TW200 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been planning a route up to British Columbia through Idaho. The Gem State is not co-operating. Magruder Corridor...closed until August. Lolo Motorway... closed till who knows when. I just have read that Baumgartner Rd that I planned to take from Ketchum to Pine is out of commission. Due to last year's fires... there's lots of deadfall and erosion. Not making things easy.
Starting north from Salt Lake City on Thursday... but we don't know where we're going!

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
"but we don't know where we're going!"

And that is different from most days, How? ;)

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm....well, not at all, now that you point it out. :p:D

·
Registered
13,324 Posts
I have been planning a route up to British Columbia through Idaho. The Gem State is not co-operating. Magruder Corridor...closed until August. Lolo Motorway... closed till who knows when. I just have read that Baumgartner Rd that I planned to take from Ketchum to Pine is out of commission. Due to last year's fires... there's lots of deadfall and erosion. Not making things easy.
Starting north from Salt Lake City on Thursday... but we don't know where we're going!
Baumgartner is going to be out for quite a while. Magruder is being worked on but probably won't be open in time for your ride. Lolo motorway has reports of massive amounts of deadfall.

Best to call the Forest Service when you get close to decision time to make sure. Also keep an eye in the PNW Thread on Advrider. Discussions about these routes are inter-mixed with normal ride traffic but there can be a lot gleaned from the conversations. You can ask a question in the PNW thread and get a pretty fast response too!

Here's a couple I've read about some of the information you have just found out about. Good luck. ...and do call Flathats as he has good first hand knowledge of the region he lives in. Helped me out a ton when I went to the South Hills a few weeks ago.

Baumgartner conditions | Page 2 | Adventure Rider

Next in the B.D.R. series - IDBDR | Page 23 | Adventure Rider

Palouse Riders | Page 140 | Adventure Rider

Boise ride this weekend... | Page 455 | Adventure Rider

This is the single track bypass in the Baumgartner area. Not so good is it? F.S. does plan on repairing the road one day but I bet it won't start this year! (my opinion).

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mike, that is pretty much my plan at this point. We're going to head to Logan, UT and then to Pocatello. Up through Craters of the Moon on the east side to Arco. Arco to MacKay, then west to Sun Valley. Then over to Pine.
North on approximately the BDR. Magruder and Lolo made a loop...so I guess that's out. I was really looking forward to those.

Jim, sometimes....after these bad forest fires, and the resulting needs for cleanup of the deadfall, and after really harsh winters, those kinds of roads/trails take time to reopen...as you well know.

The digital info on what is open, and what is not, is not as up to date as the boots on the ground info.

May I suggest that you get to SLC, retrieve the bikes from locker # ^%^, and get riding in the "direction" you want to go, and when faced with an impassable obstacle, ask the locals in that area....if I can't get from Point A to Point B this way, which route IS open. Usually the locals know much more than the bloggers will post.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks, Admiral. I saw the photo you posted last night....yeah, I think we will pass on that route. :D A couple of those threads I'm not familiar with, and I will check them out.

Baumgartner is going to be out for quite a while. Magruder is being worked on but probably won't be open in time for your ride. Lolo motorway has reports of massive amounts of deadfall.

Best to call the Forest Service when you get close to decision time to make sure. Also keep an eye in the PNW Thread on Advrider. Discussions about these routes are inter-mixed with normal ride traffic but there can be a lot gleaned from the conversations. You can ask a question in the PNW thread and get a pretty fast response too!

Here's a couple I've read about some of the information you have just found out about. Good luck. ...and do call Flathats as he has good first hand knowledge of the region he lives in. Helped me out a ton when I went to the South Hills a few weeks ago.

Baumgartner conditions | Page 2 | Adventure Rider

Next in the B.D.R. series - IDBDR | Page 23 | Adventure Rider

Palouse Riders | Page 140 | Adventure Rider

Boise ride this weekend... | Page 455 | Adventure Rider

This is the single track bypass in the Baumgartner area. Not so good is it? F.S. does plan on repairing the road one day but I bet it won't start this year! (my opinion).

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There is an alternative from Ketchum to Pine.... Pm me for my #....
Thanks, Flathats. PM coming your way. I'll give you a call after we reach Utah.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Or Jim, you could head that way by means of Spokane...and we could do lunch on me and get a little visit in... :)
Thanks, littletommy! We could go out for a donut, at least!

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
Thanks, Flathats. PM coming your way. I'll give you a call after we reach Utah.

Ketchum to Pine? Seems easy to me. I'm not aware of these restrictions. Typical problems with internet info...they may be out of date. By YEARS! :mad:

Last time I was up the Lolo it was perfectly fine for a TW, two years ago. The problem with using the internet for these kind of planning issues is that the info is either completely wrong or out of date. I use the internet for initial planning but then try to contact the ranger district for up to the minute info. This does not always work, but when I actually get there on a specific day I always stop at any FS station and go in map in hand. Bear in mind that info posted by nearly ANY entity is always REALLY conservative.

I agree about the Magruder, but not because I think it might not be passable, but because it is so badly burned for most of the way. Two years ago, the Lolo Motorway was mostly unburned, passable by mid-July and spectacularly beautiful. There are a LOT of options from Ketchum to anywhere in the PNW. although they may involve some pavement. You could call me for more info, anytime this week. PM with phone # sent.

Not only that, but we would welcome you for the night in Ketchum! I've been using your itinerary's for planning for several years! :D

Rocky

1 - 11 of 11 Posts