TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to get a TW200. I used to have an XT600 a ways back. I have found that I could get a new 2016, 2017 or 2018 with 0 miles all banging in at around the full price of $3995 to $4500+. I like the blue and white 2016/2017 models. The new 2018/2019 are OK. Is there any big difference in the 2016 model compared to the new ones? Would I be better off just getting a brand new 2018 model? Is there anything I should worry about by getting a 2016 or 2017?
Thanks

·
Registered
59 Posts
It is a know fact that the blue/white TW's are the fastest TW's ever produced. Blue/white are possibly the lower priced one also. A tough decision.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
The only thing I would worry about is paying more for a newer one. Make your best low mile deal and enjoy.

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
Hi Jeephead,

Welcome to the forum! There is no difference between the 2016, 2017 and 2018/2019 TW's except for the color schemes. The prices that you quote seem pretty low, so make sure that you are comparing the full "out the door" prices. There is no real downside to getting an older 2016 or 2017 if you like the colors, plus you may be able to negotiate a better price to save a few dollars for the usual farkles that most TW owners want.

Best of luck,

Brian

·
Registered
8,356 Posts
I like the Blue and White color scheme as well but I would be sure to add a little Red on the bike just because. As far as prices go, there is absolutely no difference in either of those year bikes except for the model year and color, with that said they should all be very close in price OTD with the only exception that the older model year left overs should be a little less while the current model year a little more but not by that much. I would say about $400 less for the 2016, $200 less for the 2017 than the current model year.

GaryL

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Wait a minute!!! Didn't they change to a new rear shock in one of those years???? And has anyone determined if the old or new style would be preferred in one environment or the other (street vs off-road)?

·
Registered
463 Posts
Welcome to the forum and best of luck finding the best deal on a TW! Certainly the best price should be on the oldest model. brand new or not. Where I live winter will be here soon enough and it is not impossible to find a great deal even on an 2018 because the dealers don't want to sit on it for 6+ months and next spring it will be an "old" model.

·
Super Moderator
4,882 Posts
Wait a minute!!! Didn't they change to a new rear shock in one of those years???? And has anyone determined if the old or new style would be preferred in one environment or the other (street vs off-road)?
They changed the rear shock somewhere around 2017 – the exact date is difficult to pin down

Both the older shock and the newer one are comparable in performance – and both need to have the spring compressed and removed for adjustment (such as it is)

There’s nothing in it as far as shocks go

(Good catch though) ….. ;)

·
Registered
604 Posts
Hi Jeephead,

Welcome to the forum! There is no difference between the 2016, 2017 and 2018/2019 TW's except for the color schemes. The prices that you quote seem pretty low, so make sure that you are comparing the full "out the door" prices. There is no real downside to getting an older 2016 or 2017 if you like the colors, plus you may be able to negotiate a better price to save a few dollars for the usual farkles that most TW owners want.

Best of luck,

Brian
Roger that Brian.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I like the Blue and White color scheme as well but I would be sure to add a little Red on the bike just because. As far as prices go, there is absolutely no difference in either of those year bikes except for the model year and color, with that said they should all be very close in price OTD with the only exception that the older model year left overs should be a little less while the current model year a little more but not by that much. I would say about $400 less for the 2016, $200 less for the 2017 than the current model year.

GaryL
Thanks for input. Unfortunately the 2016 was sold but the guy told me that he would sell me a 2018 for 4180$ OTD. Will give it some thought. Either way the TW is on my radar so we will see what I can find.

·
Registered
8,356 Posts
Thanks for input. Unfortunately the 2016 was sold but the guy told me that he would sell me a 2018 for 4180$ OTD. Will give it some thought. Either way the TW is on my radar so we will see what I can find.
OTD at $4180 with all fees and taxes paid sounds like a very decent price to me. Doubtful you will find much of a lower price so if the dealer you are working with is a good shop I would go for it. There always seems to be someone who claims they got theirs new for $3699 OTD but I sure would like to see the paperwork on that.

GaryL

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Look around at small dealers "out in the country" for the best 'non-current' deals.
I bought my brand new, 0-miles 2014 late in 2016 from a small dealer 200 miles away.
The dealer had 2 new 2014s and the 2017s were on the way...he was "highly motivated" to sell!
A dealer pays monthly floor-plan (finance charges) until a unit is sold...or paid off. A new 2014 is very hard to sell when a new 2017 is sitting next to it for virtually the same price. The longer he has had it, the better for you...he *really* wants to get it off his books and stop those interest payments!
I saved a cool $1,000, 2014 OTD vs 2017 OTD.
I used to be a Kawasaki/Polaris dealer and that knowledge made my TW purchase possible.
Be prepared to negotiate and be prepared to walk. Tell him his shop is much too far for maintenance, warranty work, etc.
Tell him you can't afford it but you know of a nice used one near home.
A commission salesman will be your friend in this deal but the GM or owner will have to approve all deals. His commission salesman will be "your" salesman! He cares far less what it sells for than if it sells or not. The salesman will play your buddy. The GM/owner will play the A-hole in the deal. He may try to bully you.
They will worry about selling the new ones when they get there, with a whole different strategy, mostly BS!
Good luck...let us know.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
"...There always seems to be someone who claims they got theirs new for $3699 OTD but I sure would like to see the paperwork on that..."

Gary...no, I will not show you my paperwork, it's none of your farckin' business...but I will show you this: :tongue1:

"OTD at $4180 with all fees and taxes paid sounds like a very decent price to me."

Yes, it is a "decent" price, it's just not necessarily the "best" price. I hope you're not wasting someone's hard earned dough with ill-informed guesswork.

You can buy a lot of farkles with another coupla hundred bucks or so...

·
Registered
8,356 Posts
"...There always seems to be someone who claims they got theirs new for $3699 OTD but I sure would like to see the paperwork on that..."

Gary...no, I will not show you my paperwork, it's none of your farckin' business...but I will show you this: :tongue1:

"OTD at $4180 with all fees and taxes paid sounds like a very decent price to me."

Yes, it is a "decent" price, it's just not necessarily the "best" price. I hope you're not wasting someone's hard earned dough with ill-informed guesswork.
Interesting term, "Ill Informed". Lets see, like you, I was the GM at a very large Honda, Kawasaki and KTM shop down along the Hatfield/McCoy trail system between KY and WV. I am now 15 years away from the business but I damn sure do know a bit about things and how they work. I paid the floor plans on all those machines that sat sometimes for years and yes, we sure did blow them out well below even our bottom line prices. I would need to know the actual dealers invoice price for a new TW which I do not. I would suspect it to be in the high $3,000s such as $3850. Sure, some of us could possibly stumble upon a nice left over a small shop just wants to be rid of and get a smoking great deal. Too bad these are few and far between and it takes some searching, negotiating and probably some travel. I did find one here a few years back for $3500 but add the 8.5% NY taxes and it became $3800 and there was no further dealing from there. I stand by my statement that $4180 OTD for a current year 2018 TW is a very decent deal and I never said there is no better deal out there, just go find it. We are talking maybe $100-$200 difference and who knows how far away that might be and the travel costs associated. I would not drive 200 miles one way to save a hundred or two when there is one close by at a decent price. We did sell quite a few, mostly ATVs at severe losses but never to our own local customers. We had companies that bought 3 and 4 year new leftover machines in Lots and they were from out of our general area and of course the business accountants did their magic at tax time showing the losses. As a dealer there was very little profits to be made selling new units and we made our money on the accessories, financing and BS extended warranties. If we put a price of $4500 on a new TW you could be sure there was another dealer who would sell the same TW 50-100 miles away for $4450 and just like my dealership they would hope to sell financing, accessories and extended warranties.

GaryL

·
Registered
604 Posts
By the time I spent the money for fuel and food and hotel to drive 300 mi. to Reno, 230 mi to SLC, or 250 mi. to Boise, then out of state tax on the last two, I wasn't saving any $. Made more sense to Hebrew what I could out of the local dealer. Got what I wanted for what I was willing to pay, and felt good supporting local business. Small town pride n all. Go Spartans!

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
Here is a 2018 TW200 with 207 miles that I bought used one week ago for $3,900. The original bill of sale lists the dealer price at $3,976.58, and an OTD cash price of $5,400. This is a California bike with California taxes and fees. Yesterday, I agreed to sell it to one of my neighbors for $4,500.

YMMV.

IMG_0730.JPG

2018 Yamaha TW200 - Original Bill of Sale.jpg

·
Registered
8,356 Posts
Here is a 2018 TW200 with 207 miles that I bought used one week ago for $3,900. The original bill of sale lists the dealer price at $3,976.58, and an OTD cash price of $5,400. This is a California bike with California taxes and fees. Yesterday, I agreed to sell it to one of my neighbors for $4,500.

YMMV.

View attachment 183938

View attachment 183940
Thanks Brian but I will take the brand new one with zero miles and full warranty for $4180 out the door and feel like I robbed it. Pretty sure you neighbor buyer will have to pay sales tax when he goes to get the plates.

GaryL

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
TWs are like Jeeps

Interesting term, "Ill Informed". Lets see, like you, I was the GM at a very large Honda, Kawasaki and KTM shop down along the Hatfield/McCoy trail system between KY and WV. I am now 15 years away from the business but I damn sure do know a bit about things and how they work. I paid the floor plans on all those machines that sat sometimes for years and yes, we sure did blow them out well below even our bottom line prices. I would need to know the actual dealers invoice price for a new TW which I do not. I would suspect it to be in the high $3,000s such as $3850. Sure, some of us could possibly stumble upon a nice left over a small shop just wants to be rid of and get a smoking great deal. Too bad these are few and far between and it takes some searching, negotiating and probably some travel. I did find one here a few years back for $3500 but add the 8.5% NY taxes and it became $3800 and there was no further dealing from there. I stand by my statement that $4180 OTD for a current year 2018 TW is a very decent deal and I never said there is no better deal out there, just go find it. We are talking maybe $100-$200 difference and who knows how far away that might be and the travel costs associated. I would not drive 200 miles one way to save a hundred or two when there is one close by at a decent price. We did sell quite a few, mostly ATVs at severe losses but never to our own local customers. We had companies that bought 3 and 4 year new leftover machines in Lots and they were from out of our general area and of course the business accountants did their magic at tax time showing the losses. As a dealer there was very little profits to be made selling new units and we made our money on the accessories, financing and BS extended warranties. If we put a price of $4500 on a new TW you could be sure there was another dealer who would sell the same TW 50-100 miles away for $4450 and just like my dealership they would hope to sell financing, accessories and extended warranties.

GaryL
Thanks. I think the TWs are like Jeeps in the sense that they sell themselves. I had a dealer tell me once that there are little to no incentives for someone wanting to purchase a new Jeep because they sell themselves. No real discounts or a lot of wiggle room because they are on the wanted list for consumers. I have to laugh when I pass by a dealership with a big sticker down the side of the vehicle that says $10,000 off!!! What the hell?!?! That makes me feel like it was priced 10gs to high, and still it sits on the lot.

I plan on working with my local dealer. I do not want to drive 4 hours into the city to get a better deal 1 way when I plan to have any service done locally. Gas, tolls and my time would negate any possible savings. I also do not want to get all the way down there and find out that they quoted me the “Not out the door” price accidentally. We are sorry about that...here is a coupon for a free oil change, come back down and see us. HAHAHa.

I also got the TW hooks set in even further this weekend. We were up on the Hudson River at a canoe access site unloading when I heard a motorcycle coming down the dirt road, small 1 lung’r. A TW cruised by at a easy pace, big smile on his face. Yup....that looks like where I am headed for sure. Cruising the back roads on that goat, low-n-slow....

·
Registered
8,356 Posts
Thanks. I think the TWs are like Jeeps in the sense that they sell themselves. I had a dealer tell me once that there are little to no incentives for someone wanting to purchase a new Jeep because they sell themselves. No real discounts or a lot of wiggle room because they are on the wanted list for consumers. I have to laugh when I pass by a dealership with a big sticker down the side of the vehicle that says $10,000 off!!! What the hell?!?! That makes me feel like it was priced 10gs to high, and still it sits on the lot.

I plan on working with my local dealer. I do not want to drive 4 hours into the city to get a better deal 1 way when I plan to have any service done locally. Gas, tolls and my time would negate any possible savings. I also do not want to get all the way down there and find out that they quoted me the “Not out the door” price accidentally. We are sorry about that...here is a coupon for a free oil change, come back down and see us. HAHAHa.

I also got the TW hooks set in even further this weekend. We were up on the Hudson River at a canoe access site unloading when I heard a motorcycle coming down the dirt road, small 1 lung’r. A TW cruised by at a easy pace, big smile on his face. Yup....that looks like where I am headed for sure. Cruising the back roads on that goat, low-n-slow....
Hey Jeephead, I live in Sullivan county NY and near Orange county, NY. No dealers here are very conducive to dealing on TWs but I have heard from some members that in Middle PA some dealers do discount them quite nicely and especially if they are 1-2 year old left overs. $3699 was one price I did hear and with 6% tax you are still up around $3900.

GaryL

1 - 20 of 23 Posts