TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if anyone else has named their dub? If so, why? Mine is babe. Cauee she was blue and is an ox. :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
I juat call her "Dirty" just because it's never clean, and when shes clean.... it's not for long...

My Dirty girl :D

·
Registered
385 Posts
The Bogini [that's Polish for Goddess] named him "Junior". I've tried to come up with something I like better, but this name sticks.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
I name mine after obscure historic figures that I happen to admire for equally obscure reasons.

The T'dub is "Hi Jolly".

Each of my succession of KLR's has been christened "Hiroo", after Hiroo Onoda.

If you know who either of them were, we BOTH need to get a life.. :p

·
Super Moderator
18,122 Posts
Very cool Lizrdbrth...
Had to go look them up to see.

Don't anyone tell... !!
Make the members go look and see for themselves and post a comment.

Don't anyone tell!!

Very cool though!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'd read about Onoda in the past, but forgot his name. The determination of the man... has got to be one of the most epic accounts of human endurance ever. Puts me in mind of Shackleton's adventure. Lizrdbrth, I'd love to know your obscure reason for admiring Onoda, that is, if its different from the obvious.

Hi Jolly... Wow, that is an obscure one.

Impressive.

Btw, I've had my TW for 3 months and haven't found a name I like yet. Still thinking.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
I'd read about Onoda in the past, but forgot his name. The determination of the man... has got to be one of the most epic accounts of human endurance ever. Puts me in mind of Shackleton's adventure. Lizrdbrth, I'd love to know your obscure reason for admiring Onoda, that is, if its different from the obvious.

Hi Jolly... Wow, that is an obscure one.

Impressive.

Btw, I've had my TW for 3 months and haven't found a name I like yet. Still thinking.
I'm not in the habit of naming inanimate objects (Except for my old Remington 600. "Lucille". Not very original). Out of dozens the only vehicles I've ever named were my 5 KLR's (which I kinda treat as one. I fear change:p) one old truck and more recently, the TW. For me to name something the name has to jump out at me and give me my own private giggle every time I look at it.

Onoda was just one of those goofy things. For whatever reason I remembered his name and can recall exactly where I was the day he surrendered. Several years later I got the opportunity to make a bit of a study of him and whatever else the man may have been (Actually near as I can establish he's 91-ish and still kickin'. Nuff said.) as far as I'm concerned he forever re-wrote the definition of "tough". After failing to kill my first KLR at some point I thought to myself "This damned thing is tougher than Onoda".

Near as I can tell Hi Jolly may have been equally bada**ed and even more unsung, but mostly his life and story kinda ties in with local history and at one time I was gunna retrace the route of the Camel Corps, the hard way. That plan kinda fell apart, but it's still on my list. When I installed the 350 tank on mine it kinda reminded me of the hump on one of these and for now you might say it serves the same purpose, so I figgered it was time to name another bike knowing that if asked it would once again probably be best to keep it to myself. LOL :

·
Registered
41 Posts
Now it makes complete sense why you named those bikes what you named them.

And... Onoda was relieved of duty, there was no surrender!

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Now it makes complete sense why you named those bikes what you named them.

And... Onoda was relieved of duty, there was no surrender!
True that.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
so this could be your theme song?

;)
i learn something new everyday, and who knew i had a reason to stop in quartzite?

i stuck a wine label on my fender... now i call it "the devil's tractor"

·
Registered
29 Posts
Liz, dunno if I should be proud or ashamed of knowing who both were. My impression of both are similar to yours. I have visited Hi Jolly many times over the years. I cannot drive by and not visit.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I juat call her "Dirty" just because it's never clean, and when shes clean.... it's not for long...

My Dirty girl :D
Mine has been dubbed Dirty D, not by me however. Just like the woman for whom the bike is named, it brought my friend a few lifelong scars in addition to great pleasure and enjoyment.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Well, I finally figured it out. I grew up on a small ranch surrounded by other larger ranches and dairy farms. I have a lot of Mennonite cousins, and the horse is a big part of getting things done back home. Belgians, Morgans, American Quarters, and then there's my favorite, the Clydesdale.

Shorten it up a little to Clyde, and now my work horse has a name.

Reactions: maddawgj

·
Registered
7 Posts
I named my TW "Skippy", just because it's pretty much the golden retriever puppy of the motorcycle world.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I could call her 14. Because of her MASSIVE 14 hp or the fact that I owe nearly 14 times what I paid for her...:(

·
Registered
5 Posts
I call mine 'Roly-Poly' because like the lyrics from the classic song of the same name say's it's "Daddy's Little Fatty". Best name I could imagine for a fat-tired cutie like my 07' T-Dub!

The song has been covered countless times and here's a good version from the late, great Jim Reeves:

·
Super Moderator
18,122 Posts
I call mine 'Roly-Poly' because like the lyrics from the classic song of the same name say's it's "Daddy's Little Fatty". Best name I could imagine for a fat-tired cutie like my 07' T-Dub!

The song has been covered countless times and here's a good version from the late, great Jim Reeves:
Love it!

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
I don't call my TW anything cause it won't come if I call it. :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts