid bike that I ended up asking to take my mums Suzuki for a boot around the block to try it. Two weeks later I had my license amd my first bike a 2000 Yamaha V-star 650 classic. I have not been without at least one bike since and have had many.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts