TW200 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While out riding today, a couple on a beautiful brand new BMW touring bike rolled up next to me in a parking lot where I stopped for lunch. The rider looked at me and smiled and said "watch this".... he pushed a button and low and behold his center stand deployed and slowly lifted the bike up on the centerstand by itself. I was thinking, what won't they think of next, smiled back and went inside for lunch.

A short time later when I was getting ready to leave, I once again saw the couple sitting on and standing next to their BMW again. He was looking through the owners manual and appeared to be in distress. He pushed the starter and the bike started. I figured all was good. He kept looking at the owners manual and started cursing, then telling his wife "it can't be the battery, cause the bike started and is running". "can't be the heated grips, cause their working", "can't be the heated seat cause its working"...etc. I finally couldn't stand it any longer and stuck my nose it and asked if they were having problems? "Its the electric center stand", "It won't go back down"! I almost died laughing! While he was sitting on the bike, I gently rocked it forward and off the stand.

He was amazed! As I was walking off, he shouted "what do I do until I get it into the shop to have it fixed"

Have someone push me off it everytime?". I bit my tongue and told him to use the sidestand

some folks have more money than brains.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
[quote name='tanner' date='14 November 2010 - 07:32 AM' timestamp='1289748766' post='7439']

if you don't put your ear to the ground, you'll never hear the buffalo coming.

[/quote

must be the altitude coming back down from the mountain as I don't have a clue what any of your comments mean?

·
Registered
78 Posts
That made me laugh so hard I about wet myself!!! It's funny what they think of. They probably paid an extra grand for that sweet "feature" that takes 2 seconds to do on your own. I guess it's true that the human race is getting lazier and lazier...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Now if the BMW feller didn't seem to be snobish, well actually he was snobish, his (BMW feller) after actions wouldn't have been as funny!

Not to be derogatory, but I don't think the BMW guy has the most common sense in the world either.

·
Registered
527 Posts
This post made me laugh. BMW's do have electric center stands and they happen to be standard fare and not an option. There is a reason for that. If you put a beamer on a side stand, the oil drains into the barrels and the thing smokes like hell for a bit out the left side when you start it up. Some of the earlier Goldwings did too, but my GL1800 doesn't seem to.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
This post made me laugh. BMW's do have electric center stands and they happen to be standard fare and not an option. There is a reason for that. If you put a beamer on a side stand, the oil drains into the barrels and the thing smokes like hell for a bit out the left side when you start it up. Some of the earlier Goldwings did too, but my GL1800 doesn't seem to.
That is because it has burned enough oil the level is now down too low to go into the left barrel.

Phelonius

·
Registered
553 Posts

The was mainly the 'K' series (the 'flying bricks'). I had one and as all cylinders TDC is on the left and they're horizontal motors; it was smoke time.

Don't talk to me about electronic failures though; I just bought an electric scooter....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts