TW200 Forum banner

Front Tire Poll

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This would be for at least 50/50 or more offroad riding so the choices are geared towards trail riding. Feel free to vote whether you have had experience with any of the tires or not. I'll be upgrading soon and wondering what others thought about these fairly common choices.

Thanks!

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here are some pics for reference:

Michelin T63:

Kenda K270:

Kenda K760:

Dunlop D606:

Pirelli MT21:

·
Registered
100 Posts
I went with the K270, rides and steers better on the street, OK off the road but I still fall over in the deep soft sand

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Deoends on the nature of your offroading. The Trackmaster is the best in the worst conditions. Then the T63, D606, MT21, and K270. For street capability, you can pretty much reverse the order.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, being in Oregon, we ride on just about every surface and condition possible. But we also run pavement and gravel on our way to the trails on occasion... Plus I also ride to work 3-4 months out of the year (15 mile round trip across town)

I'm leaning towards the Kenda K270 in the 5.10 x 18 size. I have a used one in my procession as a mock-up and it looks more open & aggressive than the internet pic appears.

I've had the Kenda K760, Dunlop D606, and Michelin T63 on the rear of my old bike (DRZ400). I LOVED the K760 for all out traction. But for the front tire of the TW, the K270 seems like a closer match (performance wise and appearance wise) to the stock TW34 tire.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
The K760 is not the hot ticket for commuting. I have one. Love it offroad. Wears fast on the street, noisy, vibrates, handles funny all the time, but ultimate sloppy surface traction is fantastic. Do what I do, get a second front wheel. In addition to the Trackmaster, I've been running a TW203, which has lasted over 20,000 miles. Its tread is getting hard from age, so I'm switching to a Shinko SR244 (K270 clone) in 5.10 for the street as soon as the weather warms enough to putz around in the shop.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would love to have two sets:

1. Kenda K270 front, TW34 rear

2. Kenda K760 front, Bighorn rear

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Save your green stamps. There really is no such thing as a tire that works everywhere. Two sets of wheels is the way to go, especially on the front.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think I'll probably be ordering the K270 (5.10x18) in the coming days... That should be a good tire for most of what we do around here. It will be interesting to see how it does when we go to Moab in April!

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
The Kenda K270 is a good tire for 50/50 riding. It seems to wash out in sand and rocks. My Dad had the Kenda on his bike, but changed to the Dunlop D606 and has loved it. The Kenda is mounted up on a spare wheel and we use it as a spare for the both of us.

·
Registered
908 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
I went for the Dunlop 606. Will let you know. I just received it. Will be mounting it this weekend. I run it on my ATK605 and it is awesome.

Tom

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I got the new Kenda K270 installed today!
Size: 5.10 x 18

Here are some pics... some compared to the stock tire.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Kenda looks good too.

Little offtopic, but maybe you should do something to your Suzuki´s sill panel.
You have got some dents to it.

Something like this maybe, made of 100x50x3 mm bar:

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Teewee...

Yeah, the Sami could use some love (it is my daily driver)... It's been like that for so many years now, and it doesn't seem to crush in any more.
It's a tough little rig...

·
Registered
36 Posts
The Kenda K270 is a good tire for 50/50 riding. It seems to wash out in sand and rocks. My Dad had the Kenda on his bike, but changed to the Dunlop D606 and has loved it. The Kenda is mounted up on a spare wheel and we use it as a spare for the both of us.
i live in fl. ,,a lot of soft sand, hows the D606 up front??less wash out in sand?

1 - 20 of 53 Posts