TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put a 47 sprocket yesterday and I'm really disappointed by my first ride.

After reading many positive posts about that setup for highway use I decided to give it a try.

The results are nowhere near my expectations.

It surely lower the rpm on the highway, but it's sooooo difficult to just hit 60mph! I don't know if I can talk of acceleration. I get the bike to 55mph in 4th, but as soon as I put it in 5th, it seems like all the power is gone.

What's wrong with my bike?

Tires are at 21 psi, chain got the right slack, brakes don't drag, the fuel is the same, in other words nothing have changed since the sprocket swap.

Am I too fat with my 200lbs for a 47 sprocket?

Could it be the weather? Temp was 20 degrees (F) less than average (50 instead of 70) with 100% humidity (was raining a bit). Not much wind...

I've search the forum to know if the TW was bike likely to react to weather changes, but the only info I found was related to altitude variations.

Your opinions and help are welcome!

Big thank ;-)

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Seems typical. I thought of going to 14/47 originally but as soon as I heard that you can pretty much ride at redline with no engine problems I decided to stick with the stock. I may even do a dual sprocket 55/50 on there one day if I can find an old chain guard I dont mind hacking up.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I dont have any problems with me and the wife on the bike with the 14/47. I have 14/47 on the 07 and 14/50 on the 98 and i like both ratio's.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your help guys.

I went for another ride this morning in the same weather conditions and got the same results. 1st to 4th are useful but 5th seems to do nothing but hold the speed on flat ground.

Warmer days are predicted for the weekend. I'll test the setup again. If it doesn't get any better, watch the trade section of the forum next week for a good deal on a 47T sprocket.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It would just worsen the scenario .... I'll get back to the stock 50 if it doesn't get any better with the 47.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I forget how many psi I ran, but it was at the high end of what you should run on the tires. Maybe 29? Don't quote me on that.

Also, my bike never liked temps below the upper-60's. I never rejetted below that temp because I don't like fooling with any bike that much and when I used it for commuting it was cool mornings and hot afternoons (it was setup for the afternoon riding...I'd rather have a faster bike on the way home than the way to work
).

The 47 usually provides the better first gear, but doesn't grab much upper speed, just lowers the rpm's...which can result in it struggling. But the speed at which yours is struggling seems low...I will say it's because of the lower temps.

Drive it for a week in different temps and different air pressures to get a more confident feel of its performance.

I had always wanted to try 15/52. It was lower than 14/47 to help the little 200cc's in 5th but would help keep 1st usable on the street (at least more so than the stock 14/50).

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm 300 lbs and my 14-45 set up pulls me around just fine. Actually pretty impressive if I crank on it. The carb was jetted before I got the bike so I don't know whats in there. Just that my plug looks a shade rich and I like it at that. Very consistant 73 MPG's

At your 200 lbs that bike should be working better than what you describe. Just my 2c.

Keep us posted.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Went back with the 50T this afternoon.

Even with my girlfriend on the back (300lbs total) the bike was pulling stronger in 5th than with the 47T. Could get it to 60mph easily, and even more!

What a waste of time and money was that 47T.

I guess that setup was not suited for the weather/temp up here.

Is there anyone looking for an almost new (about 100 miles on it) JT 47T sprocket?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I put a 47 sprocket yesterday and I'm really disappointed by my first ride.

After reading many positive posts about that setup for highway use I decided to give it a try.

The results are nowhere near my expectations.

It surely lower the rpm on the highway, but it's sooooo difficult to just hit 60mph! I don't know if I can talk of acceleration. I get the bike to 55mph in 4th, but as soon as I put it in 5th, it seems like all the power is gone.

What's wrong with my bike?

Tires are at 21 psi, chain got the right slack, brakes don't drag, the fuel is the same, in other words nothing have changed since the sprocket swap.

Am I too fat with my 200lbs for a 47 sprocket?

Could it be the weather? Temp was 20 degrees (F) less than average (50 instead of 70) with 100% humidity (was raining a bit). Not much wind...

I've search the forum to know if the TW was bike likely to react to weather changes, but the only info I found was related to altitude variations.

Your opinions and help are welcome!

Big thank ;-)
There's nothing wrong with your bike. I have thought and thought about changing my sprocket as well and after much reading on here I have decided to not mess with a good thing. The part I hate is where you talk about having to downshift after getting to 5th gear and I dont want that to happen to me. The way I see it, if I wanted more speed I would have bought a bigger bike. I like the TWs just the way they are.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Glad I saw this thread and thanks for reporting your experience. Will just go o-ring chain and leave the ratio the same.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I am baffled by the range of results.

The thing is, some people have gone with 44 and even 42 sprockets with great results. I put a 44t rear on and I love it. I mostly ride street and easy trails. On the street I travel in speed zones between 25 and 55 and I can keep up nicely with traffic. I have one long stretch of posted speed limit of 30. Traffic is going 30 - 40 here and i just keep up with the flow. I'm in 5th gear, running about 3500 to 4k and it just purrs. I rarely have to down shift for hills, but i do for curves. I didn't make the change to necessarily go faster, but to maintain speed at a lower rpm. My mileage is through the roof. I'm getting in excess of 80 mpg right now on the street.

just my humble opinion.

dan

·
Registered
701 Posts
My experiences with a 14/47 are similar to guitarman's, but maybe not as bad. When I got my 97 TW, it had a 14/47 o-ring setup on it that was ~50-60% worn. I ran it until the front sprocket needed dentures, then swapped out for a new 14/50 with EK oring chain.

What a *huge* difference the 14/50 made. The bike is much more responsive (in all gears, at all speeds) and generally a lot more fun to ride. The 14/47 was sluggish, and it was difficult to maintain speed: I rarely went over 50mph, hitting 55 was a *very conscious effort*, and I don't think I ever touched 60 with it. Besides, off-road I felt like I was lugging the engine way too much. I like to ride technical trails, climbing and bobbing/weaving around obstacles in the trail.

Now that it's got a 14/50, I barely recognize the bike: I ride to and from work happily at 55mph for about 15miles, accidentally ending up at 60mph if I don't pay close attention. Trust me when I say that *NEVER* once happened with the 14/47 setup. ..and what a dream offroad now!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I surely don't regret going back to 14/50. It's just an awesome setup for my riding style. I like to have a bike who respond well when I twist the throttle from 1st to 5th. With the 14/47 I felt like the 5th gear was useless.

I don't know why I had such poor performances with the 47. Maybe it's just a question of wind resistance. As i said before, I'm 200 pounds, but I'm not fat. I don't know what my shoulder width is, but I'm wider than the average guy. I guess I'm like a big sail on the small TW...

·
Registered
254 Posts
I surely don't regret going back to 14/50. It's just an awesome setup for my riding style. I like to have a bike who respond well when I twist the throttle from 1st to 5th. With the 14/47 I felt like the 5th gear was useless.

I don't know why I had such poor performances with the 47. Maybe it's just a question of wind resistance. As i said before, I'm 200 pounds, but I'm not fat. I don't know what my shoulder width is, but I'm wider than the average guy. I guess I'm like a big sail on the small TW...

Hello Guitarman, I am running 15/50 same as 14/47 and I love it. I have also run all the other higher combos and have settled on 15/50 for town and highway. I am 180 lbs but even with my son on back and loaded with camping gear we can cruise @ 55 to 60 mph (indicated) all day in 5th gear. We can also pull moderate grades two up loaded in 5th gear. I am not one who is comortable running at or near redline but our bike will run up to 70mph (indicated) pretty easily on flat ground. I beleive you are right in max torque range @ 55 to 60 mph with 14-47 / 15-50. We live on the Northern CA coast but have plenty of mountains up to 2000'. My engine is bone stock except for the 'forums famous carb mods', a bigger main jet, an iridium plug and I run mid grade gas. I don't think my bike's performance is unusual but it did take a bit of patience, tuning and guidance from our awesome forum. I certainly cannot say for sure, but it sounds like your bike is not performing to it's max potential? Have you moded the engine?

best regards, mac

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The engine is bone stock. We had cold and wet temperature past month. Now that it's getting warmer and drier, the bike seems to have a bit more torque and run better. It looks like the TW is a bit climate sensitive. That's no surprise you guys living down south can get away with lower ratio than me. I'm not 100% sure about that, but it looks like the TW came stock with such gearing in warmer (in general) parts of the world.

·
Registered
166 Posts
My 1996 OEM setup was 14-45 and only had a problem when the CDI was out of order.

Even riding 2up in the hills was no problem.

Temperatures do not get below 40 and most of the time it is warmer.

After upgrading to a complete 2009 electric system together with the new CDI it was running much better.

Now after changing to the cylinder and piston from a XT225, I use a 15-45 combo, have great pulling power in all gears and do easily 55 mile/h with 6500 RPM of the engine.

I do not need a higher speed then 55 and like the low rpm.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts