TW200 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up this motorcycle wheel balancer at HF last week and used it to balance my front wheel:

http://www.harborfreight.com/motorcycle-wheel-balancing-stand-98488.html

You can get it for under $40 with a 20% off coupon.

It was able to balance within 1/4 ounce easily. The bearings on the balancer are extremely smooth.

Balancing made a huge difference on my T63 front tire. It was 4oz off...

...had it mounted at a local shop and I think the heavy part of the wheel and tire were exactly aligned.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I agree with you that balancing makes a big difference. There are people who feel it isn't necessary for off road riding and they're probably right, but it significantly improves riding at anything over 30 mph. I made the same kind of balancer with 4 bearings, a little 1/2" rod and some angle iron. It works well, but if you can get one for $40, that's a better deal since it probably took me 4 hours time to get all the materials together, etc.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
It looks to my like with the addition of a couple of adjustable pointers, it could serve as a spoke truing jig.

Phelonius

·
Registered
281 Posts
I've had the same one for three years. Only thing I changed was to swap out the chinese allen bolts in the cones for good old USA made allens. I bought assorted football shaped fishing weights at WallyWorld and redrilled them to the size of our spokes then I "hotdog-bun" sliced them with hacksaw so that you can pinch them on the spokes with vise grips. I'm very pleased with this cheap investment.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts