TW200 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking lately about the current state of international affairs and I'm wondering about how we (and our two wheeled wonders) would fare in an economic crisis. Would our motorbikes become even more sought after as a means of inexpensive travel? Would it become an excellent bartering tool? How would the bike and the battery hold up in the event of an EMP?

I live in a quiet town with little resources for repairing the engine of a motorcycle. I'm more apt to find parts for a car either in a junk yard or at the local auto parts store. I have bicycles to use for emergency transportation but I'm unable to carry passengers on them. The nearest grocery store is 7 miles away~not that it's a big deal by car but by foot it can be somewhat trying. I am surrounded by farmlands so I will have access to grains and if things become desperate enough, I guess I can hand over the key of my motorbike for food.

What do you think? Is there an advantage to having a motorcycle over a car in uncertain times?

·
Registered
500 Posts
The problem I see with most post-apocalyptic scenarios, is generally, there will be two kinds:

1) The permanent kind
2) The temporary, geographically isolated kind

If the situation is #2, I think a motorcycle, particularly one that can be ridden off road, would be handy for evacuating yourself during an immediate threat. For example, when I lived in South Florida during hurricane Andrew, I-95 and the turnpike were gridlocked with people trying to evacuate north. In a normal car, this was pretty much impossible. But with a bike, you could make your way around and through this mess. Furthermore, post hurricane, a car would be useless with all the downed trees, but a bike could be used to move around more freely.

Now, under scenario #1, pretty much all modern conveniences will be obsolete or impossible to sustain for any length of time.

Unfortunately, a Mad Max scenario is not realistic. "The Road" however, is probably a better example of a realistic post apocalypse.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Yup to what nfpgasmask said^^. And if you were lucky enough to have fuel and a place to go you would make a nice target for someone that doesn't have what you have and wants it. Basically most of us will be history. I plan to be very quietly tucked away. Snares, traps, air rifles, bows might provide food...along with foraging. A winter like this one would be tough.

Will the electronic ignition on a TW survive an EMP pulse? Probably not unless you park it in a Farraday Cage....which you can easily build.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Good points all!

A TW can haul a big load of gear with a Cyclerack on the back and the right luggage, etc, so it could serve as a decent evacuation vehicle. A MC can definitely make it past barriers that would stop a 4x4. Of course, a MC of any variety doesn't provide the rider with much protection from environmental hazards such as radiation, chemical weapons, or high-velocity lead poisoning.

All depends on the situation, but whether it proves useful or not a TW is never a bad option to have!

If things shake out to a new standard of 3rd world poverty for the West, small displacement bikes will likely become the aspired-to luxury vehicle that they are currently for millions worldwide.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
But with a bike, you could make your way around and through this mess. Furthermore, post hurricane, a car would be useless with all the downed trees, but a bike could be used to move around more freely.
I live in tornado alley as well as near the New Madrid fault line and one of the things I carry is fix a flat in my car to get me through the debris and to safety if need be. I can see where having a mountain bike or an off road motorbike has a tremendous advantage over a vehicle when stuff hits the fan.

·
Registered
264 Posts
If a major natural disaster (or man made) were to cause a disruption in services it would certainly be beneficial to be able to travel using a minimal amount of fuel. In my opinion the TW with a cycle rack would be ideal.

If it wasn't necessary to travel, a garden would be valuable.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
dirtgirl, my home is also in tornado alley and near the New Madrid Fault. If a tornado hits, you'll either die or you won't, and undamaged infrastructure will be no further than a half mile walk. Concentrate on preparing to survive a direct hit from a tornado and walking out. If an major earthquake hits all the bridges will fall and the roads will turn to chunks, so you'll only be able to go as far as the nearest ditch with water in it. Unless you are near a major population center it could easily take months for FEMA to reach you.

In either case, with infrastructure debris, downed trees, and live power lines, you won't be riding anywhere for a while, and your car will be downside-up so Fix-a-Flat won't matter.

Prepping in our area means a concealed, defendable, and well-stocked earthquake and tornado resistant shelter in which to hide from the zombies.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Better be prepared to deal with them. In the case of a widespread disturbance of normal cultural patterns, within 3 days they will be eating one another. Millions will flee the cities within 3 days of the trucks stopping. They have nowhere else to go except to put one foot in front of the other. They will have to do whatever it takes to survive. He who shoots first eats best. Any attempt to travel will fail. Where ever you are, sooner or later, the zombies will arrive. You will either hide from them, kill them, or loose everything to them.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Some you guys are joshin',and some ain't.......all shit aside, that would be a very stressful time......With the complete disruption of daily life, some will take advantage of the situation to settle old scores-and,what better time?
The old saying bandied about nowadays-'When the poor have nothing to eat,they will eat the rich' will likely come to pass.Therefore the wiser man has (already) prepared him(or her)self to set at that table,whether it be in the role of a preparer or one of the diners......

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Such an apocalypse is a very real possibility. Those who preach morals and values will not survive.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts