TW200 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to buy a larger pilot jet and a richer needle. I did a search on the web and all I can find is rebuild kits with stock jets. My Yamaha dealer says they only list one size pilot. It has a #31. Thanks,

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
I don't think anything else in the Yamaha lineup has ever shared the CV version of the carb, so it's possible that Yamaha lists only one jet. On the early slide version of the carb there are still a few options because that version was shared with the XT600 and a couple of other bikes, but they'd be entirely too big for your CV because they start at about #40. IIRC correctly the jumps are #40, #42, #45 and so on, but nothing smaller.

Spudrider may have some ideas for ya. They used a slightly more interesting and tweekable version on the Zongshens and he kinda be da' man on those.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. The more I read, the more I think that I won't be able to buy want I need so I'm going to modify my current pilot jet. If anyone has drilled there's I'd love to know what size it is stock and what size you went to. Thanks,

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
I don't know if the taper is any richer but I think I read somewhere that the Zong needles still have their clip notches. Musta been a Friday down at the EPA's office.

The CV is a bit slow-witted compared to the early carb. It's barely noticable, but there's a definite lag between "twist" and "go", if that's what you're trying to eliminate. Could just be the nature of the beast, but then I've never tried to eliminate it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The CV is a bit slow-witted compared to the early carb. It's barely noticable, but there's a definite lag between "twist" and "go", if that's what you're trying to eliminate. Could just be the nature of the beast, but then I've never tried to eliminate it.
I would call my situation a bog or serious hesitation. Thanks again for the reply.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
I would call my situation a bog or serious hesitation.
I agree with this comparing my stock '05 to a well tuned XR250 with a flatside I used to own... I may need to look into the pumper kit that ProCycle will be offering soon...

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
I want to buy a larger pilot jet and a richer needle. I did a search on the web and all I can find is rebuild kits with stock jets. My Yamaha dealer says they only list one size pilot. It has a #31. Thanks,
This is what I put in my TW.

With a properly tuned carb, the TW has no bog or hesitation... as long as the problem isn't caused by something else.

jb

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Well there ya go. The suffix "17" should indicate a number 34 jet.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I stock the OEM needles for 2001+ and the main jets in #130, a little larger than stock, if you need those items.

I also stock the o-ring for the float bowls, cylinder head gaskets, shifter rubbers, sprockets, air filters, oil filters, levers, Cycleracks, etc.

We're TW200 friendly here!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I called every dealer in Ohio and no one stocked the #34 pilot. The last guy I called said he would check his dealer parts locator, no one had it. I called my local dealer back and he ordered it from Yamaha. There are 10 at the CA. warehouse. Retail was $10.95.

·
Registered
161 Posts
It took some digging to locate this thread to locate the pilot jet part number. Would be so great if an admin could amend Qwerty's Carb Mod thread with the part number. Partzilla and Bikebandit both recognize it- for an xt250. 5LB-14342-17...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Jb, I have been following your carb cleaning write-up- great guide!!!! One of the pics shows a K&L kit of wires for cleaning out dirty circuits. Did you find this helpful and where did you get the kit???? I have my carb apart now waiting for some parts. I ran my small ustrasonic cleaner with just dish detergent/water mix- I'll pick up some Pine Sol and run that as well. How long does it typically take to do a good ultrasonic cleaning and should the solution be warm to hot to start??
thanks, Frank

·
Registered
229 Posts
I agree with the 34 pilot and biker44 on cleaning also the jets slime up on todays gas and you need to us spray carb cleaner to blow the out . A fake eye on the work bench to divert the spray away from your eye is helpful too
That said I have drilled out jets using a sewing needle in a power drill . as they have a taper you can mark the needle to keep track of your progress.
My 2007 carb works so good I don't know what the jetting issues you guys are talking about . Course I keep fresh gas , nothing over 20 days , and run avgas once in awhile

1 - 14 of 14 Posts