TW200 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I am about to embark on a 225 swap, do we have a defined year range to ensure the wide ratio 6sp transmission? I have read every thread with varying information, opinions, and loose ends.

What years TTR have the wide ratio?
-I see listing for TTR225’s as new as 2004, I’m in the market for the newest cleanest donor for my swap. My concern is what year they went to a more narrow ratio on the gear box?

What years XT’s? I can also use these, but i heard the cylinders went to all aluminum after ~2004??

·
Registered
490 Posts
I think all TTR225s have the wider ratio gearbox, and the TTR230s got the narrower ratio gearbox, starting around 2005. Keep in mind that kick starters are not easily installed in most TTR cases.

I'm also pretty sure that all XT225s have the wider ratio gearbox. The later "nikasil" cylinders are nothing to be afraid of, as long as you find one that hasn't been abused. They can't really be bored out though, so if the cylinder goes bad, you'll have to buy a new one. The later (nikasil) engines also have larger cooling fins at the base of the cylinder, which cause a slight fitment issue, but nothing too difficult to figure out. You can see how I did it here: XT/TW Engine Swap Using Placerlode's Countershaft...

Also, kick starters can be easily installed on XT225 engines, if that's important to you (it is to me). If I were in your shoes, I'd be looking for a later model XT225 engine.

Have fun! (y)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
double the info! 😜

Do we know the exact ratios for 1st and 6th on the ttr transmission? How much wider then the tw200 5 speed is it?

I have ordered Placerlode’s extension shaft so that part will be easy. :)

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
mine is a 2003 ttr225 and i was able to farm out the right side cover to be grooved for the kicker seal. i gave the tw side case with it as a template and... voila!

the 1st- 6th speed is dreamy.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Copied from this thread: TW230 engine notes, XT225 & TTR230

... I remembered there were a couple of different 6-speeds, as well. (3rd through 6th are all the same, and 6th=0.793):

XT225/TTR225 tranny: 1st=3.090. 2nd=2.000

TTR230 tranny: 1st=2.923 2nd=1.889

For comparison:

TW200 tranny: 1st=2.833 2nd=1.789

TW 5th=0.821 TTR/XT 5th=0.925

So either 6-speed will get you granny gears AND overdrive.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
man I can run my 16 tooth front sprocket and Fly like I have Wings lol !!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
right on, that is perfect info! Thanks so much. I have a few bids out now on TTR’s.

I’m not super worried about the kickstart as of now... one day deep in the bush that may change 😂

Thanks and much appreciated

1 - 8 of 8 Posts