TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

The seller claims it is a 1994 but I am not sure.

GaryL

·
Registered
503 Posts
my 94 is blue with the red seat. Not sure but I believe yours to be an 87-88. No data plate on the steering head? Should say year

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
That right there is what we refer to as "the black widow". I believe it's an '88 but someone will chime in and correct me if i'm wrong.

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
I think it is an 88, the 87 came in red and white or blue and white. It is the black widow like PalmStateCrawler said.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I saw a 89 on cl in portland oregon that was that color' could be they changed the plastic and tank on it. we all know that's been done before. Almost looks like the plastic been painted to me. Maby is's a early tank and painted plastic???:confused:

·
Registered
395 Posts
Most common google search results

·
Registered
395 Posts
Also, you should be able to google the VIN and get the info you want.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
true enough you could swap the tank and plastic, but the case on the motor was silver for a '94. unless they changed out everything and sprayed the motor and swing arm.... it's not a '94

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Well, I am supposed to take a long drive tomorrow to pick it up and the seller says it is a 94 with a title. Red flags are blowing in the breeze at this point!
nothing seems to match so I do suspect there has been some mix and match going on. The tank does match a 88 but the engine and frame are black and should be silver for that year. I have not seen the steering head or vin number or the title yet so I may be driving for a can of worms. If it is in decent shape I want the bike but I sure don't want one I can't get registered. More than a few TWs have been put together from parts and pieces and as long as it is the right numbers it will fit in my game plan and probably get totally rebuilt and reprinted any way.

Thanks for the responses and I will be in contact with the seller today to get what ever info I can before my trip.

GaryL

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Well, I am supposed to take a long drive tomorrow to pick it up and the seller says it is a 94 with a title. Red flags are blowing in the breeze at this point!
nothing seems to match so I do suspect there has been some mix and match going on.
GaryL
a '94 frame should be smurf blue. it could be a case of mix and match, but they did a thorough job of making it look like an 88.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I honestly don't care about the color combinations. Most important is the numbers and title match. I know my 91 came in two different color combos and they are completely different, purple tank and seat with white plastic and black frame with silver swing arm. The other color was black tank and plastic with purple seat, black frame and silver swing arm. Both had silver engines.

My engine number matches the number on my steering head and the title but I know for sure my 91 is unmolested and exactly as it came from the factory. This one could have been pieced together from a few bikes or just repainted but it sure does not look like a 94 at all.

Reactions: littletommy

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Keep us posted, I hope its not a long drive for nothing.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OK, sealed the deal and it is a 1988. He was reading the date the title was issued which caused his confusion.

Wish me luck that it is as he says it is when I get there and lay eyes on her.

I am hoping to have one to beat up on the trails and my 91 to show off on the local roads and keep looking like the pretty old gal she is. Maybe some pics tomorrow if all goes well.

I will need one blinker light if anyone has a donor or extra laying around.

GaryL and soon to be a double Dubber.

Reactions: littletommy

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
The black widows are highly sought after. If you restored it to look original, EVERYONE will want it. (or at least I would) ;)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts