TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gotta Love Maryland Crabs the ultimate family get together. My daughter Victoria waiting for the rest of the family to sit down.
image.jpg

·
Registered
334 Posts
South African's are big fans of braais (sounds like: bry-s) which you guys will know as BBQs.

In my city though, the local "delicacy" are bunny-chows, which is a hot/spicy Indian curry, served in a hollowed out loaf of bread, and eaten with the hands if you're up to the challenge (It's a bit of an art)

They are most commonly a mutton curry, but Chicken, Prawn and Bean varieties exist as well, as some of our Indian cultures can't always eat meat for religious reasons which means the Beans (which are also cheap) are the second most commonly available variety.

We have a large Indian population (the largest Indian population in the world outside of India), which came from indentured labour which sugar-cane farmers bought out from about 1860-1911 and many stayed after their contracts were up and settled.
During our Apartheid years, populations were segregated, so these Indian labourers would buy meals from restaurant' windows which they had to take away, and packaging being very limited back then, their curries were often sold to them in hollowed out loaves of bread and so this meal has become a favourite with South Africans, and in particular us Durbanites.

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
Gotta Love Maryland Crabs the ultimate family get together. My daughter Victoria waiting for the rest of the family to sit down.
View attachment 10424
Used to Love Fresh Steamed Blue Crab back in my days staying with my Uncle's Family in Wilmington, Delaware, during the early Air Force years, before Vietnam...sadly in 1974 I developed one Hell of a reaction to Crab Meat....no rhyme or reason, but that ended my days with the Blue Crab meals....:(

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
Friday night Fish Fry. Long standing tradition in Upstate NY.
Wisconsin is famous for Fish Fry Friday Nights as well, we always make sure we have a Friday open when visiting the wife's folks and family there.....people here in Ohio have no clue as to what they are, or what they are missing:

Wisconsin pre Thanksgiving fish fry 1.jpg Wisconsin Fish Fry.jpg

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Yep, Blue Claw Crabs here too, if you saw my fishing thread. Season is over as of 2 weeks ago. Now gotta wait 9 months for more, that SUCKS....:(

Hey Rick, bring some to the Pines ride. I'll bring a small grill and a pot....

·
Registered
20,169 Posts
Great story Mr.Painter, and the bunny-chow looks delicious.
Nevada with it's basque sheep herding history has popular basque family dining. You sit at a big table elbow to elbow with other patrons and staff brings big bowls of soup, fries, beans, bread,salad which are passed around, wine too. Individual entrees are then served with usually a choice of sweetbreads, steak, chorizo, pork chops, or fish. Nice way to meet strangers and spill food on them.
Reno has an annual big BBQ rib cook-off competition that draws competitors and hungry tourists from all over. The smell of over 30 tons of smoking pork ribs during the week must drive local dogs nuts.
No regional cuisine dominates, but around my house the BBQ goes year round for grilled salmon,trout,streaks, tri-tip roasts,shrimp, chicken, veggies and Polynesian marinated meats. Simple hamburgers are probably contenders for regional cuisine. It all tastes good!

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
Here on the Gulf Coast sure it is Grouper(fish) but my wife and I love snapper(fish) better :) gator aint bad either tho ;)
Growing up on Florida's Southwest Coast{Venice} Caught a Large Variety of Snook, Red Snapper, and even the Mammoth Grouper{Jewfish}, well my dad caught this one back in 1956, me and older brother Mike just horned in on the photo shoot::D The rest were caught by me, and mom knew how to cook em' up:

[/ATTACH] patwithredfishvenice1957.jpg patmikejewfish2.jpg Vencie Florida April 1956.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Growing up on Florida's Southwest Coast{Venice} Caught a Large Variety of Snook, Red Snapper, and even the Mammoth Grouper{Jewfish}, well my dad caught this one back in 1956, me and older brother Mike just horned in on the photo shoot::D The rest were caught by me, and mom knew how to cook em' up:

[/ATTACH] View attachment 10463 View attachment 10464 View attachment 10465
Hoot, When I got that Little Red Flyer wagon for my birthday I thought I died and went to Heaven. You think it's just a red wagon but if you look at the bend in the handle, that is so when you kneel in it and push with your other foot you can steer better. Big tires, bent handle, a bicycle, some rope and a few years prior to a physics class! Still have the scars and the memory of Mr Lawrence saying.... It's ok, when he gets better he can fix the fence! Not to hijack the thread, it is Striped Bass in my town, Blackfish and Seabass are also really good. I really enjoy going to my Brother in laws house in Severna Park, MD for Blue Crabs.

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
Being the health food fanatics we are known to be here in upstate NY I would say Buffalo Wings rank as #1. I could be wrong but in my neck of the woods #2 would be a Reuben sandwich.

Tom

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
Being the health food fanatics we are known to be here in upstate NY I would say Buffalo Wings rank as #1. I could be wrong but in my neck of the woods #2 would be a Reuben sandwich.

Tom
Love Great Reuben Sammys.....as good as it gets when they are made right ;)

Reuben.jpg

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
1 - 20 of 59 Posts