TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
19,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While Sue of the SanDue Duo spoiled me with tasty home cooking on our group ride I have a hankering for something new and exotic.
I stopped at this new Chinese restaurant but their menu has a few new items I'm not so sure about.
Can anyone recommend these items?

PIckled Mustards Salmon Head
Fried Yellow Cracker
Mao Xue Wang Pork Blood
Dry Pot Pork BungGut

I may just try their appetizers and get some Jelly Fish mixed Cucumber or Mined Ginger Preserved Duck Egg.
Are these really delicacies? I did notice that they are located kind of close to the landfill. :cool:

·
Registered
19,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yeah, but will she Mao Xue Wang?

Now I did notice in the Vegetable menu they have Sizzling Lamp. What's that?

Actually some of the best domestic Chinese food I would get would be in San Francisco's ChinaTown by going down alleys finding second story hole-in-the-wall places where no one speaks english and just pointing or mimicking. Amazing flavors whatever it was, usually for only a few dollars.
So experimenting can be good, broadens one's horizons. If you own a TW you have already experimented with the unusual.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Yeah, but will she Mao Xue Wang?

Now I did notice in the Vegetable menu they have Sizzling Lamp. What's that?

Actually some of the best domestic Chinese food I would get would be in San Francisco's ChinaTown by going down alleys finding second story hole-in-the-wall places where no one speaks english and just pointing or mimicking. Amazing flavors whatever it was, usually for only a few dollars.
So experimenting can be good, broadens one's horizons. If you own a TW you have already experimented with the unusual.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I don't have much taste for the fancy Asian foods. A steak and salad with fries or mushrooms and I'm 1000% set. A bit of delicacy with the Xhosa is "walkie talkies" chicken heads and feet boiled and served with "pap"(porridge made from maize meal) & "marogo"(wild spinach). The pap and marogo is great, the rest I'll skip, another delicacy is cane rat fried over flames and that isn't bad at all.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
What? No Mountain Oysters on that menu?

GaryL

·
Registered
147 Posts
What? No Mountain Oysters on that menu?

GaryL
They are a New Zealand favorite :LOL:
As a child I enjoyed fresh cow intestines scorched over an open flame at my Dad's slaughter house as well as raw fresh beef liver sprinkled with salt. Those were great times:)

·
Registered
7,046 Posts
........best domestic Chinese food I would get would be in San Francisco's ChinaTown by going down alleys finding second story hole-in-the-wall places where no one speaks english and just pointing or mimicking.
Sam Wo's on Washington St. was the best! Entered through the kitchen and then walked up some narrow stairs to the dining room. Want a beer? "You go across street to store and buy and come back." Always open, rude waiters, always busy, great place, good food. Last I heard they were shut down by the health department. To bad.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
Well I'll tell you, sheep nuts :LOL: (Here we call them Karoo oysters, after the most predominant sheep region)
Nuts for sure but could be from any animal and not just sheep. Growing up my grandfather was a very frugal man and always said from a pig "You everything but the squeal". Mom always made tongue from the beef cows but never told us kids until we got older. It was a favorite of my dad's and the evening we were having it and she spilled the bean of what it was my sister had a mouthful and immediately puked right at the dinner table. Me and my brother went back for seconds. I draw the line at Brains and have never tried any that I know of. If we Americans only knew what goes into ground meats and hot dogs we likely would never eat them again. Asians have some foods that just don't get on the menu here unless you specifically search them out. We eat beef, swine and sheep and we actively hunt deer, bear, moose and all sorts of other animals yet we don't eat horse meat but your dog sure does.

GaryL

·
Registered
147 Posts
I draw the line at Brains and have never tried any that I know of.
It's exactly the same as marrow, and I don't eat either thanks.
Any red meat and I'm good, pork is not too bad either, but chicken is vegetables to me, but I prefer real veggies though. We used to have a franchise buffet restaurant group that served all manner of unusual types of food, and there I had elephant roast that tasted almost the same as buffalo, and the weirdest I had there was crocodile. It probably wasn't prepared right as it tasted like old meal bags. Springbok is still one of my favorite game meats, on a braai, or a roast or biltong.

·
Registered
839 Posts
A couple years ago while in Texas, I had Rattle Snake at a "interesting" restaurant. It was pretty good Have tried Mountain Oysters, I think I would have enjoyed them if I did not know what they were......I'm a visual individual.

·
Registered
19,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Seeking shade late one hot West Texas morning I realized my chosen creosote bush, the only shade available, was harboring a 4 foot western diamondback who buzzed me.
western-diamondback.jpg

I killed him, then hiked him out to my dozer operator who skinned and grilled him over a small fire with a bit of garlic salt from his truck. Very tasty tender white meat reminiscent of chicken. He also did a great pit slow roasted javalina . Who says men can't cook?
pig.jpg

However for 'gator, sweatbreads and rocky mountain oysters I usually leave the preparation to our local Basque restaurant staff.:cool:

Wonder how some of my neighbors might taste. They eat my garden so I should be able to eat them, right?
buck 1:20.jpg

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
It is all in the preparation and the cooking. My buddie's mother is a real farm girl from birth and a fabulous cook where wild game is on the menu. He brought a big pot of his mom's stew to work one day and we all loved it. Meat was tender and very tasty and we all thought it was bear meat. Then he told us him and his dad had to shoot a couple groundhogs, Woodchucks in the pasture and his mom cooks anything they kill except skunks and possum.

GaryL

·
Registered
905 Posts
I've had alligator (or was it crocodile?) before and the consistency was like chicken...but the flavour was not.
I found it quite tasty and even went back for seconds...and brought some home.

How do you tell the difference between an alligator and a crocodile?
It depends on if you see it later, or in a while.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Seeking shade late one hot West Texas morning I realized my chosen creosote bush, the only shade available, was harboring a 4 foot western diamondback who buzzed me.
View attachment 203074

I killed him, then hiked him out to my dozer operator who skinned and grilled him over a small fire with a bit of garlic salt from his truck. Very tasty tender white meat reminiscent of chicken. He also did a great pit slow roasted javalina . Who says men can't cook?
View attachment 203075

However for 'gator, sweatbreads and rocky mountain oysters I usually leave the preparation to our local Basque restaurant staff.:cool:

Wonder how some of my neighbors might taste. They eat my garden so I should be able to eat them, right? View attachment 203076
If your neighbors eat your garden and you eat them. Does this make you a vegetarian?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts