TW200 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys,

I took apart my ignition switch to troubleshoot the intermittent power supply issue.

While taking the 'cylinder' off the bike a spring popped out and I can't figure out where it is meant to go. I tried it in the position as per the photo, but it didn't feel right. Key was difficult to turn. So I removed the spring, cleaned all the contacts and put the rest back together. Seems to work fine. I would however like to return the spring to its correct place. Any ideas?

Also, the contacts seem to have been lubricated with something. I have now cleaned this off and want to re-lube ... what type of lubricant would you recommend? (conductive or insulating?)

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,232 Posts
No solution to you're questions, but is your key turning when inserted or just that nothing happened when the key was turned? I'm curious if there are tumblers inside besides the contacts which you're showing.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Key turns when inserted. If I put the spring in as per the picture then it turns but doesn't feel right. Looking at it now, I thought perhaps the spring might go in between the black plastic switchplate and the metal "cam" which the spindle fits into. i.e. in between pictures 2 and 3 if that makes sense. So it basically pushes the the switchplate up towards the moving contacts. I just didn't see any telltale scuff marks that are usually left by a spring on either the rear of the switchplate, or the cam. So I'm stumped.

·
Super Moderator
17,626 Posts
It's probably the spring that has to be depressed within the ignition to turn it to lock.

·
Super Moderator
4,706 Posts
You'll need a lube that is non-conductive (given that we're at opposite ends of the world, I'm reluctant to name "brands") .............

1 - 10 of 10 Posts