TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
I would say the Aprilia SXV bikes, but I think California revoked the registration ability of those. I had an RXV 4.5 and it was a really well made piece of equipment. 55-60 HP of smooth power and about 280 lbs gassed up is hard to beat.

Matthew

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would say the Aprilia SXV bikes, but I think California revoked the registration ability of those. I had an RXV 4.5 and it was a really well made piece of equipment. 55-60 HP of smooth power and about 280 lbs gassed up is hard to beat.

Matthew
Italian bike?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Yep, Italian.

They borrowed heavily from Honda, so the V-Twin used a pair of Honda 250 Uni-Cam heads. Footpegs and clutch parts could also be pulled from the Honda CRF450, so upgrade parts were available even though very few bikes were made. The side cases were magnesium, the center case halves were scandium, dry sump for extra ground clearance, they really went all out. Every time I did work on the bike, I was impressed with the build quality and the attention to detail.

The bike had an evap cannister mounted to the left side engine cover. You know it would break something in a crash and everyone would take it off, anyway. The evap cannister mounted using extra long case bolts, so your first thought is you will need standard case bolts. Nope, the band clamps holding the cannister to its plastic bracket were mounted with the proper case bolts. They actually gave you all the parts to take the bike to off-road ready condition. There were a lot of little details throughout the bike that made you stop and realize that they had put a lot of thought into making things work. Brass inserts where most manufacturers use plastic pegs, the headlight was off when you turned the key on and would not come on until after you pressed and let go of the starter button. Lots of little details that just add up to quality.

Matthew

Matthew

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Per your comment about the Aprilia:

But buyers beware: Riding this bike is the quickest way for you to end up in the back of a cop car. Whether motoring down the road on the back wheel, getting sideways entering a corner, or drifting the rear tire through corner exit, the Aprilia SXV 5.5 is a true hooligan’s dream.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/35/5678/Motorcycle-Article/2010-Aprilia-SXV-5-5-First-Ride.aspx

Reactions: Dusty

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Per your comment about the Aprilia:

But buyers beware:
the Aprilia's also had some engine problems in 07 that required engine to be sealed and the starter motors were junk...08+ these issues were corrected

How about the husqvarnas?
this was my 08 husky sm510r...it was a beast of a bike and so much fun...60hp, 260lbs dry, 6 gears, etc...the power to weight ratio is insane which makes sumos easily the funnest bikes to ride fast...so many good sumo platforms/stock rigs out there...Aprilia, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Kawasaki, KTM, Suzuki, Yamaha and so on...the most reliable choices would be drz400sm, wr250x, wr426 & wr450...typically the faster they are the more maintenance they require and the less reliable...spend some time over on supermotojunkie.com for more info

·
Registered
470 Posts
The KTM 690 is a fantastic machine:

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
The KTM 690 is a fantastic machine:
the bigger cc engine sumos are not really a true sumo for racing on a dirt track, more of a street/paved track oriented sumo...at just over 300lbs so they are a little heavy for having only 66hp but still a blast of a bike and i think they are a little more reliable than the smaller cc race sumos...unfortunately they are not available in the US anymore but used ones can be found...and the 690 enduro r is the same bike and can be converted...if i was in the market this bike would def be on my short list since it wouldn't need much conversion work...used street legal sumos in the US tend to be a little harder to come by and new ones even harder

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Ryan...hey, if you don't mind me asking...how much did you sell your Husky for?

And, being that you did have that bike, maybe a silly question but, if you could have any two Supermotos, what would they be?

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Thanks Ryan...hey, if you don't mind me asking...how much did you sell your Husky for?

And, being that you did have that bike, maybe a silly question but, if you could have any two Supermotos, what would they be?
sold it for $5500 with some extras which was probably high price-wise but it had really low mileage and the extras were things that would would need to buy anyway...that second part is a tough one cause it's hard to get a lot of sumo bikes with a street title and then i would probably want one for fun (i.e. fast, light and maintenance heavy) and one reliable (i.e. slower, fatter and less maintenance heavy)...i don't really know that i could choose just 2...i would want to go new if money wasn't an object but there are plenty used and older models that are still great bikes...it all comes down to the intended purpose...

ktm 500exc (street titled, have to convert), husaberg fs570 (street titled, no conversion needed), husaberg fe501/husqvarna fe501 (basically the same bike, street titled, need to convert), ktm 690 enduro r (street titled, have to convert), yamaha wr450 (need to street title, need to convert), yamaha wr426 (need to street title, need to convert), suzuki drz400sm (street titled, no conversion needed)...the drz would be the most reliable of the bunch but also the least fun being heavy and underpowered...the 500exc/fs570/fe501s/wr450/wr426 would all be in the same category of race type bikes and the 690 would be the outlier more for street duty...fs570/fe501s would be a little more of a pain as far as available dealers and the fs570 suspension probably wouldn't be good offroad...if i had to pick only 1 it would be a street titled wr450 with 2 sets of wheels so i could go both on and off road, their 5 valve design is proven to be reliable...picking 2 is way harder than picking 1...i'll have to think about it a bit...

there is also the fe250/350/450 from husqvarna and husaberg and the ktm 350exc-f which would be street titled but need conversions for fun smaller cc bikes as well

here are a couple that i found on CL in my area that i would be interested in...but there aren't many used choices out there...
2011 husaberg fs570
2006 ktm supermoto

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Awesome...thank you Ryan...I may be in dreaming stage right now, but I would love to get one of those bad boys

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I would love to have one of these. MegaMoto

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So, the WR 450 isn't born with a street title?

But is it born with headlight/taillight/signals/horn?

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Awesome...thank you Ryan...I may be in dreaming stage right now, but I would love to get one of those bad boys
no problem...your sumo choice should be tailored to the kind of riding you want to do, the amount of maintenance you want to do and the reliability you're hoping for...some of these are street legal race bikes and require a lot of maintenance and are less reliable than others...i will say that it is the most fun you can have on a bike aside from a TW...it just takes a little getting used to cause the seat heights are really high and therefore the center of gravity is carried higher...they are also not for highway use aside from very short trips...some of the race engines don't like a constant droning rpm, that's not what they are built for...plus they are light and will be pushed around by the wind, very uncomfortable skinny seats and if you let off the gas a little the bike slows right down quick and the front end dives...so if you plan to do any type of highway riding these are not the tool for the job

I would love to have one of these. MegaMoto
i've never seen this bike before...pretty cool...not really a sumo but def looks fun...if i were to go for a bike like this i think my first choice would be a ktm duke 690 or a husqvarna nuda 900r

So, the WR 450 isn't born with a street title?

But is it born with headlight/taillight/signals/horn?
stock it has a head light and a tail light and doesn't have a street title...would need signals, a horn, i think it would need a bracket for brake calipers (not positive), and sumo wheels and street tires...if you could find one already converted as well as street titled it would be a good choice for a mix of fun and reliability...the ktms, husqvarnas, husabergs and drz i listed usually come with street titles and everything needed for the street, they just need sumo wheels/street tires/brake caliper brackets...the yamahas are the only ones that need conversion and titling but they and the next best step up in fun from the drz while still maintaining some reliability and not getting into a race engine

2014 Yamaha WR450F Virtual Reality

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
the ktms, husqvarnas, husabergs and drz i listed usually come with street titles and everything needed for the street, they just need sumo wheels/street tires/brake caliper brackets...
no problem...oh and if you go used some of the older models are factory set up sumos meaning street titled and no conversions needed...like my old bike and the CL bikes i posted

·
Registered
765 Posts

·
Registered
908 Posts
SM's are a ton of fun. Mine is a Husqvarna SM610. It's something like 56hp and 309lbs dry (not the super light racer like some of them). But it's a torque monster. Rolling along at 30mph in 2nd gear, roll on the throttle, and the front tire comes right up nicely. Or you can just putt-putt around like a TW. And the maintenance schedule on the 610's is easy, almost as nice as a DR650 or so. Many of the high-strung SM's require a fair amount of maintenance (oil and filter changes, valve adjustments, etc), based on hours of use rather than miles ridden.

You can setup SM's for street or dirt!
Mine when it started:

And how it is now (on the left):

1 - 20 of 30 Posts