TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like purchase a basic camera set up for some trial and other outdoor adventures.
I see basic Go-Pro packages on Ebay and they are about $250 with seemingly everything I would need to get going,
BUT I am not too familiar with the camera set ups,
Can anyone help me out making a wise choice in a set up to purchase?
Heres the basic Ebay package so we have a reference point.
New GoPro Hero Action Camera 32GB Ultimate Accessories Bundle Kit Set Package | eBay

Only issues with this kit is that I dont need light, Tripod and most of the accessories will gather dust,
Is there a better way to get into recording some events?
Thank you for your advice and help in this quest.
Peter B

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
I would like purchase a basic camera set up for some trial and other outdoor adventures.
I see basic Go-Pro packages on Ebay and they are about $250 with seemingly everything I would need to get going,
New GoPro Hero Action Camera 32GB Ultimate Accessories Bundle Kit Set Package | eBay

Only issues with this kit is that I dont need light, Tripod and most of the accessories will gather dust,
Peter B
Yes there is. Purchase a GoPro Sessions camera. It is small, weighs virtually nothing and is waterproof out of the box without any need for additional cases. You will receive two mounting bases with the camera and that should cover most of your needs for getting started. We bought one for our son this past Christmas and since then he has had it skiing, mounted on his hockey helmet and under water in the swimming pool at our hotel. This past weekend we put it on a tripod and used it for filming his golf swing. Great images and audio without too many useless features. The battery life is decent on its own which is good because it is not field replaceable.

Tom

·
Registered
312 Posts
I use a wasp tact cam and really like it, 189.00 and does everything I need and hooks up to my phone and also has a small screen on it, for the money I think it is worth a look for you....and they have great support to I was having a problem hooking it via wifi to my phone and sent them a email and had a reply within 30min turned out it was my fault but the guy was very nice and helpful.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I like the Tachyon "BikerCam" setup. It's a super simple camera, can take up to 7 hours of video while hooked into the bike's power (w/ a 64mb mini card), and the motorcycle accessory pack has mounting points for a handlebar as well as for a helmet and tripod. I took mine on my cross-country trip and got some great results. Was very sad when I lost it at Disney last year :(

I think the thing that makes the Tachyon great is it can also be added to your pistol or rifle for shooting events, tactical training, or even at a paintball game. It's just a very flexible setup.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like the Tachyon "BikerCam" setup. It's a super simple camera, can take up to 7 hours of video while hooked into the bike's power (w/ a 64mb mini card), and the motorcycle accessory pack has mounting points for a handlebar as well as for a helmet and tripod. I took mine on my cross-country trip and got some great results. Was very sad when I lost it at Disney last year :(

I think the thing that makes the Tachyon great is it can also be added to your pistol or rifle for shooting events, tactical training, or even at a paintball game. It's just a very flexible setup.

It is interesting,
I looked at the web page and am wondering if it records sound as well,
I may have to call them and ask as I would prefer sound.
Thanks for the link !

·
Registered
928 Posts
Yes, it definitely records sound. Not amazing quality, but not garbled either.

·
Registered
13,401 Posts

Peter B

Even though I have not personally used a GoPro, I think we have seen how good it is. If you have the money, I would get a GoPro.

Here are my experiences with different video cameras:

Current cameras I use is an ION and SJCAM:

ION. Very good picture with video stabilization but the sound is very sensitive. It's ok going slow on the trail, just not fast or in windy conditions. Mine does not have an external microphone. Get a model with an external microphone and place the microphone in your helmet out of the wind and you would be pleased.

SJCAM 1080. I got this for about $70. It's a Fake GoPro. The video is just ok. This camera does not have video stabilization and the picture is bouncy in trail conditions. Exposure is so so and the color is weird in certain conditions. The camera housing comes with a spare back door with slots in it for better sound. I haven't used it enough to see how well this works. In video's I have recorded so far I had the waterproof housing (back door) and it doesn't pick up the sound very well.

To see the difference between these two cameras go and see the video in my "Admirals version of Moab 2016", and watch the Metal Masher/Bull Canyon videos. The first couple are recorded with the SJCAM, and Bull Canyon is recorded with the ION.

I like the ION better but it's nice to have a backup camera.

Past cameras.

Tachyon. I had a different model than what LuvNot mentions. The Tachyon I had did not have video stabilization, the picture was poor when heading into the sun and blinked when going in and out of shadows quickly. Very hard to watch. My microphone was encased in the housing and was made for underwater use, thus, it did not pick up above water sound very well. Maybe the newer Tachyon cameras are better but not the one I used.

Contour. I used a friends contour with many videos in the past. I don't know if they make Contour anymore but the picture was good with decent stabilization. Sound was ok if on the trail but lots of wind noise and loud if used going down the highway. I'm not sure if they had external microphones.

·
Registered
291 Posts
That Tachyon seems like the way to go, no worry about batteries going flat, and the price is right. If I hadn't just got a Sony action cam bundle with AirMiles I'd be all over that one. Haven't used it yet, this thread actually inspired me to dig it out & mount it on the helmet. Nice that it connects to my phone & tablet wirelesly, I'm going for a ride next week, I'll see what the picture quality is.

·
Registered
928 Posts
This thread inspired me to reorder the Tachyon. Hope it will be here for next weekend's ride. It will be great to compare video and sound quality. :)

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
I have a go pro. Almost never use it.

Waiting for Sena to come out with the next generation of their 10c. It is a communications (Bluetooth) device with a camera. Mounts on helmet. Should be out next year.

Oh! Finally got a real helmet. Just got a Shoei Neotec. Love the modular. Pinlock, and the vents actually work really well. $560 to protect the two remaining brain cells.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Just received the Tachyon today. I'll put together a quick video and post it so you can see what it can do.

·
Registered
928 Posts
And... now I remember why I stopped trying to create videos. I HATE EDITING.
Anyway, here's a quick video I took last night. It's straight video, no edits beyond cutting out the end so you don't see my disaster of a house. :rolleyes:

Tachyon PROS: The unit is inexpensive - sub $200. It's tiny - it's roughly 1" square by 3" long, so is small enough to slip into a pocket and thin enough to not catch on branches while riding off-road. The camera is extremely easy to use - it's basically on or off, with video or photo options. And this unit can be mounted on almost anything - there are a ton of mounting options that come with the BikerCam, and other mounting kits are available for adding the camera to your pistol or rifle, to use in the car as a dash-cam, or mount on other vehicles.

Tachyon CONS: Even though the video is set at 1080p, the image quality doesn't appear to be quite as sharp as it could be. Audio quality leaves much to be desired. The sound is very muffled and often overwhelmed by wind noise.

Would I recommend it to others?

YES --- For an adventure camera that is compact, easy to use, has a ton of mounting options and is durable enough to use on long trips, the Tachyon works fine. Most adventure videos have added sound tracks or narration added anyway.

The Tachyon is a specialty camera. Anyone who wants a video camera that can record sound using an external mike and be utilized for stationary presentations, should use a traditional hand-held unit. But for adventure riding / skiing / biking / etc., the Tachyon is perfect.

EDIT: After posting this video, I messed around with YouTube's 'steady-cam' feature. It works surprisingly well to eliminate up the minimal shakiness you see in this video. I did not add it because I wanted you guys to see the raw footage. This afternoon I'll take another video using the same helmet clip-on mount, but add the rubber water boot onto the camera to see if it can eliminate the wind noise. Stay tuned!

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
The Tachyon does seem to be a pretty good camera BUT the GoPro Sessions that I recommended is also $199 and comes completely waterproof and with the same WiFi capabilities as it's big brothers. The sessions camera is roughly one inch squared and well..... it is a GoPro. Just another option is all.

Tom

·
Registered
928 Posts
Certainly! I'm not putting any other camera down. I just want to give examples so folks can see what it can or can't do. Ads from the manufacturers make everything super cool and perfect. Sometimes it helps to have first hand views from actual users to be able to judge.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Tachyon CONS: Even though the video is set at 1080p, the image quality doesn't appear to be quite as sharp as it could be.
I prefer to use a --720p @ 60 frames per second-- setting if available over a 30fps setting, as it helps smooth things out at motorcycle speeds.

·
Registered
291 Posts
So this is not exciting footage by any means, but it's my first try using the Sony action cam.
You are gonna want to turn the sound off, or at least way down, the wind noise is horrible.
This is also my first time uploading a video to Youtube, the quality is a lot lower than when I watched it straight from the memory card.
I'm pretty happy with it. Fairly compact, stabilization works great, picture quality is beyond what I expected (I haven't had a video camera since the 80s), connects with my phone & tablet easily, and the price was right ;) (airmiles).

·
Registered
928 Posts
And here's the second video with the camera on the helmet clip-on mount, under the rubber rain guard and YouTube's 'steady-cam' applied. I'd hoped the guard would cut down on the noise, but it did not.
All you get is a 1 minute clip this time. This one is super short because I became side-tracked by the airshow. The Blue Angels were flying today! I caught the tail end of their show from the grocery store parking lot. Unfortunately, the camera wasn't on yet and when I did turn it on, it was angled too low. Wouldn't ya know it... by the time I got to the air base, their show was over :( Maybe I'll catch it next year.

·
Registered
928 Posts
One of the things I like about the OTHER cameras listed here is their ability to link to a phone. Tachyon doesn't do that, and there have been times I wished I could review footage, but have to wait until I get home to do so.

·
Registered
13,401 Posts
I like the fact you're experimenting and will ultimately figure out the limitations and how you will use your camera. My ION camera has a wi-fi hookup but I'm to dumb to try & figure it out. I tried once and failed.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts