TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Cool. I am big into ice fishing but have never seen such smooth black ice here. We will not have safe ice until after the first of the year here in NY. Just how thick was that ice and what was the pole that appears to be propelling you?

GaryL

·
Super Moderator
17,923 Posts
The pole is his hand held camera G. Go get some more coffee...;)

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
So these are called nordic skates. I have nordic skiboots, bindings and poles that are sharpened. Then I just clip into the skates and go. That ice is as smooth as a mirror and is between2 and 6 inches thick. Ive skated on as little as 3/8 of an inch! Im on Big Lake. Today we skated 27 miles on that same area. Freaking love going out and doing that. Ill post more of those videos if theres interest in seeing them Im going to take the tw out on that later this week and shooot some film off of it. In many ways, wasilla is a real $#!Thole of a place to live, but I love it for the thousands of miles of offroad trails, and for the spectacular iceskating. For Those two things, wasilla is the nexus of the universe!

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
He will die happy then:) I have never seen a video of him at the DMV or post office.

Tom

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
He will die happy then:) I have never seen a video of him at the DMV or post office.

Tom

Believe it or not one project im going to do is do exactly that. Film myself doing normal day to day stuff like buying groceries, filing up with gas, checking my mail and so on. I shot some footage of my mom doing stuff like this and its surprisingly compelling to watch.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Used to be able to skate on lakes in Kansas. Can't anymore. The chemicals and dirt from the field runoff has made the water dark, so the sun warms it too much for ice to get thick like it used to.

It's so dirty now, one summer when it was 100+ I saw a motorboat crossing a lake, the water in the rooster tail was evaporating before it could drop back into the lake. The boat was leaving a trail of dust in the air behind it.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Do you get ice like this every year before the snow or was that just an exceptional year? I have had the same kind of thing across the street from my house but the ice was not so smooth. I just bought a beater XL185 that runs good... thinking of studding it up to run the lake this winter.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts