TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A local guy was advertising a 1989 TW200 for $900. It does have a Title.
I went and looked at and it looks rough. It is missing all the turn signals and mirrors and the rear brake/running light is gone.
It has no battery and no key.
The guy was able to kick start it within 3-4 kicks. I took it for a ride--it rode well and shifted well.
The switches for the turn signal felt 'sticky'. The general condition of the bike would be a generous 3-4/10.
I really thought one should need a key to be able to kick start a bike--has he bypassed something?
He said I could make him an offer but I said I need to do some research before I can do that. He has one picture in his ad and its a very bad picture.
I did not want to take pics making him think I was really interested, because in truth, I am not.
I know the motor works as does the kick start. There is a clean Title.
He said he really wants to sell the bike.
Should I run or make an offer?
Thanks,
Simba

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
If the tank is in decent shape and not rusted on the inside I would probably give something in the $300 to $400 range. It really depends on what you plan to do with this bike. If you just want a beater bike, this would be a good candidate. If you want a nice looking daily rider, this could easily take another $700 to $800 to get it there.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
If the tank is in decent shape and not rusted on the inside I would probably give something in the $300 to $400 range. It really depends on what you plan to do with this bike. If you just want a beater bike, this would be a good candidate. If you want a nice looking daily rider, this could easily take another $700 to $800 to get it there.
Agreed on this price range, maybe $500 if you're having a hard tie finding one but no more than that.

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
I was thinking 5 bills, maximum. That's a lot of work and looking for parts. If you are wanting to make a cherry garage queen, forget it. A beater bike, yeah ok. What did the odometer say?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The tank looked surprisingly clean--the rest of the bike looks beat up. I think the odometer was about 8K Miles.
Will plastics and tank from a more recent bike work? are all years interchangeable?
Thanks,
Simba

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
All years will work.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
thanks for all the replies.
Is it difficult to have a key made--I will have the VIN, If I get the bike.
Is it cheaper just to get an ignition switch and key from the dealer or fleabay?
Simba

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
If it has good paper.... 400 bucks, absolute max.

If it does not have paper.... 200.

There are so many better bikes out there, and with winter coming, there will be more available.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Are you kidding? It's a classic TW. Buy that thing and join the club. I paid $1000 for mine and would never sell her now. If I see another tw around a grand shes gone. Aloha

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Yeah I'd offer him $500 and go from there. It'll take a bit of work to bring it up to snuff and make it decently attractive.

·
Registered
108 Posts
If it runs and shifts and there is a Pink Slip, not Salvage title, and no back fee or penalties, I'd give $500 in a heart beat! The cosmetic stuff is easy. Truth is I might even pay more, and I'm a tightwad having learned from one of the best (elime). You have a leg up on this bike because you know it runs and shifts.

The bike is 26 years old. You can't it expect it to be in show room condition. If you are handy and can do your own work, getting the lights working, the seat recovered, switches unstuck, new mirrors installed etc are all cheap and easy. The biggest cost will be the tires. As far as no key, installing a new keyed ignition switch is no big deal. Besides there is a lot of pleasure derived from working on and improving your bike.

That bike doesn't look too different than the 89 I bought and have pictured in another thread. Mine didn't have signals, or mirrors, had a bad battery, age cracked tires etc. One exception being the new seat cover mine came with.

However if you don't feel confident (or have no desire) to perform the work needed or the bike has paper work issues, then all bets are off. Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
312 Posts
If it has good paper.... 400 bucks, absolute max.

If it does not have paper.... 200.

There are so many better bikes out there, and with winter coming, there will be more available.
:eek: no no no you can't utter those words on a tw forum....unless you mean a better tw:) I bought a 99 dr200 this summer for 500 with no title and spent 30 dollars on a lien sale and now have a title:)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hello friends,
Thanks for all the replies. You guys need to buy my 2007 that I have on sale here so that I can make room for this project.:p
The Seller is asking $900 but he has already indicated he will go lower. I have a whole set of plastics and a set of tires--so I can save money there.
The only question is that of space and time and don't need a project.
Thanks again,
Simba

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Too bad the photo doesn't show the true condition and we don't honestly know all of the underlying issues. The 1989 in robin egg blue is a one off year as far as the plastics color and even the seat cover saying Trailway instead of Yamaha. Depending upon the plastics real condition and the tank and seat cover you could easily sell that stuff off to another who is trying to bring an 89 back to full stock condition. Jumping the ignition switch is pretty simple so no key is needed but it will be easier and less expensive to buy new or used key locks than getting a key made.

I would probably pay up to $500 for that bike and plan on spending another $1,000 to bring it back to nice shape and ready to ride. Tires, chain and sprockets, cables, electrics and all that little stuff does add up pretty quick and worse if you want it to be a nice 1989 robin. Now, if you go do some research, a titled frame, wheels, forks, tank, seat, speedo and running engine and lots of other parts bring well over the initial outlay of $500. What you have planned for it has everything to do with how much to pay for it. If bringing it back to nice is your plan then keep in mind, once it is nice it will only be worth around $1500 and you will have all of that in it. If you flip all the parts you make money or if you cobb it together with stuff you have you end up with a decent beater that can get registered.

GaryL

Reactions: Smitty Blackstone

·
Registered
107 Posts
Start low. The cost of getting a key made and a battery and blinkers, etc. needed will bring your cost up quick enough. Good that he has a clean title. Agree with the person who mentioned looking for rust.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
He has agreed to $700 but I think he will go a touch lower.
My plan is to make it so it will have all the stuff needed to be street legal.
I don't need to have a perfect restoration.
i have all these parts in this pic below that will get used including a set of of ds tires.
Thanks for your help.
If I get it, I will need some help sourcing a couple of stuff.
Simba

I already have these parts from a 2007 or 2008.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Nice find. Go for it. It will be fun.

·
Registered
315 Posts
God if that was in California, if would have been in my garage so fast at his asking price (of course I would haggle) bit if he wouldn't go lower done deal still

·
Registered
765 Posts
A local guy was advertising a 1989 TW200 for $900. It does have a Title.
I went and looked at and it looks rough. It is missing all the turn signals and mirrors and the rear brake/running light is gone.
It has no battery and no key.
The guy was able to kick start it within 3-4 kicks. I took it for a ride--it rode well and shifted well.
The switches for the turn signal felt 'sticky'. The general condition of the bike would be a generous 3-4/10.
I really thought one should need a key to be able to kick start a bike--has he bypassed something?
He said I could make him an offer but I said I need to do some research before I can do that. He has one picture in his ad and its a very bad picture.
I did not want to take pics making him think I was really interested, because in truth, I am not.
I know the motor works as does the kick start. There is a clean Title.
He said he really wants to sell the bike.
Should I run or make an offer?
Thanks,
Simba

Is that near Dayton Ohio? I think I've seen it on CL

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts