TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An attempt to drive to the coast in the new Jeep even failed. After being stopped for several hours outside Merritt because of a traffic fatality, we were told we could wait several hours or head back to Kelowna. Doing that cost me another night in a hotel there and waking up to gale force winds and rain I called it and fought my way home. But not before picking myself up the Henry Big Boy in 44 cal. And I gotta say i am glad I did. This thing is a work of art. From its beautifully finished heavy octagonal barrel to its equally beautiful brass body and Walnut stock it's just an American company doing things right. Took her out to the range the next day and sighted in at 50 meters. 2" grouping and steady as a rock. The weight of the big gun really adds to its steadiness. Levering thru those 10 shells was slick and smooth. And the big surprise? About half the kick of a shotgun with a perfect out of the box trigger. Lovin it!:D

·
Banned
4,030 Posts

·
Banned
4,030 Posts

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
I know it's a pee shooter but my .22 Henry lever is one of my favorites
I also have one and have more fun shooting it then other rifles.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Stepped down even farther. Got the Savage .17 WSM Bmag in heavy barrel stainless. Most fun of all my toys but the Big Boy may change that. Incredibly accurate at 200 M. but the problem is seeing the holes on target even with a spotting scope.

·
Banned
4,030 Posts

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
in my opinion henry makes the finest lever actions out there. That 44 would be a sweet gun! I have an older jm marlin in 30/30 that i play with a little but have always wanted a short 45-70. Anyways congrats on your purchase.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Nice! .44 Mag is a great levergun round. I kept talking myself out of one for years because I already had leverguns in .45/70, .30/30, .35 Remington and .357 Mag. What can a .44 do, I asked myself, that my .45/70 won't do better? Then a friend offered me a '70s Marlin 1894 in .44 for a price I couldn't pass up. I've been enjoying it for several years now.

·
Registered
13,401 Posts
New gun! Holy crap anole, I thought I was in heaven yesterday when for the first time in a year I found .22LR bullets. I've checked the local Bi-mart every time I'm in town for the past year and nothing, nada, can't help you. So yesterday I thought I would humor myself and sauntered back to the sporting goods counter to ask. I think they recognize me I've been in so often. I about peed my pants when the clerk said they did. Then she even started explaining the different quality level of each brand. All I heard was blah blah blah 300 for $16 blah blah blah 300 for $23. I said yes. And so close to Christmas too!:icon_santa::eek:ccasion14: encore.gif

Watch out Whistle Pigs. I've got backup this year!

·
Registered
177 Posts
I have been looking for a lever gun in .45 long colt since I have these around already...the Henrys are nice rifles I have a buddy with one I have put several hundred though and my god they are frikkin sweet....congrats!

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have a Ruger .357 and had considered buying the gun in that caliber but wanted a little more umph. Needless to say finding ammo for it is a bit of a chore. It also takes 44 special but I have not seen any of that yet.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
New gun! Holy crap anole, I thought I was in heaven yesterday when for the first time in a year I found .22LR bullets. I've checked the local Bi-mart every time I'm in town for the past year and nothing, nada, can't help you. So yesterday I thought I would humor myself and sauntered back to the sporting goods counter to ask. I think they recognize me I've been in so often. I about peed my pants when the clerk said they did. Then she even started explaining the different quality level of each brand. All I heard was blah blah blah 300 for $16 blah blah blah 300 for $23. I said yes. And so close to Christmas too!:icon_santa::eek:ccasion14: View attachment 24335

Watch out Whistle Pigs. I've got backup this year!
Sounds like you got a good deal on that. I remember when a brick was 8 bucks, 22 is through the roof now. I ran across a shop that had one brick and a tub of 1400rds, I bought them both. Never know when it will totally dry up.

When in AK I picked up a couple of guns. The Marlin 45/70 In stainless with the open lever for mittens and a 454 casull for a sidearm with an 8inch barrel that is ported. those ports are amazing, keeps the pistol from jumping up. Only take it when in the bush. I might be table fare for some that make the bush home, but at least it give me a fighting chance.

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
Sounds like you got a good deal on that. I remember when a brick was 8 bucks, 22 is through the roof now. I ran across a shop that had one brick and a tub of 1400rds, I bought them both. Never know when it will totally dry up.

When in AK I picked up a couple of guns. The Marlin 45/70 In stainless with the open lever for mittens and a 454 casull for a sidearm with an 8inch barrel that is ported. those ports are amazing, keeps the pistol from jumping up. Only take it when in the bush. I might be table fare for some that make the bush home, but at least it give me a fighting chance.
You'd almost be as tasty of a treat as me Plumb!! ;) Those critters like the big guys...

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Did you know the guy in the last (really bad) Jurassic movie has now made the Marlin stainless 45-70 famous. Apparently it's all the rage when your Dino hunting.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
My Marlin is a sweetheart of a gun but I recently adopted a Winchester 94 made in 1952 that looks like it is still in the box. It is so beautiful and I spend an unhealthy amount of time looking at it but I still want a Henry Big Boy.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts