TW200 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put on a Cyclerack, and took off the OEM rear rack. Figured I would sell the old rack, which is used with a few scratches, but in good condition. I see on eBay they sell new ones for $98. Could not find a used one for sale, wonder what a reasonable price? $65? image.jpg

·
Super Moderator
18,049 Posts
That's a good price, sell it!

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Whatever you can get some sucker to pay is what it's worth. $65 might be expecting way too much, but you never know!

·
Super Moderator
18,049 Posts
A easy 50 is more realistic.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
I keep forgetting some people can't weld and I tend to base value on my cost. That rack would be easy to make from the scrap bin at my brother-in-law's tool and die shop free, so to me it isn't worth much. Since most folks don't have an excellent brother-in-law like mine I expect $65 is a bargain, especially if sold to someone else in Alaska, where shipping from the contiguous is ridiculous. It's great that everyone is happy!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hey guys I'm a newbie here, but wanted to say that shipping to Alaska isn't all that outrageous! We've got the same post office everybody else has and we get to ship and receive at the same prices everybody else does. It's a bit of a myth that shipping here is so expensive UNLESS-it's an entire automobile, motorcycle or RV. Thanks!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
One of the frequent problems on shipping costs to Alaska are that the sender will NOT use the postal service, and goes with UPS or FedEx and those companies send everything to Anchorage for sorting. Then there is no receiving agent in the small towns, so it has to then be handed off to an expediter, or sometimes....UPS puts it in the mail for final delivery! All adds up.
The other thing that happens is a seller will say FREE shipping, but to lower 48 only, even though they may be in say California, and closer to me than a customer in Florida....which seems unfair. I have had some vendors check actual shipping and then they make good, while others cite dogma and policy. We do it this way because that is how it is done. When this happens a $10 item with a $30 quote on shipping can happen...no sale!
I even get referred to the foreign shipping agent by some companies. Makes you wonder. I might set up a booth changing US dollars into Alaskan money for the tourists in the summer. It looks very similar, need to be careful.

The funny thing on this OEM rack I sold is that the buyer is the local Yamaha (outboard) dealer...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Yeah, I've had MAJOR damage issues shipping out with FedEx on muliple pricey items (guitars and amps), and never covered insured items when "They" were at falt. One was on video dropping box off truck, then sliding over 6' foot fence dropping over the other side by door instead of walking 20' around to place at door. Buyer had this on security video with time/date stamp matching FedEx delivery time to the minute. I lost $600 on that one which was a vintage tube amp. I "refuse" to use them and won't buy from anyone who ships with them. UPS is a close second but not as bad for me. I now use USPS only, or if to heavy or large for them, it's sold as local pickup only.

They should merge or partner together. Then they would be FedUp.....:p

·
Registered
807 Posts
Dont much care for fedex either but the one and only claim ever they made good on. I had bought a wheel/tire on ebay. Seller put it in a box and put "extra" cardboard at the hubs. Dont know what he was thinking that part of the hub is kinda sharp and would quickly tear through cardboard. The box was heavy and about the size of a tire so it was laid flat everywhere it went. Sure enough, when I got it the hub tore through the cardboard and was ground to pretty much crap. Took pics, sent them to seller. Seller apologized, contacted fedex, he had his money in less than 2 weeks, sent me a refund the same day. Told me to keep the wheel :)

I have a friend that owns an online biz. He ships several dozen packages a day through the USPS. Over the years hes had about 100 claims for lost/damaged items. NOT ONCE has the USPS paid out for insured items. He said he gets the exact same response every single time. In other words their policy is to deny regardless of what happened.

Ive never had issues with UPS. My driver knows me by name and will call my cell if Im not around to receive the package.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
That's cool. I had a UPS guy kinda like that. But not always bad happening at tail end of travel. And Yes, some people just have no clue how to pack a box correctly. When I got my XT225 tank, the seller just put it in an oversized box with "nothing" else. Just the plain tank flopping around in a big box. This was a metal OEM tank too, not a plastic Clarke tank. Geez, I was lucky the tank was ok, and only traveled about 70 miles. I was shocked when I opened the box, even feeling it when I picked it up. Are people really that stupid? I had packages lost by USPS, but not as a seller, only as never getting them. Tracking went to distrubution center and trail ended there. I guess their all the same really. I don't do the ebay buy fix up then sell thing anymore since I lost my inventory in the flood over 3 years ago. Just personal stuff and make and sell leather tank bibs I make for Harley's.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts