TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Whats a seized up TW worth

3K views 25 replies 16 participants last post by  vysion 
#1 ·
A friend of mine has a TW200 he used on his farm. I've been trying to get him to sell it to me and today I found out he seized it up. First I need to know what it's worth (I don't know the year or miles) and second how much of an issue this is going to be to rebuild. I just rebuilt an 82 honda xr500r, will it be somewhat the same process? (depending on what damage I find inside)
Thanks,

#2 ·
Free sounds good. What's he going to do with it??

#4 ·
Welcome to the forum by the way!! :D Good luck with the buy, keep us posted on how it goes.

#5 ·
I bought a parts bike that was seized up. After inspection I found the gear behind the clutch broken. The guy wore the front sprocket down so bad that the chain jumped the sprocket and broke the gear.

Reactions: jtomelliott49
This post has been deleted
#6 ·
The '87s are basically worthless, except to a few delusional people that eat a lot of donuts. :p
Why you rotten "Son Of A TWinky". I oughta cream you. :D

#8 ·
#9 ·
Other issues?

I was just thinking. If they ran it out of oil, along with the seized up piston I could have issues with the transmission etc. If I can work a price out with him I'm thinking of draining the oil to see if theres metal parts but how else can I guess the extent of the damage without opening up the motor? Would it be easier to just get a new motor? Would it need to be a TW200 motor or are there other motors out there that would be a direct bolt in? Thanks,

#14 ·
I was just thinking. If they ran it out of oil, along with the seized up piston I could have issues with the transmission etc. If I can work a price out with him I'm thinking of draining the oil to see if theres metal parts but how else can I guess the extent of the damage without opening up the motor? Would it be easier to just get a new motor? Would it need to be a TW200 motor or are there other motors out there that would be a direct bolt in? Thanks,
Don't get an engine yet. These usually are pretty easy to fix all things considered. Try taking the spark plug out first and looking inside with a strong light. We'll help you through this, so report what you find and see first.

#10 · (Edited)
Hey Fred, I just noticed something. Remember the other day when you mentioned that donuts might not be the best way to get a nutritional breakfast? he he

Well...look at the picture that you just posted. See it?
It says.."Wholesome goodness".

Wholesome

adjective

I've been doing it right all these years!!!!!! No wonder I've lived so long!!!!!! :eek::D
I'm the Healthiest Dude on the forum bro!!!!!! :eek::p

Donut Eaters Everywhere...Rise Up And Be Counted!!!!!! I am #1, no matter what TWilight says!!!!!! I know I eat more donuts than him... :p Well, now to think of it; he did eat a huge caramel apple in 2 bites once... ;)

#13 ·
Well, in 16 years, I've probably only missed one day not eating donuts. The exact opposite!! ha ha ha ha :p

#17 ·
Thanks for the advice

Thanks for all the replies and Donut Advice.
I did some searching and it sounds like it's less likely that there will be transmission issue but that the damage is probably isolated to the top end. If that's the case I feel like I can handle that repair. My friend told me he would try to let me know today if he would sell it to me, or I'm guessing his other option would be to take it to a shop for repair, and I think once he gets a price for a shop to do the repair, he will sell it to me. I've heard nothing but good about these bikes and if it's not this one, I will be getting one. Seems like the perfect "get me to my secret fly fishing spot" in the mountains of Utah.
Thanks again for the advice.

#22 ·
Thanks for all the replies and Donut Advice.
I did some searching and it sounds like it's less likely that there will be transmission issue but that the damage is probably isolated to the top end. If that's the case I feel like I can handle that repair. My friend told me he would try to let me know today if he would sell it to me, or I'm guessing his other option would be to take it to a shop for repair, and I think once he gets a price for a shop to do the repair, he will sell it to me. I've heard nothing but good about these bikes and if it's not this one, I will be getting one. Seems like the perfect "get me to my secret fly fishing spot" in the mountains of Utah.
Thanks again for the advice.

After our return from Moab, I completed a top end repair on my wife's TW and it wasn't too hard. Even making a homemade valve spring compressor wasn't too hard. Wife's pretty happy now with a new piston, rings, both valves, and camshaft. One of the valves and the cam-shaft had to be replaced after I had it all back together. I forgot to tighten the cam sprocket bolt and for some reason, it caused more damage. Oops. Anyway, if you buy it and tear it apart I've got some pictures I can share if you want. Good luck!

#18 · (Edited)
Transmissions are real sturdy on the TW. Look at the oil that has been sitting in it. If is not rusty and wet, you're probably good on the lower end -- sprockets and other "wear-ables" not withstanding. If the top end hasn't been rebored previously, you have two more oversize "bores" to go. I have a good 0.50 OEM piston, if ya need it. $10.00 should cover postage.

Oh ya! Wrecked "farm" TW = $0.00 Give him $200.00 later, after you get it running. Seriously, I gave only $750.00 for a very good 1998 with only a few missing bolts.

#19 ·
It’s a farm bike, that was ridden until it seized – not looking good ….

Breaking it for parts – about 200 bucks – everything on that bike is likely to be wrecked

Re-build – you might get lucky, maybe not – doesn’t hurt to tear it down and take a look, but if the guy let it run out of oil, that’s a lot of engine bearings to sort through. You can get a top end (or parts) from Ebay for about 200, but that still leaves the rest of the bike.

Tyres and tubes – 200 - Wheel bearings, swing arm bushes/bearings, steering head bearings, chain, both sprockets, air filter, brakes – another 200 – and that’s the cost without any engine parts - (and that’s a lot of work). Hell of a project if you decide to take it on ……

Figure on 600 to 800 to get it back to street life if there’s no oil in the sight glass – 400 to 500 if there’s still oil in it.

Does he even have title ?

And yes – it will need a tw200 motor – too many complications otherwise, some electrical, some to do with the unique length of the counter shaft ……

#20 ·
Sounds like you know what you're doing as far as rebuilding it. I would think you would get a good deal at two hundred bucks. If you need to replace all the parts/bearings as Purple suggests, you will have a TW that you know is right, rather than paying $1500 for one with unknown problems.

And TWilight is delusional. The '87 is the fastest, bestest model year of the TW. Ask LT. He and I know about these things.

#25 · (Edited)
I would not pay more than 80 dollars for a farm bike that is tore up and put away wet. And that is only if I HAD to have that model or it had parts to fix something I already own.
WAY too much stuff to replace. Save up some money and get at least a bike that runs.

I used to try to save every damn rusty relic that looked like it used to be a motorcycle.
Nowadays, I buy a better class of crap, and spend less money and time.

One day I'll tell you all about the $20k 66 Ducati that is worth maybe 4k......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.